Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Okoye & Skins Schedule Private Workout (Merged)

D-Day

I have all the confidence in the world regarding Carlos despite popular opinion on this board. But I think he's better with Springs on the other side, and I'd prefer Smoot to be the nickle rather than Jimoh. Getting rid of Springs creates an unnecessary hole.

As for Okoye, 302 is not huge for a DT, but it's not necessarily small either. Also I expect he'll grow a bit more in terms of weight from muscle mass as his body finishes maturing. He may have only put up 29 reps or so in the combine, but it was 29 reps as a 19 year old. By 21-22 he should be a decent amount stronger and heavier.

I agree,

If were not gonna trade Springs, then we shouldnt cut him. If were gonna take a salary cap hit regardless if we trade him or not, we have to keep him. As long as we have someone who can come in and play if he's hurt, which we now have at with Smoot. And plus, the offseason is long. There are a lot of players that are still going to get cut, or leave teams. We can always pick up another CB.

But with Okoye, the dude is fast, and he said he's going to gain weight just to show everyone he can do it, without losing his speed. The dude is hungry, and once he gets into camp with us, we gonna bulk him up. Also, I want someone big who can plug up that line, but I also want someone who can get to the QB relatively quick once he breaks through the offensive line. Okoye looks like he can do that. He reminds of me a young Warren Sapp.

I would take this guy in the second round. Do we really need him though? Apparently he is worth a look at. I am convinced Gibbs will be impressed with him.

2nd round? He's the 2nd most sought after DT in this draft and will be gone in the first half of the first round. Most likely a top ten choice.

And yes, we need defensive line help more than anything else.

It seems like the Skins are trying to get Amobi Okoye, 19 from Louisville with their 1st round pick. This is per http://www.rotoworld.com

The Redskins will host a visit with Louisville DT Amobi Okoye this week.

Washington may be looking for defensive linemen at No. 6 overall. Okoye has added 15 pounds since the Senior Bowl and now weighs in at 302.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it could be a great pickup for our defense as long as we could trade down to around #8-#12 spot. I don't think Okoyue would last longer than that in the draft. If we traded down to one of those spots, we could grab Okoye to start at DT and get a 3rd and a 4th round picks. With the 3rd round pick we should get a young DE to give us depth and youth at the position and possibly challenge Philip Daniels to start, and with the 4th round pick get an Offensive Guard to possibly start replacing Dockery!

Minn. might grabe him after uc unless Quinn falls to them, they could pair him w/ Kevin Williams. Udeze,Okye,Willians and E.James woul be SICK

I think Okoye has "bust" written all over him. He was a good, but not dominant DT in college. People are amazed that he's as good as he is at 19 years old. They should compare him to the rest of the 2007 draft prospects, though, and not to other 19-year-olds. For the first couple years of his NFL career, he'll contribute in spot duty. Whether he advances from that role depends on how hard he's willing to continue working.

I think Okoye has "bust" written all over him. He was a good, but not dominant DT in college. People are amazed that he's as good as he is at 19 years old. They should compare him to the rest of the 2007 draft prospects, though, and not to other 19-year-olds. For the first couple years of his NFL career, he'll contribute in spot duty. Whether he advances from that role depends on how hard he's willing to continue working.

Id say hes worked pretty damned hard to get where he is so far from what ive read here about this guy. Admittedly we need character guys as well as skillful and hardworking guys but how many times can you accurately gauge these kinds of things from 15 minutes at the combine. Hence why they brought him in for a private workout. At least that way coaches get to inspect him on a more intimate level and find out about the inner workings and what makes him tick.

If he has the work ethic then I see no reason why we shouldnt take him, but even with my limited knowledge I think #6 is a touch too high.

theres already been reports that we didnt like alan branch, and he fell waaaaaaaay down on kipers chart (not like that means a lot, but maybe theres more to it than we know).

Kiper does this every year. He'll have his top 25 set pretty certain. But once the combine comes around he talks to scouts and GMs and starts to adjust his top 25 based on the general consensus of himself and other personnel folks.

15 tackles for loss and 8 sacks, thats pretty damn impressive for a DT. I think Okoye gives us the best all around dlineman vs. the run and pass especially if we trade down. At #6 I think Anderson is the only player worthy of being picked at that spot.

Archived