Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After seeing the all playoff teams how far do you think we are to a Super Bowl run??

CounterTrey

Address the defense in free agency? Yeah that's worked real well in the past. The defense needs young talent not aging "vets" who are looking for a payday.

I don't think that anyone plays in Gregg Williams' offense considering that he coaches the DEFENSE.

Moss as the #2 and a rookie WR as the #1? Yeah that makes sense :doh:. Also, this is 2007 not 1987, so stop living in the past. There is no Gary Clark, Art Monk, or Ricky Sanders on the Redskins anymore. Let it go.

Really? Colts rushing yards vs Patriots - 125 yards. Seems as though they ran the ball pretty well to me, especially considering the Patriots only ran for 93 yards against them. Colts passing yards vs Patriots - 349... compared to 232 yards for the Patriots. And let's not forget the game-clinching interception by the Colts secondary. Yeah the Colts defense was awful :doh:.

Glad to see you are continuing to grace this message board with your ignorant and incorrect posts dude.

Smile man. Life is good

being balanced on both sides of the ball doesnt seem to cut it anymore.

The Colts have an explosive offense and the Bears, an explosive Defense.

Yet again, the almost 4-time super bowl patriots are rediculously balanced so IDK!

I think of it this way..it's not balance but the overall team grade that matters. Bears.. Grade A defense, Grade C minus offense. Colts.. Grade A offense, Grade C defense..small edge to the Colts.

The Patriots have less overall talent than either team, particularly at the WR positions. Belichek's coaching strategy keeps them competitive. I figure Belichek was worth 7-10 points in the game against the Colts, but it wasn't enough.

The talk about CJ is insane.

Colston was a 7th round freak that produced as a rookie WR, all other WR's usually struggle pretty badly their rookie season. So as far as making an immediate impact with the team, I think you can discount that.

Also, CJ will not be there at 6, so in a time when the Skins need as much trade value and depth as they can get....trading up to get him would hurt us overall.

We could go from 5-11 to 11-5, but that will depend on a lot of the guys we already have like Campbell's development and Portis' return. But of course, the biggy is defense...got to get younger at DL and LB on that side of the ball.

Be prepared for Campbell to do very well and then have those big steps back as well in 2007 - Life with a young QB.

The D is very broken and anyone who thinks it will be fixed overnight is in for a suprise. The Skins keep spending every year on D linemen, Carter, Daniels, Griffin and they all turn out to be average guys. The LB Corps are moderate at best - one good LB In Washington and average to below average for the rest - and we have a part time #1 CB (springs is injured too much) an unreliable #2 and a weak safety in Taylor.

The Skins are nowhere near any of the teams in the playoffs and it will be at least a year or two more before they can be.

Every team that gets to the playoffs and, especially the Super Bowl, needs a certain amount of luck. While we were pretty unlucky this year, the fact is we seldom clicked on both offense and defense in the same game. Special teams was about the only consistant piece of the puzzle this season.

The defense was, in a word, horrible. Whether it was the D-Line, linebackers or secondary, one piece always seemed to play poorly or they simply weren't on the same page. Part of the problem appeared to be coaching but the bottom line was the players didn't make plays. They were out of position, missed tackles or dropped interceptions. While I'm sure injuries and new additions to the team played a part, good defenses find a way to overcome that.

Offensively we were VERY inconsistant. Al Saunders couldn't get a feel for what these players could do well and they, in turn, couldn't get a real good feel for the offense. Losing Portis caused problems early on and trading for Duckett was a mistake, not because he can't play but because we didn't use him and didn't really need him. Brunell was terribly inconsistant. As we found once again, a Brunell that is not 100% healthy is a BAD Brunell.

Certain things will take care of themselves going into next season, like another season in the same offense and another season of experience for Jason Campbell. Andre Carter got off to a slow start because of an unfamilar scheme but came on at the end. Injuries will heal. This team was NOT deserving of a 5-11 record and with a break or three could have been a playoff contender. They are NOT, however, a team that can get deep into the playoffs without some major changes.

We desparately need a pass rush, much better play from the linebacking corps and a safety opposite Sean Taylor. Offensively, we need to turn FG's into TD's and find ways to generate big plays like we did last year. We also need to eliminate the number of three-and-outs we had this past season. Accomplish all of this and the likelihood of getting to the Super Bowl GREATLY increases. Now, about that luck.....

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

If we address our pass rush heavily this offseason we can be right up there with the best in the NFC. This will allow Taylor to change games as Ed Reed does and give our offense the ball on short fields. Campbell on a short field can be scary with the threat of the run.

A guy like Jamaal Anderson that can sack the QB for a 10 yard loss or force a bad pass into the hands of Taylor will be huge. Way too many teams drove the length of the field this year.

Like your response. one thought though...Boomer Eisensen was discussing Grossman yesterday on ESPN radio and happended to mention that the hardest passrush for QBs to deal with is up the middle. not sure how that compares to a pass rush on the QB's blind side...but it does make one reconsider the DT versus DE net value argument...

We are VERY far off unfortunately. Here we are entering Gibbs's fourth year now and this team still doesn't have an identity. We don't have a way of doing things. Simply put, we are a mess.

When you think of Indy, what do you think? High flying, precision, slants all day long.

When you think of the Bears, what do you think? Tough, determined, win sloppy but win, strong defense, just enough offense. Tenacious.

The Patriots and Saints also have strong identities.

When you think of the Redskins, what do you think? Turmoil, overpaid, losers, excuses, and a lot of ifs and buts. Are we a running team? Passing team? What do we do well on defense? Standout on special teams??

Sucessful teams find something they do that's as good as or better than anyone else and can do it consistently. It defines who they are.

Every year we won the SB, we had an identity. We always could count on something or someone (Riggins, Joey T, Moseley, Doug Williams, defense, Rypien, Monk, Sanders, Clark, goal line offense, 50/40 Gut, Counter trey, Lohmiller, etc). We don't have it on this team yet and I don't see it happening out of the blue next year either. It needs to be developed, but it can't be developed when you overhaul coaches and players every year.

Hail,

H

When you think of Indy, what do you think? High flying, precision, slants all day long.

When you think of the Bears, what do you think? Tough, determined, win sloppy but win, strong defense, just enough offense. Tenacious.

The Patriots and Saints also have strong identities.

When I think of the Saints, I think of a team that was in MUCH worse shape a year ago than we are today. Also, the Bears have been good for a grand total of 2 seasons now.

Things change rapidly in the NFL. If the Colts (no run D) and the Bears (no QB and erratic D) can go to a Super Bowl, then it should give every other NFL team some hope!

When I think of the Saints, I think of a team that was in MUCH worse shape a year ago than we are today. Also, the Bears have been good for a grand total of 2 seasons now.

Things change rapidly in the NFL. If the Colts (no run D) and the Bears (no QB and erratic D) can go to a Super Bowl, then it should give every other NFL team some hope!

Yeah, I see your point regarding the Saints, but there were extenuating circumstances with them too. They also made some very good decisions that paid off immediately, like Brees, Bush, and Sean Payton.

But the point is these teams do things as well or better on a consistent basis than other teams. Other than the Saints who were a road team all last year and even played a home game against the Giants in Giants Stadium, you could see the other teams building to where they are now.

The Saints may very well have been building something, but you never would have known it with all the other stuff they dealt with.

If we can get Brees, Bush, and Sean Payton, I might feel better about our chances for turning it around so quickly!:)

Hail,

H

Our passing game is just not explosive enough other than Moss.

The runnin game is very explosive.

I say get Calvin Johnson and get that side of the ball like the Colts. And adress defense in free agency, We will need vets on the defensive side anyways.

I think our defence is actually VERY OLD. It needs to get younger.

Rookies do not play in Greg Williams offense.
Say hello to Mr. Golston and Mr. Taylor.
Then you got Number 1 wide out CJ. Then Moss finally can become that second WR who goes deep and catches ball in the middle like a Gary Clark.
Why cant Moss do that now?
CJ is the only guy isee that can add 4 wins to our total by himself. No team could stop CJ and Moss.

4 games by himself... Sorry, but CJ wont have the kind of impact if he came here. Maybe 1-2 games. Maybe 0. Because, you see, our offence isnt bad. Our defence is. It should be better next year without doing anything due to Jason having a 2nd year in the system, and actually getting to work with the starters for a change. Actually, that will make more of a difference than CJ.

Like your response. one thought though...Boomer Eisensen was discussing Grossman yesterday on ESPN radio and happended to mention that the hardest passrush for QBs to deal with is up the middle. not sure how that compares to a pass rush on the QB's blind side...but it does make one reconsider the DT versus DE net value argument...

Kinda. On teams that do have DE's that can cause problems, DT that can get a push dont allow the QB to step up, and away from a rush. If you dont have the ends causeing problems though, a DT rush isnt too hard on most qb's. It is abit more unexpected, however, since teams usually block from the middle out. Having a DT that can would be a big help for us though.

Yeah, I see your point regarding the Saints, but there were extenuating circumstances with them too. They also made some very good decisions that paid off immediately, like Brees, Bush, and Sean Payton.

But the point is these teams do things as well or better on a consistent basis than other teams. Other than the Saints who were a road team all last year and even played a home game against the Giants in Giants Stadium, you could see the other teams building to where they are now.

The Saints may very well have been building something, but you never would have known it with all the other stuff they dealt with.

If we can get Brees, Bush, and Sean Payton, I might feel better about our chances for turning it around so quickly!:)

Hail,

H

Good points about the Saints.

My point is that basically one year has to be your first good year when you begin to string it together. Sometimes, that first year is enough to get you deep in the playoffs (1999 Rams, 2001 Pats, 2006 Saints) and sometimes it's just the beginning (like with Indy who has been good for a long time before getting to the dance).

The point is, next year could very well be our year since we'll be keeping a lot of the main cast from this year and hopefully stengthening some weaknesses. We'll see though.

I think things can turn around very quickly in the NFL, evidenced by the Saints and Ravens this year. Bad teams that became really good seemingly overnight. And the NFC is weak so we have a good shot at getting in without being elite. I think offense will be good to go next season assuming everything doesn't fall apart like the defense did this year. And we add some good new guys to the defensive side of the ball, get everyone healthy so Sean Taylor doesn't have to cover the entire field by himself, and we should be good to go.

I am very excited about our offense, so I just hope we can get this mess of a defense straightened out. Which I think will happen. Our offense needed work after 2005, we did a good job fixing it I think (minus replacing Brunell with Campbell at the beginning of the year), now its our defenses turn, and I think we will do a good job with that too, so hears hoping!

Archived