Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After seeing the all playoff teams how far do you think we are to a Super Bowl run??

CounterTrey

Hey guys,

This year was a good year for playoff games, alas it also sucked cause the skins didn't get in. My question to you is how far after seeing what kind of a team it takes to get to get to a Superbowl, do you think we are from one.

In terms of defence, we are quite far off in my opinion. Our LB's and secondary need major upgrades and our D'line need at least a new LDE and another tackle.

On Offense, we have Moss and good running abcks. Our O line played really good this year in my opinion and hopefully Campbell will improve next year but I still believe it will be touch next year for us to make any major impact even if we reach the playoffs.

I am intrested to hear your opions on this matter.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

If we address our pass rush heavily this offseason we can be right up there with the best in the NFC. This will allow Taylor to change games as Ed Reed does and give our offense the ball on short fields. Campbell on a short field can be scary with the threat of the run.

A guy like Jamaal Anderson that can sack the QB for a 10 yard loss or force a bad pass into the hands of Taylor will be huge. Way too many teams drove the length of the field this year.

It makes want to get Calvin Johnson. You can not really stop these teams on defense.

But you HAVE TO SCORE 24 at least to win games. We still do have a big WR

Ding!

For all the whining about the defense, for once having a consistent offense will be the key for the Skins success.

It depends on how we re-tool the defense

I think the combo of Portis/Betts along with JC playing minimizng mistakes is enough O in a weak NFC

If the defense can get pressure from the d-line next year and return to 2004-2005 form, we are very close. Closer then you would think

It is the NFL. Look at the Saints and how quickly they turned it around

It depends on how we re-tool the defense

I think the combo of Portis/Betts along with JC playing minimizng mistakes is enough O in a weak NFC

If the defense can get pressure from the d-line next year and return to 2004-2005 form, we are very close. Closer then you would think

It is the NFL. Look at the Saints and how quickly they turned it around

I still think we are way too predictable in the passing game. The Saints had the best playcalling I've seen in a long time. Very innovative. We need to be alot more explosive in our playcalling for me to be totally comfortable. Even the Bears spread it out today. Turnovers and some more explosiveness out of the offense would go a looong way I think.

Our passing game is just not explosive enough other than Moss.

The runnin game is very explosive.

I say get Calvin Johnson and get that side of the ball like the Colts. And adress defense in free agency, We will need vets on the defensive side anyways.

Rookies do not play in Greg Williams offense.

Then you got Number 1 wide out CJ. Then Moss finally can become that second WR who goes deep and catches ball in the middle like a Gary Clark.

Randel El is the Ricky Sandders type WR.

CJ is the only guy isee that can add 4 wins to our total by himself. No team could stop CJ and Moss.

We aren't far from a playoff team, only the Lions are really far off from that in NFC. But the playoffs don't mean a dam thing to me. I don't root for the Redskins to see them win playoff games. I root for them to win the Super Bowl. That is the Redskins culture I grew up in and that is what I have been lead to expect by the leaders of this franchise. From that, we are a million miles away.

these playoffs showed me what we've known all along:

running the football and playing great defense = winning football

so that means we're half way there

Not at all. The teams that won scored with verticle passing. The Colts did not run well. The defense was not good today.

The Bears defene was good today .But they scored points thru deep passes.

Ding!

For all the whining about the defense, for once having a consistent offense will be the key for the Skins success.

I agree with you, we are not as set on offense as some people here seems to think. Besides the running back position I do not see any part of our offense that I can be totally confident with. Campbell MAY be the answer at QB BUT he is still unproven, I THINK that he will be OK but he has not played in enough games for me to be able say that he is definitely the answer. Because Campbell is young we are going to have to get him in better passing situations and that has to include getting him a bigger receiving target. That "everybody go long" approach is going to get him sent right back to the bench... quickly. As far as our O-line is concerned ,again, I THINK that it will be OK BUT players there are getting some age on them. They played great at the end of the year but who's to say what line is going to show up next year? They played as bad at the beginning of the year as they played good at the end. So yeah, we are not "SET" on offense at all.

We DEFINITELY need help on "D'', that is a given, BUT I would not ignore our offensive needs either.

Not at all. The teams that won scored with verticle passing. The Colts did not run well. The defense was not good today.

oh yea

1-10-CHI31(5:51) T.Jones left guard to CHI 45 for 14 yards (J.Bellamy).

1-10-CHI45(5:20) T.Jones right tackle to CHI 47 for 2 yards (M.Simoneau).

2-8-CHI47(4:46) T.Jones right tackle to NO 20 for 33 yards (M.McKenzie). FUMBLES (M.McKenzie), ball out of bounds at NO 20.

1-10-NO20(4:14) T.Jones right tackle to NO 13 for 7 yards (J.Bullocks).

2-3-NO13(3:38) T.Jones right guard to NO 11 for 2 yards (S.Fujita, B.Young).

3-1-NO11(3:03) T.Jones right tackle to NO 9 for 2 yards (S.Fujita, H.Thomas).

1-9-NO9(2:21) T.Jones right guard to NO 2 for 7 yards (J.Bellamy).

2-2-NO2(2:00) T.Jones right tackle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1-10-NO26(13:41) C.Benson left end to NO 32 for -6 yards (H.Thomas).

PENALTY on NO-B.Young, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at NO 26 - No Play.

1-5-NO21(13:38) C.Benson right guard to NO 17 for 4 yards (M.Simoneau).

2-1-NO17(12:57) C.Benson left tackle to NO 15 for 2 yards (S.Fujita).

1-10-NO15(12:25) R.Grossman pass short right to J.McKie to NO 12 for 3 yards (S.Fujita).

2-7-NO12(11:43) C.Benson left guard for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

The only points the bears scored on "deep passes" were six on that wild catch by berrian. Those 2 ENTIRE drives had a total of 1 pass...a short pass at that

A long way off.

Turnovers and sacks are a huge part of a succesful season. The Skins D this past year were the worst here...ever.....No sacks, no turnovers=no wins. 12 total takeaways for the season is a historical league low, by contrast no other team except the Saints had less than 20. A total of 19 sacks puts the Skins in dead last this past season with no other teams getting fewer than 25 sacks.

The Skins pass coverage made a rookie project QB, Vince Young, look like a 5 year vet.

Defense Ranked 31st overall

The O couldn't run against the Colts(ranked 32nd against the run) and couldn't pass against the Falcons(ranked 28th against the pass, the Skins didn't play anyone worse against the pass) respectively some of the worst teams in those catagories.

The upside is that the Skins ranked 4th in rushing offense, but here's the catch with that...All of those dink/dink passes by Brunell that were caught behind the LOS count as a run. I haven't tracked down the actual running #'s.

Also on the upside is that the Skins O had only the 2nd least giveaways at 17, but... still managed to finish the year at -5 net.

The Skins were ranked 26th in FG percentage made at 73.3%. What's worse...none of the attempts were blocked. Only 1 team with no blocked FG attempts had a lower percentage, the Raiders...great company to keep.

The Skins were ranked 30th in kickoffs with 60.5 yds avg and a league low of 1 touchback. Field position is actually fairly important...

Don't get me wrong...I love the Skins, I am pulling for them the whole way... but if you are asking how far off from the playoffs they are... a very long way

Some good things...

The Skins are squarely in the middle of the pack on kickoff and punt returns. Rock does a good job and even broke one for a TD, most teams did not have a single kickoff returned for a TD and the Bears needed a freak like Devin Hester just to get to 2. ARE does a good job with PRs and also broke one for a TD. Most teams have zero PRs for a TD and again, the Bears needed a freak like Devin Hester just to get to 3.

I just think that the Saints have shown that you are never too far from a playoff run in the NFL. With so much parity, especially in the NFC, they showed that a 3-13 team, can become the #2 seed in the NFC the next season.

The Skins do have a lot of things to improve on/fix before next season. But is there hope? I think the Saints showed that this season.

Agreed about the Saints...but what do you think the odds are of the Skins changing to a proven all pro QB, getting a new head coach, and drafting a "once a decade" playmaker during this offseason?

But hey.. I am optomistic, they could not do worse than this year, I'm fairly excited about seeing them back in the playoff picture. I think Suisham could be the guy and withe the #6 pick the D line has to get better, couple that with with hwy57 being an UFA and the rest of the D gets better. The O if almost there.

I say get Calvin Johnson and get that side of the ball like the Colts. And adress defense in free agency, We will need vets on the defensive side anyways.

Address the defense in free agency? Yeah that's worked real well in the past. The defense needs young talent not aging "vets" who are looking for a payday.

Rookies do not play in Greg Williams offense.

I don't think that anyone plays in Gregg Williams' offense considering that he coaches the DEFENSE.

Then you got Number 1 wide out CJ. Then Moss finally can become that second WR who goes deep and catches ball in the middle like a Gary Clark.

Randel El is the Ricky Sandders type WR.

Moss as the #2 and a rookie WR as the #1? Yeah that makes sense :doh:. Also, this is 2007 not 1987, so stop living in the past. There is no Gary Clark, Art Monk, or Ricky Sanders on the Redskins anymore. Let it go.

Really? Colts rushing yards vs Patriots - 125 yards. Seems as though they ran the ball pretty well to me, especially considering the Patriots only ran for 93 yards against them. Colts passing yards vs Patriots - 349... compared to 232 yards for the Patriots. And let's not forget the game-clinching interception by the Colts secondary. Yeah the Colts defense was awful :doh:.

Glad to see you are continuing to grace this message board with your ignorant and incorrect posts dude.

On one hand we were several close games away to being in the playoffs, on the other we were several close games to being down and out with Detroit and Oakland. But provided we keep what we have on offense, work on the defense, and stay healthy I think the playoffs are a possibility and anything can happen.

This is my view on the Skins future......

Yes I have no view. I'm tired of getting my hopes up. As a younger fan success is but a fading, distant memory. I'm tired of being burned by high expectations. I'm going to continue to support them week in and week out but I'm just going to take things as they come.

We are pretty far. Just look at the offense that these teams are running, and compare them to our antiquated and conservative approach. Not to mention the in-game adjustments, game management, and 4th down decisionmaking that Gibbs has consistently failed to deliver on in his second era. We would get eaten alive by most of these teams. On top of all that, our defense doesn't even resemble anything championship worthy. Unfortunately, it really did in 2004 and 2005.

The MOST important part of making a SB run is getting to the playoffs. In fact, just stumbling into the playoffs because your main competitors have an off year has at times been just enough. 7 of the 12 teams that went to the playoffs did not go last year and 3 lost 10 or more games in 2005. 4 had missed the playoffs for multiple years and one had not gone since 2000. Given the fact that our defense was good on the rare occasions that everyone was relatively healthy and that it appears our offense is on the upswing, add some depth and we have a chance. If our competitors stumble and/or we find the right one or two new guys, we have great chance.

Archived