Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SEAN TAYLOR and ED REED!

RedskinWill

If we had a pass rush that was worth a damn, Sean Taylor would be making similar plays. QBs don't make mistakes when they have all day to throw the ball.

He did have an off year, but so did the entire defense.

How about the lack of big mobile athletic young players who are probowl level to compliment him that have been together with him for several years who can pressure the QB and stuff the run??
I agree. When a QB has all day to throw, it causes problems for the secondary. ST didnt change that much, however, his suporting cast did.

These say it best!!

Guys after watching the Ravens vs. Colts game and seeing Ed Reed make play after play, I think he finished the game with 2 int's. I couldn't help but to think why Sean Taylor hasn't made those same plays for us. This is not the same Sean Taylor that played at the University of Miami. I'm a big Canes fan and when Sean Taylor played at the U this kid was a ballhawk. His last season in college he had 10 int's! What do you guys think is the problem? This is not the Sean Taylor that I envisioned when we drafted him. Do you guys think it's the coaches or the defense that we run? :(

It is coaching

If you watched the game yesterday, Reed was always playing 20 yards deep and only playing the pass. Sean Taylor is asked to play the run and the pass. He also knows that he is the only player on defense that can make a play that puts more pressure on him. Reed has Suggs, Thomas, Lewis, McAlister, Ngata, Pryce playing around him. Taylor has Marshall, Washington, Griffin, Rogers and Carter. BIG difference.

I can't understand these Sean Taylor threads at all. It really boggles my mind how we in essence throw our ONLY true playmaker on the entire defense under the bus on a whim. You know why he had a bad year?

The front four sucks...

Our linebackers sucked the entire season and so did the rest of our secondary...

You can only polish a turd so often and Gregg has gotten all he could from the players we currently on defense. We need a overhaul on defense and nothing short. We need freaking talent - TALENT is what we need and desperately LACK. Folks that think all we need are a CB and/or a MLB are delusional IMO.

Once we actually have a front four that can generate pressure and stop the run ; in addition to, a linebacker with some size in the midde that can help do both as well - coupled with a true cover CB that can last the season - Sean Taylor will then once again play like he is capable of being . One of the best Safety's in the game that envokes fear week in and week out on the opposing team's offense. A human missile that hones in on the ball and unfortunate player in it's possession. This guy is an awesome player. What the h*** are some of you guys seeing that I am not? He had a subpar year because the ten other guys on defense that we have are for the most part - terrible.

Quoted for truth.

Say what you want about defensive deficiencies, but it's pretty clear Sean's head isn't in the right place. Anyone remember his first preseason with the Skins? He looked like he hit like LT and covered like Darrell. He flashed immediately, picking off passes, scaring QBs, and scoring TDs.

http://nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20040809_DEN@WAS

Safety Sean Taylor, Washington's first-round selection (fifth overall), had a strong debut, though. He picked off fellow rookie Matt Mauck twice, scoring from the 3 on the second interception.

Taylor stepped in front of Putzier, grabbed the pass and sauntered into the end zone for a 10-9 lead in the third quarter.

"I saw it coming and I made the play," Taylor said. "I'm here to make big plays."

The Ravens lost.

When their team needed them the most. Their defense let Dominic Rhodes pound the ball down their throats for over 7 minutes to win the game.

Where was Ed Reed during that?

So that's what Ed Reed did when he had a chance to get his first playoff win.

What did Sean Taylor do during his chance?

When his team was setting playoff records for offensive incompetence, Sean Taylor took the game in his hand and picked up a fumble and ran in it in for a touchdown.

That touchdown ended up being the difference in the game.

In a game where our offense put up 120 yards, our defense singlehandedly won our playoff game for us.

Defense wins championships, but for all the hype, the Ravens defense hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years.

Come back to me when they do.

It is fair to make excuses for him because of defensive deficiencies. You might say he has gotten worse since he got here, but look at our defense: 3 to 9 to 31. Theres a trend right there.

Not to mention, if you want to compare him to Ed Reed, be my guest. Looking purely at the statistics, Sean Taylor beats Ed Reed in every single category except interceptions. He has 6 passes defended to Ed Reed's 4, 3 fumbles forced to Ed Reed's 1, and while Ed Reed has 5 ints to Taylor's 1, look at their tackle numbers. Ed Reed has 59 tackles to Sean Taylor's 111. Now, that doesn't make Ed Reed a worse player. No, what I'm trying to point out is how many times people were able to break into the secondary with the run game, how our cornerbacks weren't covering well and tackling well so Taylor had to come in and lay a massive hit. Sean Taylor is on a crappy defense where he has to overcompensate for just about every single other position. You can compare him to Reed all day and say he's better and such, but for me, Sean Taylor is a beast and will always be.

I know everyone is saying he's bad because our defense is bad, and its true for the most part. But that doesn't excuse the numerous penalites on him and the, well, I'll just say 20+ missed tackles by him. He needs to fit around what he has. He can't go for the big hit when nobody else does anything. I know this might hold him back, but he just can't play like that if nobody else is going to help.

I wonder where the hell the coaching staff is to tell him this.

Because ST is not good in pass coverage. He stinks as a FS. He should be a SS, not a FS. Gregg Williams is an idiot for putting ST at FS as well as starting Holdman and Rogers and moving Marshall to ILB. Williams is also an idiot for not keeping Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark, and Walt Harris.

It is fair to make excuses for him because of defensive deficiencies. You might say he has gotten worse since he got here, but look at our defense: 3 to 9 to 31. Theres a trend right there.

Not to mention, if you want to compare him to Ed Reed, be my guest. Looking purely at the statistics, Sean Taylor beats Ed Reed in every single category except interceptions. He has 6 passes defended to Ed Reed's 4, 3 fumbles forced to Ed Reed's 1, and while Ed Reed has 5 ints to Taylor's 1, look at their tackle numbers. Ed Reed has 59 tackles to Sean Taylor's 111. Now, that doesn't make Ed Reed a worse player. No, what I'm trying to point out is how many times people were able to break into the secondary with the run game, how our cornerbacks weren't covering well and tackling well so Taylor had to come in and lay a massive hit. Sean Taylor is on a crappy defense where he has to overcompensate for just about every single other position. You can compare him to Reed all day and say he's better and such, but for me, Sean Taylor is a beast and will always be.

Why, then, when the defense was ninth, did he only have two interceptions?

have any of you watched his coverage skills at miami and his first 2 seasons?

he is a perfect FS, if we put him at SS, our defense would be A LOT WORSE!

remember these int's: vs bengals where he drug his toes, vs chi where he leaped like crazy, vs eagles when he dove, vs san fran when he jumped the route, vs carlona where he made up 20 yards to catch it, vs san fran where he out leaped the WR then handed off to marcus (the handoff got called back, but you cant teach those instincts, and his int vs arizona where he got both feet dowb

he has great coverage skills, but not when u put him 1-1 with stallworth or burress or any team's #1 reciver...if we used him where he just plays deep zone all game, mhe would be best FS in the league, no doubt

Because ST is not good in pass coverage. He stinks as a FS. He should be a SS, not a FS. Gregg Williams is an idiot for putting ST at FS as well as starting Holdman and Rogers and moving Marshall to ILB. Williams is also an idiot for not keeping Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark, and Walt Harris.

I disagree with that statement. ST was a ballhawk when he came out of college with great awareness for the game and had a nose for the football. I believe it's the defense here and gregg williams.:2cents:

have any of you watched his coverage skills at miami and his first 2 seasons?

he is a perfect FS, if we put him at SS, our defense would be A LOT WORSE!

remember these int's: vs bengals where he drug his toes, vs chi where he leaped like crazy, vs eagles when he dove, vs san fran when he jumped the route, vs carlona where he made up 20 yards to catch it, vs san fran where he out leaped the WR then handed off to marcus (the handoff got called back, but you cant teach those instincts, and his int vs arizona where he got both feet dowb

he has great coverage skills, but not when u put him 1-1 with stallworth or burress or any team's #1 reciver...if we used him where he just plays deep zone all game, mhe would be best FS in the league, no doubt

I agree with you 100%.

How about the lack of big mobile athletic young players who are probowl level to compliment him that have been together with him for several years who can pressure the QB and stuff the run??

Exactly..While Sean does have to improve in some areas, do you actually beleive Ed Reed would be as dominant on the Skins defense? Ed Reed is playing with 1 Probowl and 1 former probowl corner, 3 probowl caliber linebackers, and 2-3 probowl caliber defensive lineman....and the supporting cast isn't that bad either....He has no pressure to have to cover for one of the corners and he has virtually ZERO responsibility in the running game....He's able to free lance and ballhawk in the secondary.....Seasn has areas he needs ti improve in, but his supporting cast doesn't allow him to play a similar style....

Why, then, when the defense was ninth, did he only have two interceptions?

Ed Reed had one INT last season in ten games when the Ravens were ranked 4th overall in passing defense.

Sean had two INT's when the passing defense was ranked 10th.

Stats only tell part of the story - important but we tend to focus too much on them at times.

Nobody wanted to throw around Ed or Sean last season for good reason. The Ravens defense is infinitely better talent wise and this year it caught up with us. Compare the guys they have on the D line and ours - same with the LB corp. and secondary. It does make a difference.

Saying Sean is not a playmaker to me is totally without merit and just plain dumb. We can have a debate on his mental stability which may have effected his play or other intangibles like the Clark loss but saying he's a bust or not what we expected is just crazy - crazy and utterly stupid. Sean Taylor would be welcomed and given the red carpet treatment by any team in football. Teams would be falling over themselves in an attempt to sign him.

We're lucky we have Sean Taylor - and for me personally, you can throw out just about everyone else on that pitiful defense right in the garbage...

Say what you want about defensive deficiencies, but it's pretty clear Sean's head isn't in the right place. Anyone remember his first preseason with the Skins? He looked like he hit like LT and covered like Darrell. He flashed immediately, picking off passes, scaring QBs, and scoring TDs.

http://nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20040809_DEN@WAS

I remember that game. It got me so excited to see this guy. I dont know why put he seemed a lot bigger in #36. I miss #36.

Sean Taylor is a BEAST wait til next season. Yall forget that Taylor was mentored by Reed at THE U. Sean Taylor IS a ball hawk we need to surround him with decent talent this offseason. Our Defense sucked balls this season, dont blame him for that.

Ed Reed has SOLID corners so he can do him at safety. Sean Taylor has BUMs at corner when Springs is out, and he has to baby sit for them which is not really fair.

Hey Guys, I am brand new to the forum but ive been watching it for a while, thought id chip in on the subject

I am a HUGE taylor fan, i think he's a great safety, covers alot of ground.. and of course lays down the hitstick

on the matter of the subject, i watched the game too and couldn't help but notice how many plays ed reed was making too. it was from there that i went to youtube and watched taylors highlights from previous season, and couldnt help but notice... why isnt it pickin the ball off more?where did the fumble recoveries for td's go?

i think the problem lies right in the coaching staff. Jerry Grey and Stephen Jackson are messing with the players. He's playing around and trying too hard to teach taylor how to play instead of letting taylors instincts lead him

:doh: where did our defense go that was ranked 3 and 4 in the league? did laVar really make that much of a difference? was giving away clark and harris really hurt us that badly?

Ravens have a D-line that puts heat on the QB(60 sacks).That will make alot of DBs look great.We have a horrible D-line(19 sacks), how could anyone make many plays when the QB has all day to wait for his WRs to get open?

Exactly, and when we do pressure the QB players in the secondary(except fox) make plays.

Archived