Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

war room mock draft -- 2/1/07

Skinsinparadise

(1)Raiders aMarcus Russell* QB LSU Owner/GM Al Davis loves Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr.'s electrifying speed but should realize his team is in desperate need of a quarterback.

2 (2)Lions Joe Thomas T Wis. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz knows the importance of having a strong line and although Thomas is not as good as the Rams' Orlando Pace, a former Martz player, he projects as a solid NFL left tackle.

3 (3)Browns Adrian Peterson* RB Oklahoma (pick subject to coin flip) If Thomas is off the board, Browns officials will debate long and hard between Peterson and Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch but should go with Peterson in the hope his great talent can be harnessed.

4 (4)Buccaneers Calvin Johnson* WR Georgia Tech (pick subject to coin flip) The Bucs need an offensive spark; Johnson has the strength, hands, toughness and character to immediately boost their passing attack.

5 (5)Cardinals Jamaal Anderson* DE Arkansas New coach Ken Whisenhunt would prefer to get Thomas at this spot to anchor the offensive line for the next decade. Instead, the Cardinals should take the best defensive end in the draft.

6 (6)Redskins Gaines Adams DE Clemson The Redskins have talent on defense but lack an explosive edge rusher who consistently can threaten the corner.

7 (7)Vikings Ted Ginn Jr.* WR Ohio St. The Vikings need offensive firepower, and the super-fast Ginn would give them a downfield threat who makes big plays all over the field.

8 (8)Texans Alan Branch* DT Michigan The Texans should continue to rebuild their defense. Branch is versatile and could line up in a variety of spots along the line.

9 (9)Dolphins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville New Dolphins coach Cam Cameron might go with this star athlete because in two seasons Okoye, only 19, will be the best defensive tackle from this year's class.

10 (10)Falcons Aaron Ross CB Texas Falcons GM Rich McKay hopes to get either of the two elite defensive ends -- Anderson or Adams -- at this spot. If both are gone, McKay should take the tall and athletic Ross to work opposite DeAngelo Hall.

11 (11)49ers Leon Hall CB Michigan The 49ers' secondary is inconsistent, and Hall is productive and tough.

12 (12)Bills Zach Miller* TE Arizona St. The Bills have great young talent at running back (Willis McGahee) and wide receiver (Lee Evans). Miller would give quarterback J.P. Losman yet another big-play option.

13 (13)Rams Paul Posluszny OLB Penn State Rams officials would prefer to draft an edge pass rusher, but none figure to be available at No. 13. Instead, the team should take the top linebacker on the board.

14 (14)Panthers Greg Olsen* TE Miami (FL) Panthers coaches have concerns at safety and would consider LSU's LaRon Landry if available, but the chance to finally add an explosive tight end to the offense makes too much sense.

15 (15)Steelers Justin Blalock G Texas Steelers officials will debate long and hard between drafting a cornerback or offensive lineman here but should take the athletically gifted Blalock, who only needs to improve his technique to become a very good NFL player.

16 (16)Packers Marshawn Lynch* RB Cal Packers officials want a running back and will debate long and hard about whether to take Lynch or Auburn's Kenny Irons. The team should go with Lynch because Irons has a slight frame and might struggle to hold up to an NFL pounding. Ohio State's Antonio Pittman is in the conversation, too.

17 (17)Jaguars Jarvis Moss* DE Florida The Jaguars must upgrade their outside pass rush, and Moss is an athletic and explosive young defensive end.

18 (18)Bengals DeMarcus Tyler DT NC State The Bengals must improve their interior defensive line, and the raw Tyler would give them a talented young lineman who could play in the near future.

19 (19)Titans Dwayne Bowe WR LSU The Titans, with Vince Young at the helm, improved greatly down the stretch in '06 despite mediocre wide receivers. Bowe is built like a Greek god and would give Young a major weapon outside as he continues to develop.

20 (20)Giants Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse The Giants have a surprising number of needs and might go for Tiki Barber's replacement here. However, Jackson has good size, athleticism and versatility and is too valuable to pass up.

21 (21)Broncos Adam Carriker DT Nebraska Broncos coach/GM Mike Shanahan will go back and forth between a cornerback and a defensive end at this spot, but Carriker's shining performance at the Senior Bowl might be the difference.

22 (22)Cowboys LaRon Landry S LSU The Cowboys are desperate for an NFL-quality safety to pair with Roy Williams. Landry would be able to cover deep while Williams attacks the run.

23 (23)Chiefs Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame The Chiefs are expected to go for defense in the first round. If Quinn falls into his lap, GM Carl Peterson won't pass on getting his quarterback of the future to replace Trent Green, who turns 37 in July.

24 (24)Patriots Anthony Spencer DE Purdue (from Seattle) Patriots coach Bill Belichick and GM Scott Pioli love versatile defenders, and Spencer could play outside linebacker or inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme or defensive end when the defensive shifts to a 4-3 look.

25 (25)Jets Antonio Pittman* RB Ohio St. It would be a mild surprise to see the Jets take a running back here, but Pittman is versatile and tough enough to be a feature back. It also would allow Leon Washington to remain a change-of-pace back and create quite the one-two punch for the Jets.

26 (26)Eagles Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL) The Eagles have a gaping hole alongside Brian Dawkins. Team officials will debate between Meriweather and Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse and could gamble on Meriweather because of his on-field impact in all aspects of defense.

27 (27)Saints Daymeion Hughes CB Cal The Saints need help in the secondary, and Hughes is a tough and instinctive cornerback with good tools.

28 (28)Patriots Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St. Star cornerback Asante Samuel is an unrestricted free agent, so the Patriots could go for his replacement with one of their two first-round picks. Even if the team re-signs Samuel, McCauley still makes sense because Ellis Hobbs is short and more suited to be a nickel back. It would be somewhat of a gamble because McCauley had a terrible senior season and even worse Senior Bowl.

29 (29)Ravens Josh Beekman G Boston Coll. The Ravens' interior offensive line was inconsistent in '06, and Beekman would challenge for a starting job as a rookie.

30 (30)Chargers Reggie Nelson* S Florida The Chargers have struggled to get consistent play at both safety positions, and Nelson is an instinctive playmaker who makes plays all over the field.

31 (31)Colts Ray McDonald DT Florida The Colts, despite a strong run in the playoffs, still have problems in the middle of their defense. McDonald has the versatility to be productive at defensive end or defensive tackle.

32 (32)Bears Levi Brown T Penn State The Bears already have a great team, but adding youth and athleticism along the offensive line is a priority. Brown is inconsistent but has the raw tools to be an elite player.

Brady Quinn has every chance of falling that far. He's performed poorly against big time competition.

Did you ever consider that it was because of Brady Quinn, and not despite him, that the ND program is in a postion to once again participate in big games? His acknowledged "poor" performances in big games is more about the lack of talent around him and not an indication of his individual talent. He is a top 5 pick. This mock draft is a joke.

Brady Quinn won't fall that far. I also don't think the Skins would pick Adams over Branch. They say Okoye will wind up being the best DT out of this draft class in 2 years. That right there made this mock lose its credibility. Alan Branch could just as easily be the best out of this draft class. I like Okoye, but I hate it when people chalk up players as the next greatest thing, when they haven't even been drafted yet.

i can't believe Ted Ginn is being picked #7 in this draft. being an OSU fan, i've realized that he's not gonna be that good at the NFL level. he's not a reciever he's justa really fast guys. i mean sure he's gonna burn people sometimes but really he's kind of a ***** going across the middle and really cant catch anything but long bombs.

I stopped reading after i read Greg Olsen's name. I don't know much about the guy, but I haven't seen him in ANY first round yet, let alone top 20. and I would MUCH MUCH rather have Branch than Adams. Hell, I'd rather have CJ than Adams, and everyone knows how much I detest the idea of drafting a WR.

LaRon Landry .... In Dallas .... Now thats a first. I'd love it, but it ain't happening.

I bet you'd love that, and I'd absolutely HATE IT. I think that boy is going to be a BEAST! And, some of the mock draft I see being pretty interesting, but there are some things I question very strongly. I think the Lions know that they do need a QB and they will not let Brady Quinn slip away, if they did that, it would be one of the worst decisions they've ever made. And, I can't find Micahel Griffin on there, there are many teams that need DB's and I've heard he raised his stock in the senior bowl and coaches liked what they saw from him, so I think he will be up there in the mix.

I really get the feeling that we are going to bargin and get quanity, along with quality this year.

I think we trade down.

Me 2. But! Anderson will be a beast, put on more muscle, speed, technique and eventually be on of the best DEs in the league in 2-3 years. But if we trade down between 10-13 pick grab a 2nd.. 3rd..? Maybe more??? Grab Okoye in 1st, grab a MLB, DT or DB in 2nd and the same plus maybe OL in the 3rd. I guess I would be alright with that. Unless we start shopping some players around!!!

If we don't get either Akoye or Branch OR trade down, this team is DONE! This mock draft is retarded and obviously doesn't know much about the Redskins needs....like why DT more important than DE....its because we have Marshall and Holdman as our Linebackers. We need a dominant DT more because a RB will run right past our 1st pick DE when running up the middle. Anyone remember Steaven Jackson's monster game against us at the end of the season?...'nough said.

Kind of funny. If Mayock would have had Aaron Rodgers falling to #24 at this point in 2005, he would have been laughed at. In fact, if he would have had Aaron Rodgers falling to #24 in mid-April 2005 he would have been laughed at. Now he's a genius. When it comes to QBs in the draft, literally anything can happen. Seriously. You never know, a team might even trade three picks a week before the draft to move up a snag a guy who was considered a 2nd day pick when the offseason started...

I'm growing less and less fond of the idea of taking Adams by the second. I disagree with their assessment that we lack a rusher who can challenge the edge; I think Andre Carter is that player, and I think he showed it over the last 6-8 weeks of the season. With a big guy commanding double teams in the middle, Carter could explode.

If Alan Branch is still available, I think I'll be upset if we don't take him. J. Anderson would fit well at RDE if he's there, but I think Branch is the stud we need in the middle.

Did you ever consider that it was because of Brady Quinn, and not despite him, that the ND program is in a postion to once again participate in big games? His acknowledged "poor" performances in big games is more about the lack of talent around him and not an indication of his individual talent. He is a top 5 pick. This mock draft is a joke.

I'm not saying he WILL drop that far but saying there was a lack of talent around him is pretty inaccurate considering they were ranked as high as 2nd in the polls early in the season.

RB Darius Walker

WR Jeff Samardzija

WR Rhema McKnight

OT Ryan Harris

OG Dan Santucci

8 returning starters on defense

9 returning starters on offense

Exactly how much talent do you need to see around Brady Quinn?

Personally I think mock drafts are mostly useless until after the combines and workouts. Although they do serve a certain purpose right now in determining a general field of consensus. That's why I get a kick out of people spouting off with such confidence and bravado that a certain player is a lock at a certain draft slot.

I see too much Rick Mirer in Brady Quinn to put any stock in him. This mock is as credible as any right now.

with the argument of Brady Quinn... I do think the kid is very good and has attributed greatly to the reason Notre Dame was even a threat this season, but he has struggled in big games. I'm not saying that he is awful, but I am saying that he has struggled when he is on a big stage. However, I don't think that that will lead to him being dropped so far in the draft. The guy has excellent size and skills, he can be molded with any decent coaching staff to be one of the top QB's. BUT... I would never put money down on where a guy is going to be drafted, because after all, I did not see the Texans taking Mario Williams over Bush or Vince Young... during the draft strange things can happen, and sometimes those strange things can really play a large advantage in a teams success. I believe that the Redskins have several options they can use other than jumping on top of Alan Branch or Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams and investing every single hope to make our team better in them. Those players will more than likely do great, but they will not make OUR team superbowl caliber. We need A LOT OF HELP... just my two cents...

I'm not saying he WILL drop that far but saying there was a lack of talent around him is pretty inaccurate considering they were ranked as high as 2nd in the polls early in the season.

RB Darius Walker

WR Jeff Samardzija

WR Rhema McKnight

OT Ryan Harris

OG Dan Santucci

8 returning starters on defense

9 returning starters on offense

Exactly how much talent do you need to see around Brady Quinn?

Personally I think mock drafts are mostly useless until after the combines and workouts. Although they do serve a certain purpose right now in determining a general field of consensus. That's why I get a kick out of people spouting off with such confidence and bravado that a certain player is a lock at a certain draft slot.

I see too much Rick Mirer in Brady Quinn to put any stock in him. This mock is as credible as any right now.

I am sorry that this forum is the only way you get your "kicks". If that is the case, than I am sure you will enjoy this reply. Rick Mirer=Brady Quinn is a HUGE stretch and it is almost like comparing Steve Burlein to Joe Montana. Look Bro, I am a 'skins fan and could care less about B Quinn and ND football, however since Quinn has been at South Bend you have to admit there has been a vast improvement in the team and the "buzz" about ND football has been a little higher than in the past. As far as this "talent" you have listed below as the so-called supporting cast for Quinn, only baseball boy(Samardzija) had any real chance to be drafted in the first two rounds. Forget the hype, if Samardzija had been a "lock" to be drafted in the first round, he would have received more guaranteed money from any NFL team than he would have received from the Cubs, and by the way he "disappeared" in big games as well. See a trend? No talent around them. The rest of the ND guys you listed are "B" level NFL talent to say the least. B Quinn has skills.

RB Darius Walker

WR Jeff Samardzija

WR Rhema McKnight

OT Ryan Harris

OG Dan Santucci

Archived