Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Team Needs (Fanball.com)

Portis4President

Didn't see this posted, and I thought you all would be interested in reading it. With all the freaking out, it's nice to see all our problems nicelely laid out into a few hundred words. An exerpt:

Areas of Need: Heading into this past season, the NFL record for fewest take-aways in a 16-game season was 15. The Redskins finished with six interceptions and six fumble recoveries in 2006, setting a new mark. The previous franchise low for picks was 11, established in the nine-game 1982 campaign. The previous franchise low for sacks was 25, set in 2001. The Redskins finished with 19. This defense also allowed 5,688 total yards, which is was less than four first-downs short of the franchise record (5,723).

So, yeah, let's start with the defense. The secondary endured a miserable season, and there is talk of moving Shawn Springs to safety. Regardless of where Springs lines up, the Redskins will almost certainly focus their free agent work in the defensive backfield. Sean Taylor was repeatedly exposed this season, and their cornerbacks were awful. They need to pray that Carlos Rogers gets better this offseason. It would also be nice to figure out a role for Adam Archuleta, who barely played over the final nine games. He's making too much money to be a special teams guy.

The whole article is here

The entire article was a very good read. I think that guy did his homework and understands our needs pretty well.

And for those who think we are set at WR, think again. The writer is correct when he says we don't have a number 2 WR. Lloyd was supposed to be that guy, but he clearly isn't. As much as I like ARE, he's not a two either. You can say all you want about how great they are, but just look at their production. I think it's time to start evaluating our players on their performance and not by how much we like them. It wouldn't shock me if we take a WR in the first round (not saying I think we should, but it wouldn't shock me).

I found these paragraphs from the article very interesting:

"On offense, the Redskins have two main things to fix. First, Joe Gibbs and Al Saunders need to work out whatever issues they have and install a more clear-cut plan of attack. Second, the Redskins still need wide receiver help. The Brandon Lloyd move was a disaster, Antwaan Randle El is not a number two wideout, David Patten barely played in 2006, and James Thrash is not the answer. Personnel-wise, one could argue that the rest of the starting offense is in good shape.

Help is on the Way? Ever since Daniel Snyder took control of the franchise, the Redskins have been very active in the free agent and trade markets – often shunning draft picks in favor of veteran acquisitions. Will they do the same this offseason? Why break precedent?

Bills cornerback Nate Clements and linebacker London Fletcher-Baker are both unrestricted free agents and both served under Williams in Buffalo. Bears linebacker Lance Briggs will also be on the market, and he formerly worked for Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache. The rumors will begin there. Why not aim high, right? The Redskins could also go after a defensive end like Justin Smith, and the fans will undoubtedly call for Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel."

I found it hard to disagree with anything he says.

Hail,

H

Our defense is the obvious glaring weakness, and yet we're still hearing we are probably considering a WR with our #6 pick, that's just insanity to me.

Two new starters on d-line, 1 of them being the #6 pick is what we need here, and I'll be shocked if that doesn't happen. Big Joe hasn't seemed the same after his injury, and as well as Golston filled in, I just don't see him being the dominant DT that we need right now. Ideally for me, we draft Branch and sign a free agent DE. I've found different lists of free agent DEs and if correct, Leonard Little, Bryan Thomas, or Justin Smith would be a great upgrade with P.Daniels and Evans providing quality depth.

London would be a good sign to me, allowing Marshall to move over while grooming Rocky to take over slowly. Rocky's shown some flashes of being an impact player, however I truly believe the reason he wasn't cracking the lineup is because he just wasn't grasping where he needed to be consistently, not because of GW's ego like some think.

Pierson should help solidify safety for us most likely coming in on some 3rd downs, and it may help to bring back a veteran presence like Vincent to help ST if it's cap possibly after filling all our greater needs first. I'm not sure on moving Springs to safety, he could be a good answer for the coverage safety we desparately need, I just wonder if he'd be comfortable in the safety spot. AA reminds me of Matt Bowen, only with a much fatter wallet. I actually think he'd be OK if we got consistent pressure, and could play a vital role in helping create that pressure. You can't expect him to cover anyone for an extended amount of time, and the same goes for the rest of our dbs. I think the backfield will benefit greatly from a much improved line and lb play, although I'd like to see us sign a nickel cb with starting potential in case Rogers or Springs is out, which we know is highly possible.

Clements and Samuel are great CBs, and I wouldn't be at all upset if we signed either one of them, I just don't think we need to break the bank once again on the prized free agents this offseason. This always seems to cause more harm than good, and places high expectations that at this point, are not warranted with how badly our D played last year.

This is an uphill battle, there are no quick fixes, some smart moves solidifying the line, and adding a tackle machine like Fletcher will be a great starting point to get our D back to where they were before. Solid team tackling with everyone on the same page will get some swagger back for this D, and hopefully we can get back to dialing up some blitzes where we actually get to the QB and cause some TOs.

We can only afford 1, one, uno, un high priced FA this year. Especially if we stay at #6, because we are going to need to shell out money to:

#6 pick

Dockery

1 FA

I'd be fine with a FA CB and #6 draft DL, any other FA's would need to be role player types. I like a secondary of

Taylor

Rogers

Springs

FA

Nickle: Bring on a SS and move Springs to CB - Preliou, Fox, or Arch (if our coaches can work on technique and get him to be at least average in coverage - his tackling is still really good for a safety)

And for those who think we are set at WR, think again. The writer is correct when he says we don't have a number 2 WR. Lloyd was supposed to be that guy, but he clearly isn't. As much as I like ARE, he's not a two either. You can say all you want about how great they are, but just look at their production. I think it's time to start evaluating our players on their performance and not by how much we like them. It wouldn't shock me if we take a WR in the first round (not saying I think we should, but it wouldn't shock me).

It certainly would shock me. We know where the team needs the most help, and it isn't on the offense.

Personally, all you need to look at is the lack of production at the QB position to tell me that we can't accurately evaluate our WRs. Fact is, Brunell had a lot of problems, and Campbell often struggled, even late when he had a lot of protection from the O-Line. Not to mention that he was still getting familiar with his receivers.

Give him a full offseason with these guys first before making calls that we need more help there.

Jason

The entire article was a very good read. I think that guy did his homework and understands our needs pretty well.

While I think WR would be silly with the #6 pick if it were CJohnson I would at least understand. But Jarrett or Ginn Jr should not be even considered there.

The Redskins own the sixth overall pick in April's draft and then do not choose again until the fifth round. Popular choices for that sixth selection are Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch, Arkansas defensive end Jamaal Anderson, and Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams. The Redskins may also consider a wide receiver at that spot, with USC's Dwayne Jarrett and Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. being likely options.

If they go WR, I will beat my head against a wall into unconciousness.

If Anderson, Adams (who I am not sold on, yet) or Branch are not there (and I think one of thems should be)..then drop WAY down, get Carriker or Willis and some more picks.

I agree with the article as well but he doesn't take Cooley into account as a receiver. I think he could be used more like Tony Gonzo in Saunders offense, putting up number 2 receiver type numbers. As someone else mentioned, Brunell didn't really spread it around and I think that has a lot to do with our offensive production as well. Lloyd isn't going anywhere and I would be livid if we took a WR. I also think Mike Espy might have a larger role to play if he steps up the way he did last pre-season.

If they go WR, I will beat my head against a wall into unconciousness.

If Anderson, Adams (who I am not sold on, yet) or Branch are not there (and I think one of thems should be)..then drop WAY down, get Carriker or Willis and some more picks.

Agreed. We got Golston in the 6th round last year. Doesn't happen often but (we also got McCune late) I'd think I'd rather take my chances and trade down for more picks.

It certainly would shock me. We know where the team needs the most help, and it isn't on the offense.

Personally, all you need to look at is the lack of production at the QB position to tell me that we can't accurately evaluate our WRs. Fact is, Brunell had a lot of problems, and Campbell often struggled, even late when he had a lot of protection from the O-Line. Not to mention that he was still getting familiar with his receivers.

Give him a full offseason with these guys first before making calls that we need more help there.

Jason

Totally agree, I think there will be much more production on their end this year, as there will be much better QB play.

Unless the Redskins can address the defense's problems across 9 of the 11 defensive positions, we won't stand a chance in 2007 either. I predict a playoff berth for the skins by 2010. That's if we get a GM who knows how to rebuild this defense. Our offense is fine, and how gotten better with each game under Jason Campbell.

Wow...9 of 11 positions. We actaully need upgrades at CB, DE, DT, and SS. 4 positions. You could argue that we need an LB as well but with a huge run stuffing DT, Marshall should be back to his form in 2005. 2006 was a bad year for our team, but we were in the top 10 in defense with basically the same players you want to scrap...i'm sure all 9 of those players played on that great defensive team.

I say if we get Clements and Sands in FA, and then draft Anderson with the 6th pick we are easily on our way to the postseason.

Originally Posted by Playoffsorbust2005

Unless the Redskins can address the defense's problems across 9 of the 11 defensive positions, we won't stand a chance in 2007 either. I predict a playoff berth for the skins by 2010. That's if we get a GM who knows how to rebuild this defense. Our offense is fine, and how gotten better with each game under Jason Campbell.

uhm........9/11?????? obviously you dont understand the philosophy of football. IF you havent noticed, we had 19 sacks last season......19. meaning, no pass rush. no pass rush make the jobs of our entire defense that much harder. Sean Taylor broke 100+ tackles, and when u have your safety breaking 100+ tackles, tht means your front 4 arent doing ****. u pass rush, u win games, u make CBs and LBs look good. Football 101.

so whats the phrase of the day? PASS RUSH.

a non oft injured CB and a trade back for RYAN CLARK would be nice. :silly:

Archived