Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

www.ArtMonk.org << Calling all web design/programmers who love ART MONK

slinky

What do you need help with?

I would just go with the classic web 2.0 style - CSS layout in Skins team colors. Photos/media section, career accomplishments section, quotes from other players...

Comparison page against others in the Hall...

top ten list of reasons why he should be in...

Come up with a nice T-Shirt design to put on cafepress...

Links to list of HOF voters...

What else?

What do you need help with?

I would just go with the classic web 2.0 style - CSS layout in Skins team colors. Photos/media section, career accomplishments section, quotes from other players...

Comparison page against others in the Hall...

top ten list of reasons why he should be in...

Come up with a nice T-Shirt design to put on cafepress...

Links to list of HOF voters...

What else?

you sound like a designer :) and someone who would be great to plan this with.

we can offer fans of Monk a place to write Monk Blogs, memories section, promote Monks charities (like everyone said, he is a hall of famer in football and in life).

please.. anyone else have ideas for this site, post in this thread as well and the people building it will do our best to make it happen.

:point2sky

you sound like a designer :) and someone who would be great to plan this with.

we can offer fans of Monk a place to write Monk Blogs, memories section, promote Monks charities (like everyone said, he is a hall of famer in football and in life).

please.. anyone else have ideas for this site, post in this thread as well and the people building it will do our best to make it happen.

:point2sky

You may want to make a section on his football camp, since HOF voters seems to look at community involvment when making their decisions.

I'd be glad to contribute my video to the site once it's ready.

I also think you should have a section where fan comments about Monk are posted, especially the ones that show the lasting effect he had on the game and on people's lives. Like the comments going right now in the "Tell Monk what you think of him" thread.

This is one area where Monk has a REAL BIG advantage over ANY of his competitors, and I think that needs to be pushed. There is NO OTHER nominee that engenders the kind of lifelong, passionate support that Monk engenders, and that's because of the person he was and the nobility and honor he brought to the game. THAT should be considered in his candidacy, and I don't think it ever has been.

DjTj is the guy you want to hook up with on this project. He's already started something like this. I'll dig around for the link.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/

cool, thanks, i'll get in touch with him.

anyone else interested in helping? especially developers/programmers?

also. list any more site features you would like to see.

can we get ES to officially sponsor the site once it is up? Maybe get the Redskins to sponsor it?

can anyone send me as much Art Monk photos and artwork as you can? Especially high quality/large photos... i've googled as much as i could.. send to:

creative[at]artmonk.org

(just set up the email, wait a few hours to send emails so they don't bounce :)

I suggest using a content management system, like joomla. It makes maintenance easier and has components and software addons

I am familiar with Joomla and dozens of other CMS's, but alas, I am still but only a designer... my programming skills are minimal....

sooooo any programmers out there? :)

I can HTML; all you really need to know is how to work an iframe, iframe placement, and get an image mapper for your navagation links. If this happens to be your base image for the layout depending how much of a mass project you want. I may be able to place some time and effort into working your iframes and mapping your navigation to show on the same page. Click a link and the info appears in the same spot. If you're looking to make each link seperate pages...I also webdesign though with my computer setting on fire due to a short circuit I work off a mac and now am dampering in the imaging programs available. Though my sister has PS and I could probably put a little time in there as well.

I work full time and coach as well as maintain a personal life but I'd be willing to try and throw a little time in to help.

Send me a pm and I'll foward you some of the layouts I've designed for backup to my work.

i'de prefer to code this site in php/ajax/CSS standards (no tables for layouts :)

here's the latest version... tryin to add more about his charity/football camp/community service.

i'll take a break until tomorrow. I am sure i'll make major changes tomorrow.

monkkq1.jpg

Ok. So I just purchased http://www.ArtMonk.org and I want to see who wants to help build this thing out into the ultimate Monk promotional site and fan site.

My background is in web design. So the more help from other designers and programmers the better.

Throw your name into this thread be help.

The Man

The Player

What I believe is missing, and something I'm interested in is a more statistical based analysis of why this is such a big problem. Sites like Football Outsiders have taken on the "sabermetric" style of analysing football stats in a different way to the traditional with often remarkable results. I am quite sure if you start to look at the DVOA ratings and Win Shares for a guy that converted so many key 3rd downs, who caught >100 passes in an era when that was pretty much unheard of, and when we analyse the stats in terms of normalised relatives to league averages (z-scores and the like), we can show Monk was actually a lot more dominating than we might think.

Anyone who has read the book "Dominance" by Eddie Epstein can see the kind of thing that I mean, where he showed that the 1991 Redskins team was actually the 2nd best team of all time in terms of dominance in the league.

We all know that era is a huge factor in downplaying Monks numbers, its time we started crunching some numbers in a more advanced way to be able to compare his achievements in an era-independent context. I am very certain people will be extremely surprised at just how high Monk's value would scale up when compared to the league/era he played in, relative to the same guys today who are putting up bigger numbers but in a totally different context.

Archived