Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT - Steve Smith Out in Carolina?

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

SMITH THE ODD MAN OUT IN CAROLINA?

When making our weekly appearance with Chris McClain on WFNZ (the station that hosted the all-time classic "move on or move out" moment), we were discussing the possibility that the Panthers have refrained from adding many new free agents this year because they soon will have to address the long-term status of defensive end Julius Peppers and left/right tackle Jordan Gross. [Editor's note: A prior version of this item said that Gross is a left tackle. He has played both positions.]

Peppers and Gross are both entering the final seasons of their rookie contracts. Peppers has a cap number in 2007 of nearly $15 million. This means that, if the team decides to use the franchise tag on Peppers in 2008, his one-year salary will be nearly $18 million.

Gross is a solid tackle. And solid tackles rarely are available in free agency; when they are, they get paid a lot of money, as Leonard Davis learned last month.

To complicate matters, there were strong rumors last year that Steve Smith is quietly pissed off about his contract. He signed an extension in 2004, before his breakout season of 2005. With three years left at salaries of $3.15 million, $3.6 million, and $4.2 million, Smith obviously is underpaid in comparison to the money spent this year on guys like Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis.

So what will the Panthers do? Surely, they can't break the bank for all three of them. And the Panthers haven't won enough big games to persuade players to give the team a discount in order to continue a culture of championships.

Each guy is going to want to get paid, and the Panthers can't pay them all. The fact that Smith has yet to get an adjustment to his deal suggests to us that he's going to be the odd man out, with the Panthers more likely to invest the long-term dollars into the players who, based on the positions they occupy, will be more likely to continue to perform at a high level as they age.

The best strategy would be to get Peppers signed early in 2008 and to use the tag on Gross. Then, they should trade Smith before he goes ballistic once he sees how much money two members of the team not named Stevonne Smith will be making.

Bottom line -- this is the reality of having very good players at multiple positions at the same time. There are only so many guys on a team who can get paid really big money, and someone in the front office should be answering tough questions about the negotiation of Peppers' rookie contract, which has now put the team in a very sticky situation for 2007 and for 2008.

Jesus, it is not that hard to avoid the situation, extend smith and peppers asap with a high bonus to keep them happy before another FA period happens. Every year you wait to restructure someone it gets more expensive.

We need to add neither to that poll.

they are more than likely trying to wait til during the season when the player realizes that their career might go on forever. They see people getting injured and realize that they want security. That is why so many teams try to sign people during the season.

I would trade 2 first round picks for Peppers in a HEARTBEAT. He is the best defensive player in the league, and he plays the most the most important position on the defense.

Is he worth two #1's and $18mil per year? Not to me. I'm not that desperate for a DE yet.

Steve Smith is only 28 (next month), but is also another smurf at 5-9. He's one tough smurf I'll admit, but I don't trade for him unless we give up Lloyd in the deal.

For this trade to happen we'd need to clear an ego out (Lloyd) before we bring another ego in.

No way are they unloading Smith when he has 3 years left on his contract. The guy is the offense's MVP.

Springs is our MVP on defense, and I think it's see ya later for him. I mean Macklin is making Springs look like a total jerk. Even though our CB play won't be as good in a technical sense with no Springs, I am completely in LOVE with the fact that Smoot, Rogers, and Macklin all LOVE the Redskins. That in and of itself will bring a higher level of play than you can expect to see from players with no loyalty outside of their paycheck.

You know, when I first joined this forum, I was like "Pro Football Talk's sole goal can't be just to stir up the most ridiculous rumors ever, you guys are exaggerating." Turns out I had a lot to learn.

Your first step in becoming a veteran. PFT is just stirring the pot and hoping this might be true. If you read the article they are just guessing on what might happen or what might be going in that organization.

SMITH THE ODD MAN OUT IN CAROLINA?

So what will the Panthers do? Surely, they can't break the bank for all three of them. And the Panthers haven't won enough big games to persuade players to give the team a discount in order to continue a culture of championships.

I didn't know that the Panthers won a championship.

Santana and Smith are basically the same player. CJ is the perfect complement to either WR.

I agree, and to whoever said Springs is our defensive mvp....... :doh: Um no. He may be the injured reserve MVP, but he did nothing last season to consider him most valuable anything.

too bad a good chunk of what they post ends up being true, regardless of how much youd like to think it doesnt.

PFT posts a lot of stuff. Of course some of it will end up as being true. Probability and statistics state they will get a certain percentage correct.

too much speculation, none of it will happen. I'm kinda surprised Peppers wasn't extended yet, then again, he's making tons of money anyways. Gotta figure they would re-do his deal if he is costing 15 million against the cap.

Gross, Peppers, and Smith, all three remain in Carolina, unless one of the kills a person or gets arrested millions of times, and from what I've heard/seen of these guys, that's unlikely.

exactly, so when people say "OmG It WaS LIkE pOsTeD oN PfT iTs LiKe So0o WrOnG dUdE!!", its most likely true.

Just look at this article. They are simply making educated guesses. Nothing more or less. Tomorrow they will simply pick another team and make some more guesses. If you shoot enough rounds down range you are bound to hit the target on a few of them.

too bad a good chunk of what they post ends up being true, regardless of how much youd like to think it doesnt.

When you spit at a bucket 100 times, you're bound to hit eventually. I really think they just post whatever "Rumor" they can cook up a source to, just so they can say "We were right when we said" on the off chance that it actually happens. They might be right occasionally, but everything I've seen posted here they've been wrong about, and no one can judge them because it's just "rumors". I say if they can't be held accountable when they are wrong, they shouldn't be appluaded when they are right.

Archived