Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why so much hope in Prioleau at SS?

skinsngibbs4life

There are a lot of people on here saying that we are fine at SS, and that it will not be an issue next season. I have to ask why?

Are we really that comfortable with a perenial 2nd stringer coming off a major knee injury being our starting safety?

Can someone please tell me why I should be optimistic about him, and why he is not a concern?

He knows the system and andre lott didnt seem to do much last season. Also Shawn Springs would have to learn a different position and that takes time. CB is a lot different than SS. More involved in the run stop and more of a zone coverage opposed from the CB position being primarly Man

Greg Williams had enough faith in him that he pushed for signing him to begin with and he was most likely slated to be the starter last year before he got hurt by the strength of his pre-season play. He played in Buffalo under William’s system there so that’s a plus. I think Prioleau getting hurt last season was a bigger deal than most people realize.

In a defensive system you need guys who play well within the SYSTEM not just guys who may have 1st round draft level skills. The sum is greater than the parts.

The injury is a concern. If healthy I like him a lot.

Ade Jimoh, Renaldo Wynn, Phillip Daniels, Warrick Holdman all knew the system. Knowing the system can only get you so far

I agree to a point but none of the guys you mentioned played for Williams in Buffalo where he was the head coach. Daniels came from the Bears. Wynn was inherited. Holdman played for the Browns and Jimoh was drafted.

I guess you could argue they have played in the system since they've been here a while but this is a little different.

He knows the system and andre lott didnt seem to do much last season. Also Shawn Springs would have to learn a different position and that takes time. CB is a lot different than SS. More involved in the run stop and more of a zone coverage opposed from the CB position being primarly Man

Andre Lott didnt do much because he hasnt played here in 2 years.:rolleyes:

Im not sure about PP though. Do you really pay a guy to be the higest paid player at his position (AA) and then have him as a "situational" player? Also, no one is going to look good back there if we cant force opposing QB's to get rid of the ball in under 15 min.

There are a lot of people on here saying that we are fine at SS, and that it will not be an issue next season. I have to ask why?

Are we really that comfortable with a perenial 2nd stringer coming off a major knee injury being our starting safety?

Can someone please tell me why I should be optimistic about him, and why he is not a concern?

I don't think anyone is saying that Prioleau is going to start at SS.

But, between him, Fox, Stoutmire and Doughty, you should be able to find someone who can start. Hell, Fox did a decent job considering that he wasn't here during training camp.

What Prioleau brings is a better cover guy in the safety position than anyone other than Taylor. We really missed that last year.

Jason

Is anyone else concerned like me that his knee might not hold up and he will never be the same player?? I mean he knows the system and all but he is not getting any younger and just came off of major knee surgery. I am not convinced as of yet he is the answer for this season. I am just glad we have a few good back ups like fox and stoutmire.

Andre Lott didnt do much because he hasnt played here in 2 years.:rolleyes:

Im not sure about PP though. Do you really pay a guy to be the higest paid player at his position (AA) and then have him as a "situational" player? Also, no one is going to look good back there if we cant force opposing QB's to get rid of the ball in under 15 min.

That's the truth :notworthy if we can't get pressure on the QB no one will work back there. With that said I don't think PP is the answer Fox or Stoutmire will be better suited for now but we need safty help in the future.:applause:

The only reason are comfortable with it because they all have man crushes on the d-lineman in the draft. I think d-line is a major need, but I am in no way comfortable with a 30 year old (I believe that's his age, apologies if I'm wrong) coming off a knee injury who I repeatedly saw make mistakes when he played as Clark went down coming in to play at SS. I think that we should at least trade down to try and acquire a 3rd round or 2nd round (preferably) to fill a need at safety.

interesting question. It does worry me that he is coming off of a major knee injury. Luckily for us it happened on the first play of the season, so "hopefully" the rest of his body is well rested and the kneee will be even stronger this year. I think we can find a potential starter out of the 4 we have there now. But it will be interesting to see how it shakes out, especially if we go DL in the draft.

Archived