Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dre Bly Gets Permission to Seek Trade

2Legit2Quit

I live in Port Huron about a hour away from Detroit.I was going to post this thread,but was to busy snowmobiling.:D What i am trying to get at here is i have already heard.If a team doesn't trade for him he's going to be cut.So i say lets hope there is not a team out there that wants to trade for him.Then when and if he gets cut lets go after him.He would be cheaper than Clements or Samuals.

I like Bly as a player and if the Skins had some trade ammo, I wouldn't mind them taking a look but they don't and I am loathe to see the team start dealing 08 picks. I would rather they stand pat this year, accept the fact they have little to nothing in the draft after that high 1st and deal with it.

The other problem we as fans face when assessing players at this point is we don't know quite what Gregg Williams has in store for the defense. He was quoted last year as stating he felt the cover 2 was being found out by defenses (interesting that two cover 2 type D's contested the Super Bowl though!) and I took that as him looking to get away from that in his defense. If that means oor corners playing more man-to-man then Bly looks a good fit. If he means playing a different type of zone, Bly isn't a good fit.

My guess is that a team like the Pats could be interested in Bly, they like to man their corners up and they could possibly lose Samuel to free agency.

Although some of the comments are pretty funny, back to the original question just for a second. The only thing I'd say we should give up is money. We don't always have to have the best guy out there for the highest number of dollars and we don't always have to trade away draft picks. We are seeking a good corner for depth because of the injuries to Shawn Springs this year. If the rumblings are true about Bly being cut, you wait for the cut. Tell his agent to come talk to us then. He'll come a lot cheaper after his own team leaves him high and dry.

I realize there's a great temptation to go for Samuel or Clements. They are definitely top of the line, but they also come with top of the line price tags. The FO should lower their sights just a little and find the #5 or #6 best CB on the market (I don't have a clue who that is but hopefully someone in the FO does.) with correspondingly less dollars and hopefully, correspondingly less attitude. The defense looked fair on some weeks, but only when Springs was healthy. We need someone as good as Springs. We don't have to have the best in the league.

I like him in coverage. We were using a lot of cover 2 because of injury, I was under the impression we didn't use it that much, otherwise. Before the Lions went to a cover two, he was a fantastic cover corner, and a real turnover machine, which was an even bigger problem we had. If they take, say, Brunell for him (They need someone to duke it out with J Russell or Brady Quinn for the starting role), why not?

Dre Bly is awesome... just ask him.

The Skins don't need another Brandon Lloyd type on the team. Dre is a "me" player who is decent in man to man coverage, but avoids contact like a disease. Plus, as others have pointed out, the Lions are getting rid of him because he sucks in the Cover 2 scheme. Why pick up a guy who doesn't fit with your defense?

Also, he's going in to the last year of his contract-- I doubt the Lions would cut him if they can't make a trade. They are thin at corner as it is.

We could trade them Betts and they could give us a 3rd round pick and Bly.:whoknows:

And break up our one two punch at running back ? No we need to resign Chris Cooley and Dockery before we even think out side of the organization.

We just don't have a player we that's expendable.....Betts certainly isn't expendable

Archived