Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Okoye & Skins Schedule Private Workout (Merged)

D-Day

It seems like the Skins are trying to get Amobi Okoye, 19 from Louisville with their 1st round pick. This is per http://www.rotoworld.com

The Redskins will host a visit with Louisville DT Amobi Okoye this week.

Washington may be looking for defensive linemen at No. 6 overall. Okoye has added 15 pounds since the Senior Bowl and now weighs in at 302.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it could be a great pickup for our defense as long as we could trade down to around #8-#12 spot. I don't think Okoyue would last longer than that in the draft. If we traded down to one of those spots, we could grab Okoye to start at DT and get a 3rd and a 4th round picks. With the 3rd round pick we should get a young DE to give us depth and youth at the position and possibly challenge Philip Daniels to start, and with the 4th round pick get an Offensive Guard to possibly start replacing Dockery!

That's great...but not at #6. However, not too far after that though...like a swap with the 8th or 9th spot and an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. Adams is nasty though.

On draft day I would hope that we could pull off a 2nd rounder for a trade down like that.

It seems like the Skins are trying to get Amobi Okoye, 19 from Louisville with their 1st round pick. This is per http://www.rotoworld.com

The Redskins will host a visit with Louisville DT Amobi Okoye this week.

Washington may be looking for defensive linemen at No. 6 overall. Okoye has added 15 pounds since the Senior Bowl and now weighs in at 302.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it could be a great pickup for our defense as long as we could trade down to around #8-#12 spot. I don't think Okoyue would last longer than that in the draft. If we traded down to one of those spots, we could grab Okoye to start at DT and get a 3rd and a 4th round picks. With the 3rd round pick we should get a young DE to give us depth and youth at the position and possibly challenge Philip Daniels to start, and with the 4th round pick get an Offensive Guard to possibly start replacing Dockery!

"challenge" daniels???? i dont want that slow old man anywhere near the field. if we trade down and get okoye (although i still worry about him stuffing the run only at 302), we need to get a DE in the draft as well. and we need to unload springs for a 3rd or 4th. itd be great to get a 1st round, 2 3rd round picks, and our 5 6 and 7. that would be ideal.

I agree, if we take him at 6 we take him at 6. This guy is a winner. He works hard. For a kid to come from Nigeria and at 12 start high school and go to college at 15 and play for a good school is pretty impressive. I'd take him either way, but trading down and getting more picks would be great.

Well, hm, 8-12 range, huh, Argentina Skins? The interesting teams in that range include Houston and Buffalo, who pick 8th and 12th respectively.

Both teams could conceivably get into a bidding war for a top prospect that slips out of the Top 5. Both teams need impact players, especially Buffalo, who I believe is even letting the stadium depart via free agency...

If we take him at 6 we take him at 6. If we think he's a better prospect at Branch then that is fine with me. A trade down is ideal, but if we dont trade down we should ultimately get the best player at 6, whoever that is.

I'm pretty much in agreement though I thought perhaps Anderson would have been the primary target. Hard to tell certainly. Okoye sounds like he can bring all the tangilbles that Branch is purported as being able to deliver, even with the size difference, but with more upside it seems.

Did the same thing with Jasn Campbell, if I remember. Just saying:whoknows:

Teams often have workouts like this with several players if they are seriously thinking about taking them. We had a private work out with Donte Hall one year. We didn't draft him though. Just an example.

We'll definitely be taking a defensive lineman in the first round, if we trade down Okoye is probably going to be the guy.

"challenge" daniels???? i dont want that slow old man anywhere near the field. if we trade down and get okoye (although i still worry about him stuffing the run only at 302), we need to get a DE in the draft as well. and we need to unload springs for a 3rd or 4th. itd be great to get a 1st round, 2 3rd round picks, and our 5 6 and 7. that would be ideal.

And who is it that you suggest takes the place of Springs after we trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder? And "only" 302 lbs is very funny as well.

On draft day I would hope that we could pull off a 2nd rounder for a trade down like that.

Most likely a 3rd (according to the draft value chart). Someone may may pay more if a guy that they really want isa there at #6.

Even with a high 3rd, we could probably get the top 3 or 4 guard that possibly could move right into the starting lineup on opening day.

Well, hm, 8-12 range, huh, Argentina Skins? The interesting teams in that range include Houston and Buffalo, who pick 8th and 12th respectively.

Both teams could conceivably get into a bidding war for a top prospect that slips out of the Top 5. Both teams need impact players, especially Buffalo, who I believe is even letting the stadium depart via free agency...

If Peterson drops I think we need to require a 2nd rounder from either team. Points wise it may not add up, but if Houston wants him, they need to have the same offer on the table. If we could get that then maybe we could try to get 1,2,3 from Buffalo.

Skins pick 1600

Houston offer 1910

Buffalo offer 1890

If they have the need bad enough, it would be great if Houston would offer that. At 8 Anderson or Adams might still be available and Tank Tyler could be had in round 2. Quick DE, Massive DT. Would help out with the run D and sacks problems.

edit: While I realize the Skins are winning the points by a lot it does make sense. Both teams need/want a starting RB. Buffalo's 1st and 2nd would be 1670 points (pretty even if they get what they want). To be about even Houston would need to offer the same, and we could take that or try and get an extra pick out of Buffalo. In the Buffalo case we could do DE/DT/OG or DT/DE/OG. At 12 I think Adams/Anderson are gone, hopefully we could do something like Okoye, Quentin Moses and Josh Beekman.

And who is it that you suggest takes the place of Springs after we trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder? And "only" 302 lbs is very funny as well.

i feel confident that rogers and smoot can be our starting corners, with a good pass rush theyll both be fine. springs will most likely be released or traded because his cap hit come june 1st is supposedly gigantic (i dont know much about cap hits/bonuses/salaries/all that jazz) and hes old and brittle.

and 302 is not big for a DT. 330 is big for a DT, and thats the kinda mammoth run stuffer were missing. golston is 292 and griff was barely 300 and they both got bulldozed last season. we need a huge dude up front. thats not to say that okoye cant add some more weight, but we need big boys up front, and right now were missing that. montgomrey (if he was ready) could fill that starting big DT role with his size.

Does anyone know how 2 gap tackles like Branch, compared to one gap tackles like Okoye have traditionally been valued by Gregg Williams in the past? I know we haven't really had a 2 gapper since he's been here but if he prefers 1 gap tackles as a matter of philosophy, it could explain their interest in Okoye over Branch. But yes, if we are targeting him hopefully we could move down a few spots. But every year certain guys go much earlier than expected.

Archived