Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking at different options at MLB - news

Skinsinparadise

Let's keep it simple. Keep Washington where he is now, re-place Holdman with Rocky and keep Marshall at MLB.

If we start doing some fantasy moves like moving Arch to LB and moving Washington to the middle we're gonna end up paying for it and it won't work out...TRUST ME!!!

We need to do one of 2 things with our first round pick:

1. Pick a DE like Jamal Anderson or Gaines Adams. Preferably Anderson.

or

2. Trading the 1st round pick for a 1st round pick later in the draft and a 2nd so that we can pick up P. Willis as Marshall's eventual re-placement.

Don't care put a Ray Lewis or Urlacher at our MLB and you'll get the same results. Oh so we're saying that Washington is ate up. Subjectively don't think that's the case. I think untill we get our DL men to keep those guards and tackles off our LBs they will, and whoever that is, continue to get caught in the wash. Just another thread started with a vision that indicates why we won't be going to the Super Bowl anytime soon. Its other pieces that matter the most. Ex. put a Ladanian thompson in our backfield and see what you get, or a Roy Williams / Dawkins at safety....and see what you get. When you have one piece and not the rest of the pieces then its like a puzzle, it's not complete and doesn't fit.

Its funny... this time last year everyone was complaining that Marshall didn't make it to the Pro Bowl...

fast forward to a year where out DTs played horrible and now Marshall is expendable and should be moved back to the Weakside...

what 365 days will change.. I love NFL Fans!

Its funny... this time last year everyone was complaining that Marshall didn't make it to the Pro Bowl...

fast forward to a year where out DTs played horrible and now Marshall is expendable and should be moved back to the Weakside...

what 365 days will change.. I love NFL Fans!

that is the difference a year makes.. the d line did not play well, marshall never fully recovered from surgery and linebacker play was totally exposed.

marshall is simply too light and too small framed to play MLB consistenctly inthe nfl.. he also trailed play after play and missed a ton of tackles this year. he is a pumped up safety for goodness sakes..

he either belongs on the bench as first sub or in competition for WLB.. even if the d line is better, he will not hold up at MLB..

it is that simple

I personally want MW at MLB, Rocky at strong side, and Arch at weak side

What? Archuletta is NOT a LB - what does he weigh, about 210? He would be killed trying to take on lineman and TEs and every team in the NFL would run right at him.

Also MW is arguably our best player on defense at OLB so why move him - you don't solve a probem by creating another one elsewhere.

Not going to happen.

Find a new MLB and move Lemar over to compete with Rocky for the slot opposite MW. Thats the only thing that makes sense.

Improved D'line play is critical whatever we do at LB though.

Lemar knows the defense much more than Rocky. i don't see Rocky beating out Lemar at OLB.
Exactly.

I see these threads every three weeks or so. Everybody seems quick to dismiss Lemar, but all anybody talks about is his size. What about his mind? Nobody on the team, save Williams, knows the defense as well as Marshall. And nobody on the defense studies as hard as Marshall. If you're going to replace him with somebody else, he'd better be willing to put in the hours studying, and he'd better be able to think fast enough to manage the defense in real time.

Replacing Lemar Marshall is more than simply replacing a MLB.

first off,i think fletcher would be a great signing.knows the system and won't break the bank.

second,i have faith we will fix the D-line troubles.we have a couple of youngins that played pretty well.AC came on strong at the end of the year for a pass rush,so i'm not too worried.

and third,(heres where i get into trouble)what if we traded or fisrt rounder and maybe our second from next year for Vilma and the jets second.hes young,proven,pure MLB,and we could still pick up a good corner or d lineman in the draft.personally,if vilma was avalible at the fourth pick and we had to make that trade in the draft to get him,i would.

fire away!

Just another thread started with a vision that indicates why we won't be going to the Super Bowl anytime soon. Its other pieces that matter the most.

LOL, look I didn't start this thread with a vision -- if you read it closely you'll see that I am just reporting the whispers section from Pro Football Weekly. Apparently, on the MLB issue that's what the Redskins are thinking -- the thread started with their opinion not mine. As to the Redskins and other people on this board not getting it and you have the master plan to bring them back to the Superbowl -- cool enough, you have a right of course to believe that. But this thread didn't start as an opinion piece it just was reporting an article.

One thing to keep in mind the Cowboys next season probably start Barber who weighs about the same as Marshall, and the Giants start Jacobs who is about 30 pounds heavier than Marshall. Personally, I don't think it bodes well to have division rivals with running backs as heavy or heavier than our middle linebacker. And as to the criticism from some that we are talking about this -- yeah of course we need to bolster our defensive line but who says we can't do both? Is the league only allowing us one upgrade this year? I don't recall threads saying our defensive line is fine and upgrading our middle linbacker is the ONLY thing we should do. When it comes to NFL teams being judged on stopping the run -- yeah the defensive tackles are of course mentioned but so is the middle linebacker.

The skins need a MLB. I like Marshall on the outside providing depth. He can play all three positions for short periods of time if the starters go down. The question now is who are the skins going to pickup to play MLB.

Well, they let McCune get away when they tried to sneak him off the practice squad, and Dolphins swallowed him up. Dolphins sites are saying he's being counted on as a starter this year, and may even challenge for the MLB spot...DAMM!!!!

Not sure the'Skins currently have any good prospects at MLB, so perhaps a lower tiered FA or a draft pick... I dunno. MW also got hurt a few times this year, so I expect LB to be a priority, right behind another quality DE and DT. Cornerback?? Oh yeah, them too....geeesh

that is the difference a year makes.. the d line did not play well, marshall never fully recovered from surgery and linebacker play was totally exposed.

marshall is simply too light and too small framed to play MLB consistenctly inthe nfl.. he also trailed play after play and missed a ton of tackles this year. he is a pumped up safety for goodness sakes..

he either belongs on the bench as first sub or in competition for WLB.. even if the d line is better, he will not hold up at MLB..

it is that simple

Agreed. The play from the D-Line can go far in hiding weaknesses behind them. A real good pass rush and the secondary looks like Pro Bowlers..NO pass rush and the secondary gets exposed for what weaknesses it has. A Good DL push for run stopping, and the LBs can run downhill and attack the RBs...Bad DLine play and the LBs get blocked and get exposed, thus showing poor coverage and tackling skills when they have to run after the ball carrier as opposed to running to the ball carrier. Let's not forget that Marshall cost us both the Raiders game and the Chargers game in 2005. He got beat for a TD pass late against the Raiders, and was out of position and whiffed against LT and the Chargers in OT. This past season he was exposed that he cannot cover well, and all too often he missed on some tackles that may have made some difference. Others on defense sucked too, but it's the MLB that MUST be the most active and sure tackler of the front seven in the middle.

Exactly.

I see these threads every three weeks or so. Everybody seems quick to dismiss Lemar, but all anybody talks about is his size. What about his mind? Nobody on the team, save Williams, knows the defense as well as Marshall. And nobody on the defense studies as hard as Marshall. If you're going to replace him with somebody else, he'd better be willing to put in the hours studying, and he'd better be able to think fast enough to manage the defense in real time.

Replacing Lemar Marshall is more than simply replacing a MLB.

Knowing it and executing it are two worlds apart. So what if LM knows it better than anyone?...what good is that if he SUCKS at executing it??? Yes, give him a chance to compete, but just don't pencil him in as the starter just yet. Last year, WHoldman knew the defense much much better than LaVar, but in the end LaVar had twice the number of tackles, and in fewer games.

Does some how trading down and picking up Paul Pozlusny make sense to anyone? This guy is smart, and is a tackling machine. Two time LB of the year in college. We could also pick up a pass rusher or best available with the other pick.

Poz is a beast! I would love this if we could trade down and get a late first rounder and an additional 2nd round pick.

it is that simple

Brian Urlacher was a safety in college also who was converted to MLB. Marshall appears small, but that is because he is like 6'2. Putting someone else at the MLB position would be almost like changing QB's. I agree we struggled at the LB position, but we struggled as a WHOLE on defense, not just at the linebacker positions. When our DT's are getting manhandled it doesn't leave the back 7 in a very good position to make plays.

Marshall understands the defense . . . as well and better than Pierce did. They are practically the same size, excpet Marshall is much taller.

I belive it would be foolish to start messing with that, when their are other important holes to fille. The real probelm is in the trenches, fix that and everything else will fall into place. Also, Marshall was recoverig from shoulder surgery and he played with that iunjury for almost an entire season in 05', so I'm not ready to demote him just yet.

Sure, if Fletcher were to come here at a reasonable price I say grab him, and let Marshall and Fletcher and Rocky battle it out for the other 2 LB spots. Hell, we need depth and this could only help us. They are all gonna see the field and in the course of the season we will need all of them.

But I bet you with another offseason, and if Marshall could bulk up a few lbs he is gonna be just fine. Defensive line is the most important hole to fill and where to add depth. We also need depth at the linebacker spot, but the CB's are who need to focus on after D line . . . I belive we are ok with our LB's as we curebntly have them and that going out and breaking the bank on another Trotter is going to limit what we can do at other positions . . . and lord knows we need stability wherever possible.

For what its worth whether its ESPN or whatever NFL periodical even in Marshall's better first year I recall seeing a quote that said "he's just a guy" and went on to explain he's nothing special. I don't recall once any periodical putting Marshall as one of the elite MLBs he is usually ranked average to below. Now they all could be getting it wrong, doesn't make it gospel. But Marshall is already over 30. It's hard for me to imagine that he's on the upside to his career. And as far as the post that said he knows the defense better than Pierce did, maybe but how would you know? I recall reading in several places at the time including a quote from Marty about Pierce being one of the smarter players they've ever coached. Griffin gave credit to Pierce for his big year in 04 in part by saying Pierce was great at anticipating the opponents plays. Arrington said in 04 that Pierce was the key player on their defense. I don't recall any accolades like that about Lemar. And it was Pierce who made the pro-bowl this year not Lemar -- and I don't recall reading anyone say that Lemar was snubbed in either year for not making it. Look screw Pierce am just using him becuase he was once on our team and he clearly is MUCH more highly regarded by NFL observers than Lemar. Apparently according to the article in Pro-Football Weekly the Skins think they must do something about this position -- maybe we are all wrong -- but all is pointing to otherwise.

Archived