Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why so much hope in Prioleau at SS?

skinsngibbs4life

If you take the fantasy football approach that wants a proven star at every position by the day after the draft then I guess it's a worry. Of course that attitude has produced some really big offseason mistakes in recent years.

There are four guys competing to team with Sean Taylor and each of them has an advantage over what happened last season:

Prioleau: Smart player and good cover safety who wasn't available last season due to injury.

Fox: Came in at the end of preseason and never got a proper opportunity to learn the system. He figures to be better after going through the offseason program and a full training camp.

Stoutmire: Knows the system and played well last year ... for another team.

Doughty: Small-school rookie should be better with a year of experience and offseason training.

One of these guys should step up and be successful. As much as this board obsesses about safety, it's hard to remember that it is the least important position on defense. It's also a position that emphasizes the mental aspect. If you are where you are supposed to be it can't be that bad. All four of these guys should score well in that regard.

Good points and well layed out. I may be confused with play action can you educate me on how play action affects what members of the secondary most or what positions are most influenced by playaction? Are we okay with the Cover2 or Tampa 2. I once read something about 3 deep what is that. I know the coverage called depends on what you see or what you think you see. Playaction and the Cover2 : Is it good for us or not? Your take?

hey folks........reality check :)

the Redskins are not going to draft Landry at #6 and pair him with overall #5 pick Sean Taylor from 2005.................

so, this is the group of safeties we are going into 2007 with, unless a veteran is released over the summer that can come in on a one year deal.

as a fan I am a LOT more concerned about what we are doing on the DL and how things are going to shake out on the OL in re depth.........than about who is going to start at strong safety, perhaps one of the EASIEST positions to fill the gaps with :)

I agree with you but the Redskins lately seem to disagree. It's all about the bigtime Safety's like Archuleta and his record contract and no name leftovers on the DL. Our DL is almost exclusively guys other teams would never start.

Archived