Begin Crying - DL Continue to fly off the Market

D-Day

Which One To Have?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Which One To Have?

• Sign MLB London Fletcher-Baker
    • Sign CB Nate Clements
    • Sign neither

So much for the Bills being our Jets this year.

DL is flying off the FA market, makes the draft more important in my opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/10024029

Buffalo re-signs DE Kelsay

NFL.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (Feb. 26, 2007) -- Defensive end Chris Kelsay signed a four-year contract with the Buffalo Bills, avoiding the uncertainty of becoming an unrestricted free agent.

A second-round draft pick in 2003 out of Nebraska, Kelsay emerged as one of the Bills' top defensive linemen last season. Starting all 16 games for the second successive season, he had career highs in tackles (88) and sacks (5½), finishing third on the team in sacks and sixth in tackles.

And not as important but

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/10023971

Packers DL Jenkins signs four-year extension

[/url]

NFL.com wire reports

MILWAUKEE (Feb. 26, 2007) -- Defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins has signed a four-year contract extension with the Green Bay Packers, his agent said.

The deal, which Fabrikant said was agreed to in principle Feb. 24, was reported on the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Web site.

"We are pleased to have reached a long-term agreement with defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins prior to the start of free agency," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement.

Fabrikant said Jenkins, who was slated to become a restricted free agent later this week, wanted to stay in Green Bay because of the city's family atmosphere.

This was an expected move. Not a big deal IMO.

Every signing made prior to FA is a big deal. Not so much for the actual player being off the market, but for the money and attention other teams were going to earmark for that player. That can spiral down to the players we have targeted.

For instance maybe another team was looking at Kelsey as a option, maybe 1st option. He is signed so the 5 mil in cap space they where going to earmark and hold for him while he was deciding his fate is now free again.

Maybe their number two FA target is FLB, so you see where I am going with this.

I am looking forward to next year when we have all our draft picks. Now since Gibbs has decided he wants to keep our draft picks we will be able to get good guys in the draft next year. We could end up with 3 guys that can start right away. So I am fine not going all out in FA this year, but I do want to get Fletcher. We get Fletcher and plug him in there, and then in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round we get a MLB that can replace him. I am looking forward to this season and how it turns out, as well as what happens next year with building this team.

Most DL that are worth a damn come off the market, because good DL are hard to find. Remember all the people last year who wanted to sign Aaron Kampman last year? He never hit the open market.

The only guys who will be available are guys who haven't proven themselves, or the few who do make it to FA, and they will want big money. There aren't any solutions in FA which is better than what we have right now.

Jason

Our DL is coming through the draft anyway.

How? We have one pick on day one. We either get a DE or a DT. We still have a hole to fill. Please don't say that we will trade down. We need a playmaker not a couple of average players. We seldom get really good players that are taken after the first 10 picks in the draft. Who repre3sented the Skins in the Pro Bowl? Where were they taken in the draft? We don't develop players. We would need a trading partner--the Cards are in a better trading position than the Skins. Williams doesn't like to play rookies. We need a De or DT in free agency to go along with the draft.

If we only add Clements and Fletcher--then wait for the draft--how is our run defense or pass rush improved? We can solve one problem with the draft but not both problems. With the way our Front Office operates--fixing the defense is starting to look like a 2 year plan.

How? We have one pick on day one. We either get a DE or a DT. We still have a hole to fill. Please don't say that we will trade down. We need a playmaker not a couple of average players. We seldom get really good players that are taken after the first 10 picks in the draft. Who repre3sented the Skins in the Pro Bowl? Where were they taken in the draft? We don't develop players. We would need a trading partner--the Cards are in a better trading position than the Skins. Williams doesn't like to play rookies. We need a De or DT in free agency to go along with the draft.

If we only add Clements and Fletcher--then wait for the draft--how is our run defense or pass rush improved? We can solve one problem with the draft but not both problems. With the way our Front Office operates--fixing the defense is starting to look like a 2 year plan.

I say we sign Kerney to a short-term contract and pray to god that Alan Branch is available at #6. Otherwise, we could snatch up Amobi Okoye.

I would be fine with this. Okoye is starting to move up draft boards.

I noticed that about Okoye. I would actually prefer either of those situations (Kerney + either Branch or Okoye) over getting Clements or Baker + a DE in the draft.

I think if we do get Branch/Okoye, we're safer saving our money and picking up Smoot for depth.

Again, we can't fix all our holes this season everybody. Sorry to tell you this but their isn't enough help in free agency, or enough draft picks to fix everything that's wrong with this team.

We need to stay the course,address the D-line with our first round pick, come back next year and finish the job of fixing our holes. Stop looking for the quick fix becuase their isnt' one this year. This is a two year mission.

Saw that. FA is not going to help us this year. Im looking at next year to get some help, I dont think our D will be good enough to get us to the playoffs this year no matter how the Offence does. I think it's going to be a long season.

Yeah I agree with that assesment, we are at least 2 years away from a serious playoff run. That's the main reason I've been advocating drafting Calvin Johnson should he fall to us, but It aint going to happen and the cost to trade up to draft is just too much for our meager pick list.

I agree I think we should be careful about trade down scenarios. We need a future star from our first round pick, someone we can hang the defense's hat on for many years to come.

Again, we can't fix all our holes this season everybody. Sorry to tell you this but their isn't enough help in free agency, or enough draft picks to fix everything that's wrong with this team.

We need to stay the course,address the D-line with our first round pick, come back next year and finish the job of fixing our holes. Stop looking for the quick fix becuase their isnt' one this year. This is a two year mission.

Agreed that we should stay the course, but after 15 years of crappy football and right on the heels of a 5-11 season, I don't think the fanbase will be that patient with this team.

Agreed that we should stay the course, but after 15 years of crappy football and right on the heels of a 5-11 season, I don't think the fanbase will be that patient with this team.

Maybe, but I am. I'd stand pat at #6 and pick the player I think is going to help the defence the most of the availiable players, or trade down if we got a good deal only. Then ride the season out, and not expect a huge improvement. I do expect AA to play, and be better than last year and be a "average" NFL saftey if he is used correctly. Then next year I'd look to still have a top 10-15 draft pick (I do see us with a winning record next year) and then go O-line and Defense in the draft. I think we would be competitive in 08' for the division if we do that. Oh, and draft some late round big bodied WR somewhere in there.

Archived