Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Law School

mhd24

I just graduated in May, passed the MD Bar this past summer. All the things that you've heard about the "hell" of your first year, don't believe it. If you're intelligent enough to get into GW, then you should have no problems.

The one best piece of advice I can give you is this: If you are around another student who starts freaking out about an exam or writing assignment, get as far away from that person as possible. Stress is like a contagious disease in law school, so it helps to quarantine yourself from those types.

Three year party.

I'm not kidding - I found law school much easier than college.

Don't let them intimidate you - you deserve to be there. And there is nothing wrong with using commercial outlines and stuff - you are trying to learn, not trying to "remain pure in your methids of study."

Actually, you are a gay 16 year old doctor with a friend named Vinnie and a girlfriend named Wanda. :D

he was not a gay doctor...doctor = TV, GAY = REAL life thank you!:rolleyes:;)

your the first so you get the boobie prize, i thought for sure someone would have gotten around to it by now..but nope..your the first:D :silly: of course I kinda set myself up for that one too, so I gave you a bit of help.:logo:

Any lawyers/current students describe the life while in school? I just got accepted to GW, so I'm pumped. That said, how was your law school expierences? Any GW alumni here?

Congrats, I am waiting to hear back from schools right now actually, though I sent out my applications barely 2-3 weeks ago, so it will take a while. I'm deifnitely out of GWU's range though. I just hope to hear something good soon. Again, congrats and good luck!

Predicto, I hope you are being serious :laugh:

congrats man! GW is a great school - I worked with a couple GW students two summers ago, and I actually took my BarBri classes there. I just graduated from UVA last May, and although I won't say that it was a breeze, as long as you pay attention in class and do the reading, you'll be fine ...

Congrats, I am waiting to hear back from schools right now actually, though I sent out my applications barely 2-3 weeks ago, so it will take a while. I'm deifnitely out of GWU's range though. I just hope to hear something good soon. Again, congrats and good luck!

Predicto, I hope you are being serious :laugh:

Thanks, Where did you apply?

The toughest part of most applications for me was the personal statement. I spent roughly a month revising it.

Any lawyers/current students describe the life while in school? I just got accepted to GW, so I'm pumped. That said, how was your law school expierences? Any GW alumni here?

Congrats! I'm a GW alum (class of 2005). I'll second the sentiment of some of the other posters in this thread. Don't be intimidated with the first year hype. As long as you work hard, you'll be fine. It's kind of early to think about this now, but definately work during your first summer. It looks good on your resume and may give you some idea of what kind of courses you might want to take during second and third year. I interned for a DC district court judge during my first year summer and it was a great experience (other than the commute. I lived in fairfax).

Other than that, the cliche law school advice applies: don't focus too much in one area too soon, try to get on the law review or other journals (besides being a good line on the resume, two years in the law review will make give you a great opportunity to hone your legal writing skills. Nice networking tool as well), and make good use of commercial outline (it doesn't replace what you learn in class, but it's a nice supplement). Good luck in your studies.

Thanks, Where did you apply?

The toughest part of most applications for me was the personal statement. I spent roughly a month revising it.

Heh, I ended up applying to 13 schools. W&M and GMU are reaches for me, as is Penn State though not as much. I am really hoping for Penn State though mainly cause I like the professors and programs they have. Plus, I kinda wanted a big football school, heh, prompting me to also apply to Florida, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. As with most applications, I had a variety of safe schools and reach schools anyways, but Penn State is where I would like to go.

The personal statement is annoying. I know I could have done better on my LSAT, but I actually liked studying for it. The personal statement, after I finally wrote it, I spent at least two weeks just staring at it, making improvements, and then asked three different people with three different editing styles to look at it, then started at it some more. Then I sent my apps, re-read it, and still thinks it sucks, heh.

Oh well, I heard that your UGPA and LSAT are about 98% of your application anyways. I hope that is true.

The one best piece of advice I can give you is this: If you are around another student who starts freaking out about an exam or writing assignment, get as far away from that person as possible. Stress is like a contagious disease in law school, so it helps to quarantine yourself from those types.

This is the piece of advice I've seen in this thread that most closely resembles what I would say about my law school experience. (WVU) People freaking out all over the place about nothing.

I would also suggest that you get a reliable laptop for your classes. Most people don't realize that law school is basically just a semester-long lecture and then one big test at the end. (Most classes don't have any other tests or quizes or anything of the sort.) So unless you've got Incredible Hulk hands, you won't be able to take the copious amount of notes without some pain. My laptop allowed me to keep more notes than I'd ever taken in my life, which was very useful.

I also suggest making some friends and sharing outlines at the end of the semesters before the exam. You never know what someone else will have heard that you didn't.

Finally, like another poster said, don't be afraid of canned outlines. I bought a set of flash cards for my first year classes and the info on those cards was almost identical to the questions on the exams.

Good luck. Like it has been said though, getting in is the hardest part. It's REALLY hard to fail in law school.

All of the advice given above should be well taken.

The only thing that I'd add is that I treated the first year as an 8 to 5 job. No matter when my classes were scheduled I'd be on campus at 8 a.m. (or reasonably close thereto) and stay on campus until 5 or so. In between classes I'd study, do my reading, etc. If you get into the routine, it makes it much easier. You're on top of your reading and assignments and not worrying about whether or not you'll get called on in class and being unprepared.

For what its worth, it worked for me.

The old addage rings true, the first year they scare you to death; the second year they work you to death; and the third year they bore you to death.

Good luck!

My buddy just graduated GW law last spring, a lot of time and stress but he said the college wasnt bad the bar exams sucked

I graduated GW undergrad last may – if you want any advise on the area, campus, student life, ect. give me a PM. Clearly I don’t know anything about the law school but I know a lot about GW in general especially Foggy Bottom.

Good luck.

Archived