Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Examiner : "Skins should avoid more sticker shock"

FrFan

Skins should avoid more sticker shock

by Rick Snider

Mar 1, 2007 3:00 AM (11 hrs ago)

Current rank: # 17 of 18,488 articles

WASHINGTON - It’s Super Bowl weekend in Washington. The greatest few days of the year for Redskins fans. Some teams have the postseason, Redskins fans have the offseason.

Free agency begins 12:01 a.m. tonight. Redskin One is supposedly in Buffalo ready to bring middle linebacker London Fletcher-Baker and cornerback Nate Clements. Not that anyone tampered by talking beforehand. The players just needed a ride and the plane was heading this way.

It’s all so predictable. So much that agents milk owner Dan Snyder for extra money, knowing he overspends for big names. It’s a Pacman Jones rain shower of money with often the same results — bad.

Sign Fletcher to help in the middle, but leave Clements on the plane. Instead, the Redskins should grab cornerback Fred Smoot if Minnesota releases him as expected.

The Love Boat captain back in Washington? He wouldn’t be the first person in Washington to rebound from a sex scandal. Smoot gives the Redskins a chance to turn someone else’s trash into their treasure. While Clements wants an $18 million bonus, Smoot might sign for Dandy cruise gift certificates.

Smoot found redemption in Washington once before when slipping to the second round of the 2001 draft amid rumors of drug use, only to post four trouble-free years as a solid corner. He played one season under coach Joe Gibbs so both sides know the other.

Snyder should have learned by now that money doesn’t solve anything. From Deion Sanders to Jeff George to Adam Archuleta, Snyder has been bilked for more money than a Nigerian e-mail scam. Smoot will be a Filene’s Basement bargain after a turbulent year with the Vikings.

Shawn Springs isn’t the future and Carlos Rogers hasn’t proven he’s a lockdown corner. Smoot might not either, but he’s better than Rogers.

The key is signing Smoot to a short-term deal that makes him earn the money. Snyder’s best free agent signing was troubled defensive tackle Daryl Gardener in 2002. Gardener earned Redskin of the Year in his one season. Snyder was then doubly smart not to resign Gardener, who took Denver’s gold before ending his career in a parking lot fight. Keeping Gardener hungry made the difference in Washington.

Free agency signings are about timing, savviness and some luck. The Redskins must learn to find undervalued players who become playmakers, not high-priced businessmen.

Good read. I think he's right we need to watch our spending. Clements is asking for a lot of money. ST will be asking for a big price soon too, once his crap contract is up. That will be a lot of money tied into DB's, (including AA). We should build up our CB's through drafting. It is not our major concern. Though it looked to be last year, behind the smoke cloud, there was no pressure leaving the QB's plenty of time to pick apart our DB's.

yeah, but I think he needs to layoff the comments about the fans. I'm not syaing it's not somewhat true, but don't categorzing millions of fans as lame duck, uknowledgeable Danny Snyder droids.

We know where we ef'ed up ... I just can;t belibe these writers get paid to writwe the same crap everyone has been saying for years, regardless of whether it's true or not ... get some new material, b/c your $%^& stinks!

Nothing new here...and its already well known throughout coaches, players, the media, fans, and team owners...that our Front Office makes mistake, after mistake, after mistake. Dan...Joe...it doesn't matter who you are...you have nothing to show me...to make me think otherwise. Well...maybe 3 or 4:

Portis, Santana, and Randy Thomas...are the best FA's we have ever brought in.

Hell...if I were a coach / team owner / GM for another organization...and involved in negotiations with the Washington Redskins that clearly did not make sense & in my favor...I would probably move forward with the deal...considering the WELL KNOWN AND DOCUMENTED HISTORY of the Redskins making mistake after mistake...when it comes to FA.

Deion...B. Smith...M. Carrier...AA...B Lloyd...M. Barrow...J. Trotter...L. Coles...J. George...T. Candidate...

good read. i loved listening to SMOOOOT Smack on the junkies. he brings attitude and flavor to a defense that needs it. sure he gets burned at times but he still gets the team fired up. he did play very well in GW scheme and i for one would like to see him back in washington for a decent price

you can actually argue effectively that we overpaid for Portis as well. #1 corner in the game and a 2nd round pick... way too much for ant RB coming out of the Denver system.

the article is right on... and sadly true.

I think bottom line is that all signs point to us landing Fletcher first, and Clements is a serious stretch given the money he wants. I just don't see it happening--Smoot is a potentially real deal now that Bly is off the market. And when it comes down to it, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to support in the nickel packages, assuming somehow we can get Springs to restructure his contract (if healthy, and admittedly that's a big IF, I think he still has a couple years left in the tank)...

man, Dung sucked

:laugh: Daryl Gardener. I was annoyed we didn't keep him, but it was definitely for the better in that case. Man he was soo awesome that year. Too bad he was too much of a headcase to last.

Snyder should have learned by now that money doesn’t solve anything. From Deion Sanders to Jeff George to Adam Archuleta, Snyder has been bilked for more money than a Nigerian e-mail scam.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing new here...and its already well known throughout coaches, players, the media, fans, and team owners...that our Front Office makes mistake, after mistake, after mistake. Dan...Joe...it doesn't matter who you are...you have nothing to show me...to make me think otherwise. Well...maybe 3 or 4:

Hell...if I were a coach / team owner / GM for another organization...and involved in negotiations with the Washington Redskins that clearly did not make sense & in my favor...I would probably move forward with the deal...considering the WELL KNOWN AND DOCUMENTED HISTORY of the Redskins making mistake after mistake...when it comes to FA.

Deion...B. Smith...M. Carrier...AA...B Lloyd...M. Barrow...J. Trotter...L. Coles...J. George...T. Candidate...

Portis, Santana and Thomas were all brought here by trade... not FA.

Springs ,M.Washington, Griffen were good F.A as well :doh:

:mad:

Sorry Double clicked:D

And only Thomas on your list was a free agent ...... Just lettin ya know bud

Archived