Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SEAN TAYLOR and ED REED!

RedskinWill

Guys after watching the Ravens vs. Colts game and seeing Ed Reed make play after play, I think he finished the game with 2 int's. I couldn't help but to think why Sean Taylor hasn't made those same plays for us. This is not the same Sean Taylor that played at the University of Miami. I'm a big Canes fan and when Sean Taylor played at the U this kid was a ballhawk. His last season in college he had 10 int's! What do you guys think is the problem? This is not the Sean Taylor that I envisioned when we drafted him. Do you guys think it's the coaches or the defense that we run? :(

it seems like sean taylor is more of a run stopper than a coverage guy now. he has now been known for his big hits... he still has the ability to make the plays like reed but he seems to get beat on simple plays. it may just be me but i have been noticing over the last couple of years the change in his physique. he has almost the size of a linebacker and the agility of one too. he gets beat deep on a simple cut of the wide out. maybe if he works on his speed a little he could make more plays like reed but now he just seems to get bigger and bigger instead of faster and more agile. anyone agree or see what i mean

:eaglesuck

Ravens have a D-line that puts heat on the QB(60 sacks).That will make alot of DBs look great.We have a horrible D-line(19 sacks), how could anyone make many plays when the QB has all day to wait for his WRs to get open?

I agree. When a QB has all day to throw, it causes problems for the secondary. ST didnt change that much, however, his suporting cast did.

I really don't think his speed is the problem, he's always compensating for the ****heads around him.

It's true though, that he should be played closer to the line most of the time but, he's still young, and it was a bad year for everyone. Cooley is one of the few players I've heard publicly say, "I hate the Cowboys." ST doesn't speak wif the media but the plays he made in both Cowboy games were clutch, He destroyed T.O., over and over, broke his hand then he puts us in range for that FG in round two.

I also really enjoyed the strip of Barber in the first Giants game. We need more defensive playmakers if we can't get Anderson, Gaines may be a blessing every clemson game I've seen this season he makes three or four huge plays.

If we had a pass rush that was worth a damn, Sean Taylor would be making similar plays. QBs don't make mistakes when they have all day to throw the ball.

He did have an off year, but so did the entire defense.

I think the main difference between Ed Reed and Sean Taylor that Ed Reed is a student of the game. Constantly studies film... and I don't think Taylor has that down.

How about the lack of big mobile athletic young players who are probowl level to compliment him that have been together with him for several years who can pressure the QB and stuff the run??

What he said.

Taylor had little help in the secondary this year. The fact that our line could not generate much of a pass rush didnt help either.

:logo:

If ST wasnt forced to play everyone elses position to compensate for players he would have played better.

I wish this offseason Gregg Williams would look at how ST was used at the U, and how teams like the Ravens are using Reed. Change his position back to SS which I am pretty sure he used to play and let him play the ball. This team has seemed for too long like it just wants to get great players and make them do what we want them to do rather than get great players and let them do whatever it is they do best.

The relative talent level around him at Miami was higher than it is now, correct?

I guess you could say that.If thats what you are trying to say then i agree with you.With that being said it doesn't mean we cant put other talent around ST.

I do think its coaching, our scheme (repeat...scheme) on defense has been a complete 180 compared to 04

i dont know what made GW change the system, but this used to be the defensive system that made nobodies look like superstars...ST has hall of fame talent, he needs the line to get pressure, a front 7 that can at least slow down the ball carrier...and experience

Gregg Williams is not doing his job (obviously)

I honestly dont believe that we need new players on D (except for holdman of course) the responsibilities in the secondary have changed...The plays are no longer happening in front of Sean so he can react and use his athleticism. I believe thats due to his responsibilities that he must make tackles in the run game around the line of scrimmage, not to mention he was making up for everyone in the secondary because the TIMING was not disrupted and our corners were playing over top of the receivers!

The front 4 are rarely cut loose, instead theyre too busy trying stunts.

We need...

the front 4 to be let free to rush the passer

Blitz...blitz....blitz...see the Ravens?? yeah! blitz! ( i know they just lost but they held the Colts to zero TD's)

The backers and secondary crowding the line...moving around, faking blitz (like 04) so the offense is then forced to adjust to them, not the other way around

Our secondary is extremely talented, i realize it looks nothing of the sort, but as a former QB, its easy to see and hit your receiver on time with no pressure, because the WR will always have the advantage one on one...

The idea on D is to disrupt the timing, by getting a pass rush...getting in the way...GETTING YOUR HANDS UP!!! (where have all those tipped balls been????) and what WR's hate...bumping them at the line...(WE PLAY 10 yrds off!!! WTF!)

We faced Bruce Gradkowski this year! the 04 SCHEME would have just about made him give up on football because that d was absolutly dominant.

We have all these undersized, yet speedy guys in the front 7 and were not blitzing with purpose, were not confusing anyone by lining up in a traditional 4-3 cover 2, standing there and letting teams gash us with the pas and run.

MOVE! do something! fake blitz, dance, Raise the roof! distract the QB...the players really dont like GW and it shows every time they have to deal with him at half time...the D comes out flat every game...sept for Carolina

This is not a problem of Clark is gone...Smoot is gone, Pierce is gone...da da da

AA and TV are both more talented than Clark...Rodgers is more talented than Smoot, and an infinitely better tackler, Marshall is faster than Pierce and can play when the D line plays hard....Remember the safety vs. Dallas?? yeah...

With that said...i am a huge fan of guys who swallow their pride and become one of Joe's Guys...like a Clark or Royal, those guys are valuable, if u want someone else...Start them, but dont get rid of "team first" guys, I dont think GW gives a ****, he is at fault for his players getting burnt and missing tackles...He needs to dig up some of them old plays he drew in the dirt cuz just about anyone can do better as a D coordinator with this talent on D.

All in all, ST is hall of fame talent...MW is pro bowl talent, so is AA, so is TV, so is SS, CR will be, CG is pro bowl talent, AC is pro bowl talent...

ACT LIKE YOU CARE GREGG WILLIAMS!!!

That has nothing to do with it.He needs some players around him.I think we all know Reed has good players around him.

Is the same true for Colts safety, All-Pro Bob Sanders (drafted at #44 in 2004)?

Williams scheme and the lack of a strong rush might be factors, but maybe Taylor just isn't a ballhawk.

Bob Sanders is very underrated as well. Also, the Colts may not really have LB's, but their d-line has been pretty decent overall. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are two great DE's for that team.

The problem with the Colts defense (in the past possibly?) is that because Dungy likes it to be quicker, they end up being smaller. As a result, the team suffers against power running styles and/or good running backs. They may have fixed that by trading for Anthony McFarland.

Sean Taylor, we had an emerging Carter, and that was it. Marcus kind of slumped as well, but he may have been compensating for the lack of a d-line. In fact, I think that's it as you saw him trying to rush the QB more often. Corny, normally a great run stuffer, was constantly injured. I think you put Taylor anywhere else, he would have a larger highlight reel.

Oh yeah, I think some plaeyrs have said Taylor was helping them get in position many times.

Guys after watching the Ravens vs. Colts game and seeing Ed Reed make play after play, I think he finished the game with 2 int's. I couldn't help but to think why Sean Taylor hasn't made those same plays for us. This is not the same Sean Taylor that played at the University of Miami. I'm a big Canes fan and when Sean Taylor played at the U this kid was a ballhawk. His last season in college he had 10 int's! What do you guys think is the problem? This is not the Sean Taylor that I envisioned when we drafted him. Do you guys think it's the coaches or the defense that we run? :(

I can't understand these Sean Taylor threads at all. It really boggles my mind how we in essence throw our ONLY true playmaker on the entire defense under the bus on a whim. You know why he had a bad year?

The front four sucks...

Our linebackers sucked the entire season and so did the rest of our secondary...

You can only polish a turd so often and Gregg has gotten all he could from the players we currently on defense. We need a overhaul on defense and nothing short. We need freaking talent - TALENT is what we need and desperately LACK. Folks that think all we need are a CB and/or a MLB are delusional IMO.

Once we actually have a front four that can generate pressure and stop the run ; in addition to, a linebacker with some size in the midde that can help do both as well - coupled with a true cover CB that can last the season - Sean Taylor will then once again play like he is capable of being . One of the best Safety's in the game that envokes fear week in and week out on the opposing team's offense. A human missile that hones in on the ball and unfortunate player in it's possession. This guy is an awesome player. What the h*** are some of you guys seeing that I am not? He had a subpar year because the ten other guys on defense that we have are for the most part - terrible.

I guess all those missed tackles are the defensive lines fault too?He gets paid millions to tackle and cover so far niether ,and I love ST,but take some responsibility.He needs to Stop all the showboating and do what he;s paid to do.The showboating will come with great play

I guess all those missed tackles are the defensive lines fault too?He gets paid millions to tackle and cover so far niether ,and I love ST,but take some responsibility.He needs to Stop all the showboating and do what he;s paid to do.The showboating will come with great play

I do think its coaching, our scheme (repeat...scheme) on defense has been a complete 180 compared to 04

i dont know what made GW change the system, but this used to be the defensive system that made nobodies look like superstars...ST has hall of fame talent, he needs the line to get pressure, a front 7 that can at least slow down the ball carrier...and experience

Gregg Williams is not doing his job (obviously)

I honestly dont believe that we need new players on D (except for holdman of course) the responsibilities in the secondary have changed...The plays are no longer happening in front of Sean so he can react and use his athleticism. I believe thats due to his responsibilities that he must make tackles in the run game around the line of scrimmage, not to mention he was making up for everyone in the secondary because the TIMING was not disrupted and our corners were playing over top of the receivers!

The front 4 are rarely cut loose, instead theyre too busy trying stunts.

We need...

the front 4 to be let free to rush the passer

Blitz...blitz....blitz...see the Ravens?? yeah! blitz! ( i know they just lost but they held the Colts to zero TD's)

The backers and secondary crowding the line...moving around, faking blitz (like 04) so the offense is then forced to adjust to them, not the other way around

Our secondary is extremely talented, i realize it looks nothing of the sort, but as a former QB, its easy to see and hit your receiver on time with no pressure, because the WR will always have the advantage one on one...

The idea on D is to disrupt the timing, by getting a pass rush...getting in the way...GETTING YOUR HANDS UP!!! (where have all those tipped balls been????) and what WR's hate...bumping them at the line...(WE PLAY 10 yrds off!!! WTF!)

We faced Bruce Gradkowski this year! the 04 SCHEME would have just about made him give up on football because that d was absolutly dominant.

We have all these undersized, yet speedy guys in the front 7 and were not blitzing with purpose, were not confusing anyone by lining up in a traditional 4-3 cover 2, standing there and letting teams gash us with the pas and run.

MOVE! do something! fake blitz, dance, Raise the roof! distract the QB...the players really dont like GW and it shows every time they have to deal with him at half time...the D comes out flat every game...sept for Carolina

This is not a problem of Clark is gone...Smoot is gone, Pierce is gone...da da da

AA and TV are both more talented than Clark...Rodgers is more talented than Smoot, and an infinitely better tackler, Marshall is faster than Pierce and can play when the D line plays hard....Remember the safety vs. Dallas?? yeah...

With that said...i am a huge fan of guys who swallow their pride and become one of Joe's Guys...like a Clark or Royal, those guys are valuable, if u want someone else...Start them, but dont get rid of "team first" guys, I dont think GW gives a ****, he is at fault for his players getting burnt and missing tackles...He needs to dig up some of them old plays he drew in the dirt cuz just about anyone can do better as a D coordinator with this talent on D.

All in all, ST is hall of fame talent...MW is pro bowl talent, so is AA, so is TV, so is SS, CR will be, CG is pro bowl talent, AC is pro bowl talent...

ACT LIKE YOU CARE GREGG WILLIAMS!!!

I couldn't agree with you more.

I agree with what others have said in this thread. The Ravens talent on D and their ability to wreak havoc on the QB helps Ed Reed be the playmaker that he is. Imagine Sean Taylor playing in that defense. Does anyone think he wouldn't be an absolute monster?

The secondary disintegrated around him this year so he compensated, on top of that he had run responsibility thanks to our Dline and linebackers sucking and thus got suckered on playaction a ton.

We don't have to worry about Sean Taylor. It's the rest of the D that's the problem. From the coaches on down.

Sean may never develop into the player Reed is. Reed is quickly becoming a HOF type player. The difference between the two in my opinion is Reeds football instincts. Reed has better feel, he knows where to be, and when to be there over and over again.

Unfortunately, instincts cant be taught.

BTW...Reed should've had at least 4 ints....remember Ray Ray tipped two sure INT's away from him.

Archived