Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grand Canyon

dockeryfan

I'm planning a trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in April, and I want to mostly do some hiking, maybe camping if I gan get the permits in time.

Any favorite trails for people that have been there before?

Also, I'm considering going to Zion National Park. If anyone has some insight into either park, it would be much appreciated.

I did the South Rim in 1994.

Got reservations to overnight on the canyon floor at Phantom Ranch. (more on that below).

Stayed up top at Bright Angel Lodge the night before hiking down S. Kaibab Trail to the canyon floor the next day in a serious friggin' blizzard. I have the pictures to prove it. :)

Because of the snow cancellations, we were able to upgrade our Phantom Ranch digs from the dormitory (quonset hut) to Teddy Roosevelt's private cabin for the same price. We liked that.

Climbed back out the next day up Bright Angel Trail.

The place simply defies description or pictures. Glad you're planning to make the trip. Whether you hike all the way down or not, do be sure to at least hike down a couple thousand yards to get away from the masses of tourists. You won't regret it.

And whatever you do, don't ride the mules.

The place simply defies description or pictures. .

Absolutely it does.

What struck me immediately was how dangerous that place is. Seriously, one wrong step and you're toast.

I had absolutely no idea that it would be that sheer (sp? or is it shear?)

The place simply defies description or pictures. Glad you're planning to make the trip. Whether you hike all the way down or not, do be sure to at least hike down a couple thousand yards to get away from the masses of tourists. You won't regret it.

And whatever you do, don't ride the mules.

:applause: To what Om said.

I took my first trip out there last year and was absolutely AMAZED. No pictures, books, videos will EVER do the GC justice. It's simply amazing and absolutely breaktaking.

We stayed in Williams, AZ and drove into the park early in the morning. Whatever you do, make sure you get to the park early. The lines to get in get absolutely out of control.

Make sure that you have plenty of water with you at all times. Even a small walk into the canyon can hurt in the sun. Its very easy to get dehydrated out there cause you'll sweat so much.

Anyway ... I wish that I could have stayed there longer and hiked. We only went for the day. I regret that ... it would have been nicer to stay and take the bus loop and see parts of the canyon that cars cant get to. Stay for a couple of days!!!

Absolutely it does.

What struck me immediately was how dangerous that place is. Seriously, one wrong step and you're toast.

I had absolutely no idea that it would be that sheer (sp? or is it shear?)

Which reminds me of something ...

There was a tourbus of Asian folks that got off at one of the very steep overlooks - which happened to be protected by a stone wall. Yeah ... well ... many of them hopped up on the wall and started walking on the wall. CRAZY. There was at least a 100ft drop straight down from that wall.

Don't do anything stupid or crazy.

Over the summer, I, my father in law, my brother in law, and my mom went on a week long white water rafting trip down the Grand Canyon. We covered about 200 miles, and I was thrilled to be feeling well enough to go as the rest of the summer I was out of it. My favorite hike was up to a grainery. It was only about 500 ft difference in elevation from the water to the grainery, but it's a hike where parts were done on our hands and knees. Up and back was only a couple hours, and it was tiring after a day on the water, but the views were fanatastic!

There were a lot of little hikes that we took to various waterfalls and slot canyon trails, but without my map I would be hard pressed to give you names.

If you are looking for near by day hikes, I'd recomend Bryce Canyon in Utah. THe pillars coming out of the ground there are breath taking and take a bit less trouble to get to than the middle of the Grand Canyon. That said, there is nothing like looking up 2,000 to 3,000 feet of rock and thinking about about just how old the rocks are on either side of you. Reminds me of a comment our guide had when asked how long the hike was: "A creationist would say about 5 to 6 days."

There is a resort that is more like a motel at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and it has hiking trails in and out of the Canyon. Honestly when we stopped by there and hiked in from the water, I was amazed at how much they charge per night. It's kind of a ripoff for the basic rooms, but I'm told they have better. The only reason we stopped is because after 2.5 days on the water, some people were really craving using a flushing toilet :laugh: The hikes around htere didn't do much for me...I would rather have kept going. Om, did you like Phantom ranch? I wasn't that impressed for what they charge. Talk about "location , location, location" being what matters :D

If you have time enough (and money) check out Hatch River tours. They put together a nice trip. (hope that doesn't count as spam...if so let me know and I'll delete this part)

Have yet, in my near 20 years living here, to go to the Grand Canyon. :doh: I hope to remedy that one day. Zions on the other hand, been many years since I have been there, but there are some great trails there. Some amazing scenery and it's dramatic how it can change. Here's the official site of the place if that's any help.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/

Okay, dammit. I wasn't going to, but why not? We've had some good threads about the canyon before you might enjoy, so I linked them below. I'm afraid you might find the POST quoted below in each. What can I say, the place moved me. :)

The Threads:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151842

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103592

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27879

The post:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1424279&postcount=12

In the desert that year, from that which we hear

two Hermanos did venture, for reasons unclear

to the high Arizona and the Canyon called Grand

where the ususal prescription was granite and sand

This once, it is said, as they rose from their beds

came a blizzard the likes of which mortal men dread

so they looked to each other, these Men Without Fear

said, “Well, I ain’t admittin’ that I stayed up here”

So heroic resolve, pitons and grit

a monstrous breakfast (and last nervous s—)

found the Intrepids atop a white trail

seen through the howlingest godawful gale

and descending as angels might, told of in Scriptures

while pausing, of course, for some “look at me” pictures

Now though time has embellished, as is surely the case

one magical moment at one certain place

it’s clear that the storm did surrender that day

‘ere the sun drew a masterpiece

blew them away

A feast fit for kings, they enjoyed by and by

seated on thrones carved by Time and on high

o’er the green Colorado, silent and cold

like those ham and cheese sandwiches, several days old

Soon again they were trekking, and tasting the marrow

of Life on a trail both demanding and narrow

with ledges and edges to tighten the throat

and encountering one obstinate old south-facing goat

Friends, rarely indeed has this world ever known

the likes of these wanderers, a’limp and a’groan

as they entered, with odors to make buzzards blanche

the Spartan surrounding of famed Phantom Ranch

where the lodging and fare were to test their true mettle

what with only two kinds of wine in the kettle

no salad forks, spots on the glasses of tea

and the helpings of cornbread (gasp) rationed to three

Not to mention the fact that the room had no cable

no mints on the pillows, no mums on the table

but then how would this tale read if not for the fact

that our heroes with naught but a whimper unpacked

and faced down the challenge this wilderness carried

saying, “how tough could this be,

after all, we’re both married”

(ahem)

So they rather than cower against the cold night

ventured forth on a trail that faded from sight

in a black veil of mystical starlight so magic

that to somehow blaspheme it with chat would be tragic

So hard by a murmuring, burbling brook

relaxing on stones prone positions they took

and claiming the privilege of free psychic wandering

engaged in some pretty deep Big Question pondering

And once sleep took the night, both knew well what that meant

as the ‘morrow would bring on the dreaded ... Ascent

A climb to which only the willful aspire

that men choose to brave once in life, then retire

to the ranks of the mule riders, wise to the core

not nearly so tired, though aft-bruised and sore

Our champions, with steel in their eyes and no fear

began their ascent with a burp and a cheer

and put right front of left with a rhythm so firm

that the breakfast still new to their insides did squirm

Stopping only when Nature asserted her call

to add irrigation to the high desert pall

they drove up, up and on, heavy legs did they lift

over and over, and ... well, you get the drift

There came a short break for the slaking of hunger

but knowing that they nor the day would grow younger

they pressed up the sides of some gorges so steep

that the bulk of their comments The Censor did bleep

So suffice it to say that that day it was clear

that those long wasted years of salchichas and beer

had borne a false witness inside one guys’ mind

and planted lead weights in said fellows’ behind

Yet as day turns to month turns to year without fail

unrelenting they strode, and soon crested the trail

to gaze down at the marvel from whence they’d just come

drank it humbly in, and were stricken quite dumb

by the rich textured memory newly spun in their minds

and sewn in the fabric of the rest of their lives

‘Twas the stuff of True Legend

say those few who did see ‘em

for they honored that great human call ...

Carpe Diem

– Mark Steven, 1994

Ohh ...

I believe it's at the South Rim Entrance .... but anyway, there's a National Geographic place. I'd recommend stopping by there. You can see an IMAX film on the Grand Canyon which is pretty cool, and they give you maps and all kinds of stuff. There's also a store, a little cafeteria and clean bathrooms.

I think that I paid $15 for the movie ... it was worth it in my opinion. Anything IMAX rules.

Cause those things walk the edge of the trails going down into the canyon .... There's a lot of horror stories or people being too scared to actually enjoy their rides down.

Bingo.

Got to where as we'd pass another mule train, we'd end up laughing our asses off (discretely of course) at the terrified, ashen looks of the poor people wishing they could get their asses the hell off their asses. :)

I went to South Rim 2 years ago. Stayed at El Tovar which is right on the Rim. GREAT hotel. Didn't really do hiking, but took a Sunset Rim tour which was nice. Everyone there made sure to emphisize on bringing water when hiking. Here are the pics I wook while there

http://photos.torresa.com/main.php?g2_itemId=22043

http://photos.torresa.com/main.php?g2_itemId=23287

I made the drive from vegas to the north rim a couple years ago. I cant compare it to the south rim, but I can tell you we were practically the only people there. No crowds at all....which just makes it that much better. The drive there took us through zion national park as well. Zion is cool and all, but after you see the grand canyon....you wont even remember going. The grand canyon was the most amazing, spectacular thing I have ever seen in my life. Breathtaking. I felt like I could sit down and stare out for hours and hours and never get tired of looking at it.

These responses are great. Thanks to all.

I was able to get some nights inside the park. El Tovar and everything else was booked up, but I was able to get 4 nights at Yavapai lodge.

Phantom Ranch was booked up as well...hey I was lucky to get something at the Rim.

Really would have enjoyed hiking down and staying in Phantom Ranch.

I'm thinking of maybe hiking down to Havasu falls instead and staying there if possible. Anyone ever done that? Just to the west in the Havasupai Reservation. My only fear is that it is possibly crowded with camper people, (no offense to people who car camp. I do it myself).

Anyway, anyone ever gone here?

Archived