Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Springs trading rumors from WP, what do you think ?

FrFan

Healthy, Springs is better than Bly

but that's the question

and I would only consider a trade if Washngton got fair or greater value

plus don't trade Betts or Portis

bubba...I have no clue whether Springs or Bly is better though I think you're right...what criteria are you basing this on?

Um do we really want to go into the season with Fred Smoot and Carlos Rogers as our starting CB tandem? Look I loved Smoot when he was here but he got toasted in MN and we all know how bad Rogers was last year. Honestly that might be the worst CB tandem in the league if we let go of Springs.

the idea of him rebating money to the club does not resolve the issue. it may put more dollars into Snyder's pocket but doesn't appear as if it will help us much with his cap hit in 2007 if released before June 1, and THAT is the primary issue right now.

the Redskins simply can't afford to carry any more dead cap money in 2007 and hope to sign some depth players over the balance of the summer and get the top pick signed.

Springs got $10 million in 2004, when $10 million was near top of the market for free agents. Win or lose, he gets to keep that money.

I am not too upset that he may not make top dollar on a new contract as a 33 year old free agent next season.

them's the breaks as they say :)

I like Springs and i really appreciate everything that he has done and all the hard work that he has contributed to this team.

Saying that, there is a time and place where neither party are beneficial to one another and we are closing in on that time.

I would not mind a trade for Springs right now if we were to get a good deal from it. I don't want Bly, as I believe that we can live with Smoot and Rogers at CB. What we need is a high 2nd round draft pick this year to acquire a DE to supplement our 1st round DT choice.

"Springs has told friends about his long-held desire to play for Denver Coach Mike Shanahan -- they became close many years ago after flying to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl together -- and Shanahan remains a strong proponent of Springs's play, according to a source."

Mile-high club?

disco...nice post. how do you break out bonus from base salary?

I assumed a SB of 5 mil

Here are a few more details

Year-Salary-New SB Allocation-Old SB Allocation-Cap hit

2007-2.50-1.33-2.50-6.25

2008-2.95-1.33-2.50-6.70

2009-4.25-1.33-2.50-8.00

2010-4.50-1.33-0.00-5.75

The Redskins don't seem to like to pay bonus money all at the front, even though it's guaranteed...but I assumed all bonus was upfront...

The payout per year would be:

2007: 7.50

2008: 2.95

2009: 4.25

2010: 4.50

This article is first related to Smoot but is raising a lot of questions about Shawn Springs future. I'd like to see him stay with us, so we will have a great secondary (hope he'll stay healthy).

"Smoot was happy to return yesterday, but an increasing friction exists on both sides between the Redskins and Springs. According to sources, Springs, 31, believes the combination of his age, his future salary cap numbers and the club's reservations about his durability make it unlikely they would try to retain him beyond 2007, and he wants a resolution. Springs said he would play for the full worth of his contract this season, but not for a restructured deal that would result in him making less. He is open to a trade and is mulling over a tactic used by former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington last year, when he forfeited deferred payments to opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent....."

When springs plays our defense is good. When he doesn't play the defense sucks. Springs is still young, and will be healthy next season. I don't see any motivation for him to accept a smaller salary. Why should he?

When springs plays our defense is good. When he doesn't play the defense sucks. Springs is still young, and will be healthy next season. I don't see any motivation for him to accept a smaller salary. Why should he?

yeah good call, our defense looked great when springs played. haha

and hes 32 and just broke his shoulder. that sounds young and healthy to me. 6 years 30 mil anyone??

He needs to restructure... Needs to realize he is injury prone and not many teams will give him what he wants

Ummm, Springs has a contract. Bly is the one who wants a new contract. Springs is just trying to keep what he already signed.

What a jerk. This guy didn't play hardly a full game and he won't restructure because he doesn't want to take a pay cut. Not a team player. Hopefully we can trade him but it looks like that won't happen until after June 1.

The guy signed a contract. Just as Springs is responsible for his end and playing out his contract, which he has agreed to do, Snyder and Co. are responsible for holding their end and paying his contract.

Springs has not refused to restructure, he has refused to take a pay cut. Would you agree to a pay cut because you missed workt last year due to an on the job injury? Probably not. Pro football is a short career, this guy has maybe 2-3 more years and he needs to make his money while he can. This is a business guys.

yeah good call, our defense looked great when springs played. haha

and hes 32 and just broke his shoulder. that sounds young and healthy to me. 6 years 30 mil anyone??

Ummm, Christmas, Springs was hurt all last year.

Shoulders heal. It's not like he's got a chronic leg injury. Fact is when Healthy Springs is our #1 corner who who had two good seasons for us in 2004 and 2005.

There is no reason a legitamate #1 corner should take less money when the team is much worse without him on the field.

Champ is looking pretty good right now isn't he.

First I hear his boyhood dream to to play with the Boys...

Now I hear he wouldnt mind playing for the Broncos...

But when I check he signed here for alot of money DURING THAT TIME..

If he doesnt want to restucture or take a cut but will play here for the original salary then fine...but dont be an ass in the locker room and dont be ****ing to the media and dont be on Comcast sports night acting like you want to be here, money talks and bull**** walks.

I know Gibbs is the stand up guy and if a player doesnt want to be here then he will try to get the guy out of here, but he needs to make an expection with Springs. they gave him alot of money to be on the field and not in front of a mike. Let him play here and dont answer the phone from another team unless WE benefit from it.

I don't know much about the influence of the owner, the FO and the head coach about the roster, but I thought the head coach was the one to decide who's going to play or not.

espn reported this morning we already offered springs to denver for bly and they said no.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788121

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3566667#post3566667

That means this organization doesn't care about coach Gibbs opinion :doh:

"I'm counting on Shawn being here next season."

I guess Shawn is on the trading block.

Ummm, Christmas, Springs was hurt all last year.

Shoulders heal. It's not like he's got a chronic leg injury. Fact is when Healthy Springs is our #1 corner who who had two good seasons for us in 2004 and 2005.

There is no reason a legitamate #1 corner should take less money when the team is much worse without him on the field.

Champ is looking pretty good right now isn't he.

i know he was hurt all last year, and hes old, and i dont want old hurt guys who ended the year with a broken shoulder.

No matter what Springs decides to do the pass rush is still garbage. You could have Burnt and Toast back there as our CB's if we could even catch a freakin WHIFF of a QB.

I'm telling you, if we don't address the pass rush situation it won't matter if it's Smoot, Rogers, Springs, or Rumph, Wright, and Archeletta.

Screw him, let him walk. If he's not willing to do injured what just about every other veteran on our team is willing to do when healthy (restructure), then just get rid of him and move on. Yes, he's a good player.* I hate talking about players when you have to use asterisks to explain the obvious fallacies in your statement. Unless he's healthy, he's not playing, and if he's not playing, he's not helping out the defense. We shouldn't waste all this money on someone who "might" be able to help out on D, when we could use it to sign a lineman or another corner.

Maybe he'll be dumb enough to pull a Lavar and buy out his contract. If Kenny Wright was able to get a 3-year deal, he's gotta be able to get something out there, right?

* When healthy

A couple of things from the ESPN article to keep in mind:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788121

"Bly, 29, is considered one of the game's best big-play cornerbacks. In eight seasons he has intercepted 31 passes, forced 17 fumbles, and scored eight touchdowns (five interception returns, two fumble returns, one punt return). Last season, Bly tied for the Lions' team lead with three interceptions and led Detroit with 18 passes defended and four forced fumbles."

Wasn't turnovers one of the things needed the most on the defensive side of the ball? Aren't half of the ESers posting laments about Rogers' inability to intercept the ball? Weren't folks thankful that, when the Redskins went after free agents the last 2 years, they were trending towards paying younger players (Fletcher being the notable exception)?

Bly doesn't seem to be the corner that Springs was, but neither is Springs. Bly's 3 years younger, has 4 more INTs and 5 more def. TDs than Springs (in 3 yrs. less time than Springs).

Bly is the one doing the squawking, not Springs, so as the contentiousness between him & Denver lingers, that will increase their desire to do any kind of trade, & that will benefit us.

The June 1st deadline will make it possible to trade Springs within our salary cap limits, and I suspect that it will indeed happen--if Denver will take Springs straight-up at that time. No other players or picks...PLEASE

Archived