Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell contract Looming - Frost Tendered

D-Day

As expected with MB, good news with Frost.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 5:37 PM ET, 02/26/2007

Brunell, Frosty The Punter and Redskins Insider T-Shirts

I'll take care of the Redskins business first. Spoke with Mark Brunell today and got the impression a new, cap-friendly contract with the Skins will be done in a few days. He seems pumped to have a chance to come back.

Also, the Skins told Frosty today that he will be tendered - the low tender ($850,000) - which secures his rights and essentially means he'll be back next season to try to build off his strong finish in 2006.

As long as this pay-cut is an actual pay-cut, and doesn't involve the amount "returned" in guaranteed money down the line, then I am OK with it. He better be forfeiting a lot of $$$ or I'd rather see him cut outright.

Agreed. I am just not sure that keeping MB is a value add proposition.

Agreed. I am just not sure that keeping MB is a value add proposition.

His value to the franchise can be alot more if he takes a paycut, even if it is double the going salary of a backup qb,

If he takes a pay cut to 2. mil (backups usually make around a mil)

he will save us 3.2 mil off of the cap this year

To outright cut him we save 2.086 mil and we have to sign someone to replace him.

The best thing he could do is take a straight paycut to 1 - 3 mil

Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see a mil salary with a 3 mil bonus,

That would save us around 3.5 mil

His value to the franchise can be alot more if he takes a paycut, even if it is double the going salary of a backup qb,

If he takes a pay cut to 2. mil (backups usually make around a mil)

he will save us 3.2 mil off of the cap this year

To outright cut him we save 2.086 mil and we have to sign someone to replace him.

Good point and thanks for the numbers. The question is, will he take the paycut?

I think brunell should take a big pay cut if he wants to stay here. He is a capable backup, but he is getting older(isn't he about 40 HA HA). Plus we still have Collins as a backup. Frost getting a contract tendered is a good thing he is a good young talent. He could be a redskin for a long time.

As much as everyone seems to like Brunell as a backup, IMO I'd just as soon 'see the last chapter written'. Just close that part of the book and be done with it.

I know part of it is simply that there is always that low-grade fear that Campbell will get some minor injury and out will trot Brunell and then he ends up starting 'to let Jason heal' or somesuch.

Just cut the guy and let him try and sign somewhere else. I have the distinct feeling he would end up very disappointed on the open market.

There's no way MB is taking a pay cut. Why give back money when it could be his last chance to make NFL money. It's probably just restructuring the contract to save cap room.

oiu :doh:

You don't make it a option for him, he will not get a starting gig somewhere else and he will at most get a backup contract, in which he will have to uproot his family and move. It should be a take a cut or leave situation.

JG will not insult MB so that is why it is generally believed by people in better positions to the FO then me that he will get around a 2.5 mil salary this year, which is two and half times the going rate of a backup qb.

Archived