Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dwight Howard loses petition to raise rim for Dunk Contest to 12 feet.

EersSkins05

You have to be an espn insider to read this article, but the news is that Dwight Howard petitioned the NBA to allow him to raise the rim to 12 and 11.5 feet for a couple of dunks he has planned for the Dunk Contest.

The NBA denied him, saying something about it setting a precedent, which would be so awful after letting a guy that missed 13 dunks last year win the fraking contest anyway.

I think they totally should have let him do it. Let the big man impress!

That's a stupid idea. The rim should never be any higher or lower than 10 feet. Period.

The dunk contest blows now. They definitely should have spiced it up with something like that.

They made a mistake.

You know why it blows? It's simple. If JUDGES like Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant were actually IN the contest it would be worth watching. That's another reason why I can only tolerate so much of the NBA. There are way too many prima-donnas. Back in the day the greats usually competed and considered it an honor. These dirtbags have no clue how to act.

Yea having Dwight Howard in the contest will get me to watch it but they definitly should have gone through with this if he planned on doing some amazing dunks, whats to lose? the dunk contest is not what it use to be and this could have gotten them some attention..

Again, if guys like Kobe and Vince were actually in the contest instead of judging it we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That would be great :applause:

The problem with today's dunk contest is the lack of star power. The guys who now participate are players who have athletic ability but at this point in their careers, are not household names in terms of their basketball ability.

There has to be some way to get the likes of LeBron, Kobe, Vince, etc. to participate in the contest simultaneously. Increase the stakes a little by adding a bigger monetary award, perhaps. :2cents:

I think increasing the monetary amount isn't the answer. These prima-donnas should be doing it because they owe it to the fans to be out there. The blame lies soley on the players.

Well it's a dunking contest for style, not really for height ...although you might be on to something...

They could have a high-dunking contest where they keep raising the rim - it would actually be pretty cool to see who could really dunk the highest. They could also do a long-dunking contest to see how far people could jump before dunking ... the free-throw line has been done, but I wonder if anyone could make it from the three-point line...

They're clearly not getting as much out of this whole dunk contest thing as they could be.

It's tomorrow night.

Did this guy just say he wonders if anyone could dunk from the three-point line? :rolleyes: Oh, brother! I think someone has been playing too many video games or watching Street Ball.

I've been seriously thinking about starting an adult 8 foot league, where us that are vertically challenged could dunk and all that ****. I think it's a good idea.

Dumb idea. Only because adults like me who can drain outside jumpers on your "no-defense playing" ass are used to a 10-foot rim. :D

I would deffinately be inticed to check it out.

I think it could work. I'm sure that most people are like me and wish they could dunk. It wouldn't exactly be the real thing but I would love to be able to dunk on someone somehow.

Dumb idea. Only because adults like me who can drain outside jumpers on your "no-defense playing" ass are used to a 10-foot rim. :D

Then tends to be the cause when you get up around 30 years of age. :D That's not the point though. Wouldn't you like it if you can not only hit the J but also throw it down in someones face?

This was determined LONG ago. To bring the topic of the thread back, raising the rim was a decent idea.

I agree. If you're gonna let them jump over Spudd Webb why not let them raise the rim as well?

Why can't they just keep raising the backboard and rim? After every round, raise it to the next level? They do that in high jump competitions. Why not dunking contests?

Quit stealing Bill Simmons' ideas.... j/k

But he seriously has been advocating the "High Dunk" for years now. Round 1 - 10 ft, round 2 - 10.5 ft, round 3 - 11 ft, etc. until only one player can successfully dunk. Maybe they should make that a separate competition from the dunk contest, so you could still see some of the acrobatic dunks. Because once the rim is up to a certain height, nobody is going to be able to do 360's, between the legs, and whatnot. I think it would be awesome to see how high some of these guys could jump

You know why it blows? It's simple. If JUDGES like Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant were actually IN the contest it would be worth watching. That's another reason why I can only tolerate so much of the NBA. There are way too many prima-donnas. Back in the day the greats usually competed and considered it an honor. These dirtbags have no clue how to act.

Uhh, Kobe and Vince have both already won a dunk contest. Tell LeTravel's panzy ass to participate.

Sticker dunk was AWESOME. One of the best dunks of the night, he got ROBBED!!

He isnt dominating the NBA quite yet, he did outplay duncan last week. His offensive game needs to improve. You gotta love his game, hisdefense is ahead of his offense at this point. In a couple years he'll be one of the top players in the league, and probably the top center.

Archived