Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SEAN TAYLOR and ED REED!

RedskinWill

Guys after watching the Ravens vs. Colts game and seeing Ed Reed make play after play, I think he finished the game with 2 int's. I couldn't help but to think why Sean Taylor hasn't made those same plays for us. This is not the same Sean Taylor that played at the University of Miami. I'm a big Canes fan and when Sean Taylor played at the U this kid was a ballhawk. His last season in college he had 10 int's! What do you guys think is the problem? This is not the Sean Taylor that I envisioned when we drafted him. Do you guys think it's the coaches or the defense that we run? :(

Because Sean Taylor doesn't have the four linemen that are capable of a decent pass rush. Sean Taylor doesn't have the linebacker core that the Ravens have nor does Sean Taylor have the pro bowl type corners that the Ravens have.

Sean Taylor is playing with bits and pieces because of the stupid moves this organization continues to make and an arrogant defensive coordinator with a sorry staff.

Comon ... stop giving excuses for Taylor ... he has no instincts for the ball or the ability to anticipate. He has completely lost his confidence and is palying scared ... he looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Take off your burgundy colored glasses. I would trade him if I could ... but who would take him ... he is a head case waiting to self-destruct.

How about the lack of big mobile athletic young players who are probowl level to compliment him that have been together with him for several years who can pressure the QB and stuff the run??

Nah, cant be that...makes too much sense. Not to mention we're comparing one of, if not THE best Safeties to a young, above average safety.

Right now, ST is eerily similar to Roy Williams. Sure, he can lay the lumber but he gives up the big play waaaaayyyy too often.

If ST played for, lets say the Cardinals.....nobody on here would think twice about him. Just because he wears a skins uni, you people think he's one of the best safeties in the league......BUT HE IS NOT, PERIOD.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

The Ravens lost.

When their team needed them the most. Their defense let Dominic Rhodes pound the ball down their throats for over 7 minutes to win the game.

Where was Ed Reed during that?[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

With all do respect to many of you's having your opinion, which a lot make sense. Baltimore had a game plan for their front 7 to stop the run and have Reed 20 yards off the ball to help out with the pass. Having said this when the Dolts were gonna run the ball with 7 and a half minutes left, "Where was Ed Reed"?

He finished the game with one solo tackle, that was on D.Clark 27 yards down field.

2 picks? So what? Ravens lost and Reed did not help his team out when needed to stop the run.

Get off Taylor's back, missed tackles or not, he's a playmaker for us and if we had a front 7 like the Ravens, Taylor would still be in on the tackles when the other team was sure to run the ball.

HTTR!

The Ravens lost.

When their team needed them the most. Their defense let Dominic Rhodes pound the ball down their throats for over 7 minutes to win the game.

Where was Ed Reed during that?[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

With all do respect to many of you's having your opinion, which a lot make sense. Baltimore had a game plan for their front 7 to stop the run and have Reed 20 yards off the ball to help out with the pass. Having said this when the Dolts were gonna run the ball with 7 and a half minutes left, "Where was Ed Reed"?

He finished the game with one solo tackle, that was on D.Clark 27 yards down field.

2 picks? So what? Ravens lost and Reed did not help his team out when needed to stop the run.

Get off Taylor's back, missed tackles or not, he's a playmaker for us and if we had a front 7 like the Ravens, Taylor would still be in on the tackles when the other team was sure to run the ball.

HTTR!

Ed Reeds lack of tackles yesterday has more to do with gameplan than ANYTHING. Like you said, they had the safeties playing 20+ yards off the line and backpeddling on the snap. The Ravens thought they would have no problem stopping the run with their front seven. They gambled and lost, but lets not blame Ed Reed for this, the man did the job he was asked to do......prevent the deep pass. He just so happened to ge two picks in the process, should have had three!

Sean Taylor AS OF RIGHT NOW, is nowhere near the safety that Ed Reed is. Wake up.

i think the problem lies right in the coaching staff. Jerry Grey and Stephen Jackson are messing with the players. He's playing around and trying too hard to teach taylor how to play instead of letting taylors instincts lead him

I don't know if that is exactly the problem, but I do agree that the onus for last year's DB disaster is on the coaches, whichever ones they may be. Sean Taylor has all the physical attributes you can ask for and he has shown he is coachable and has football instincts as sharp as anyone in this league. He looked lost, he was out of position, and he appeared to be over-thinking plays that once came natural to him.

Fortunately, I don't think any of this is irreversable, but the staff has to be flexible and be willing to either change what they or doing or change the coaches altogether. Every play that Sean is incorrectly utilized is a potentially gamebreaking play wasted. It would be a shame to limit 21's prospects, especially at the apex of his youth. We could be missing some highlight-reel stuff right now.

Welcome, btw!

Guys after watching the Ravens vs. Colts game and seeing Ed Reed make play after play, I think he finished the game with 2 int's. I couldn't help but to think why Sean Taylor hasn't made those same plays for us. This is not the same Sean Taylor that played at the University of Miami. I'm a big Canes fan and when Sean Taylor played at the U this kid was a ballhawk. His last season in college he had 10 int's! What do you guys think is the problem? This is not the Sean Taylor that I envisioned when we drafted him. Do you guys think it's the coaches or the defense that we run? :(

If we had a front seven that played like they do I could make plays like him. Reed is a ball hawk which Taylor could be if we could put pressur on the qb. The ravens ended up with 60 some sacks while we barely broke double digits. The qb's we faced had time to go to the consession stand, order food, eat, then find an open guy. That is a tough way to play D and put that kind of pressure on corners and safeties.

Sean Taylor really was a great free safety in college. He could cover a lot of ground in the NCAA. However, the NCAA doesn't hold a candle to the speed found in the NFL. Every NFL team has faster receivers than Taylor faced in college.

IT IS WHAT IT IS:

Sean Taylor will never be the great free safety that Ed Reed is. But by the same token: Ed Reed could never be the strong safety that Sean Taylor could be. The trouble is, Sean Taylor's coaches still haven't been able to figure out that he is better suited to play strong safety, and until they finally see the light, expect to see more woes when Taylor is forced into coverage.

So maybe the problem lies in the area of the redskins being weak in evaluating talent, at least on the defensive side, which is also how they ended up with Archuleta.

Sean Taylor has the raw potential and talent of Ed Reed, but Ed Reed has put it all together. Give Taylor a little more time and he should come together nicely.

I'm with you on this one.

ST has the uncoachables... everything that is wrong with his play are things that experience, proper coaching and a little bit of help from the rest of the D can fix. Now, if those things happen and he still makes bone-headed plays... then we may have a problem. Until then, I'd focus on the bigger problems with the D.

Nah, cant be that...makes too much sense. Not to mention we're comparing one of, if not THE best Safeties to a young, above average safety.

Right now, ST is eerily similar to Roy Williams. Sure, he can lay the lumber but he gives up the big play waaaaayyyy too often.

If ST played for, lets say the Cardinals.....nobody on here would think twice about him. Just because he wears a skins uni, you people think he's one of the best safeties in the league......BUT HE IS NOT, PERIOD.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

Put Sean Taylor in the Ravens D and he would do just as well as Ed Reed.

Put Ed Reed in the Redskins D and he would do just as well (or badly depending on how you see it) as Sean Taylor.

Sean Taylor is clearly playing overextended, you can see it in the games. He can't roam anymore because the rest of the defense just plain sucks.

Sean had to adapt to a new defensive scheme under GW and without a consistent supply of capable people to relieve him of a lot of pressure, Sean had to take it on himself to cover a lot of turf. I have no doubt that he's still a "ball hawk", however, he's not "superman" and he can only do just so much especially when there is defficient support amongst the other 10 players on defense.

Sean is my type of player and i sincerely hope that GW recognizes that he needs "help" in the secondary. !!!

As a big canes fan I watched both of their college careers. Ed Reed was a very good college player and S. Taylor was better. Taylor always seemed to make the big play when we needed it. Miami announcers will still say in crucial situations of a game that we need a Sean Taylor type play here to change the game. We get no pressure on the QB so the QB's don't make many mistakes. Any NFL QB will look good and throw very few picks if they are not pressured. Plus Taylor has to be all over the field trying to make up for the rest of the players that are underperforming. If the other 10 guys played better together it would give Taylor the ability to roam more and seek out the ball. All good defenses start up front. NFL QB's will make any secondary look silly with time to throw. We need a front four that causes havoc and forces mistakes. If we had 2 DL's that commanded a double team, not only would it make the other lineman more effective, but it would do wonders for our blitzes. And our secondary would look much better. I remember many years where the Steelers had a subpar secondary that looked much better because of the pressure on the QB. We need 2 dominating DL and the rest will fall into place.

Ravens have a D-line that puts heat on the QB(60 sacks).That will make alot of DBs look great.We have a horrible D-line(19 sacks), how could anyone make many plays when the QB has all day to wait for his WRs to get open?

He has to help out at the line of scrimmage, if he can just sit back there like Mr Reed he will be just as good.

They're really different players. Reed is a better coverage guy -- no doubt. He also gets -- as someone pointed out -- a much better pass rush in front of him. Taylor is a better run-stopped and intimidator down the field. Reed is more disciplined & that's where Taylor needs work.

Guest sith lord

Stop with the excuses, Reed is better than Taylor. Case close. Heck, even Roy Williams makes more plays than ST and his D-Line is about as bad.

Oh we all know that we're ate the hell up up....why? Well, we don't have a DE who demands double teams and overall we simply have a week DL. We don't have forward thinkers in the booth who can do analyse situations based on down and distance and make those adjustments. We're trying to run a Tampa 2 when we know a middle LB playing deep middle is asking for trouble; moreover, our LBers' are getting caught up in the wash, which generates underachieving play from the secondary, which equals a washed up "D". How does that song go: "Its sad....so sad.....its sad....its a sad, sad, situation and its getting more and more absurd....sorry seems to be the hardest word.... It's okay to be dumb but when you're dumb and don't realize it, then you really have a problem...oh you don't know, because if you did we wouldn't be in this debacle.

Oh we all know that we're ate the hell up up....why? Well, we don't have a DE who demands double teams and overall we simply have a week DL. We don't have forward thinkers in the booth who can do analyse situations based on down and distance and make those adjustments. We're trying to run a Tampa 2 when we know a middle LB playing deep middle is asking for trouble; moreover, our LBers' are getting caught up in the wash, which generates underachieving play from the secondary, which equals a washed up "D". How does that song go: "Its sad....so sad.....its sad....its a sad, sad, situation and its getting more and more absurd....sorry seems to be the hardest word.... It's okay to be dumb but when you're dumb and don't realize it, then you really have a problem...oh you don't know, because if you did we wouldn't be in this debacle. He hate me!

Sean had to adapt to a new defensive scheme under GW and without a consistent supply of capable people to relieve him of a lot of pressure, Sean had to take it on himself to cover a lot of turf. I have no doubt that he's still a "ball hawk", however, he's not "superman" and he can only do just so much especially when there is defficient support amongst the other 10 players on defense.

Sean is my type of player and i sincerely hope that GW recognizes that he needs "help" in the secondary. !!!

Sean is my type pf player also but he HAS to know when to control his aggression. He is a Ed Reed/Troy Palamalou type player but he misses a lot of tackles while trying to go for the big one. If he would play a little smarter at times he would make those tackles and more interceptions which would be a plus to us because when the ball is in his hands he does special things.

You are totally correct. What happen to Taylor was he fell in love with the Jacked up hit. He started off his rookie year being a semi ball hawk but as the hits came along he decided to be that enforcer. Sean has the ability to be a ballhawk but it's up to him. Ed Reed is a different cat. He studies tape like demon. I always said that Sean should hang out with Ed Reed and Ray Lewis more because they know how to study the game.

Ravens have a D-line that puts heat on the QB(60 sacks).That will make alot of DBs look great.We have a horrible D-line(19 sacks), how could anyone make many plays when the QB has all day to wait for his WRs to get open?

Good point. Also note how the commentators always made known that the Ravens safties were 15 yards off the ball. The Ravens were able to do this and still defend the run. Sean Taylor and our safeties have to cheat up just to give up 125 yards per game. If he(Taylor) stays back, we'll give up 200 yds. The Ravens front 7 is hands down better than the Skins. When your team isn't good at the point of contact(playing the run), bad tackling, wrong angles, players being out of position, DB's going for play fakes all start to happen.

Put Sean Taylor in the Ravens D and he would do just as well as Ed Reed.

Put Ed Reed in the Redskins D and he would do just as well (or badly depending on how you see it) as Sean Taylor.

Sean Taylor is clearly playing overextended, you can see it in the games. He can't roam anymore because the rest of the defense just plain sucks.

Exactly, some people don't understand football. It's funny how quickly people forget about St covering Randy Moss, T.O., Chad Johnson, Etc. but now all of a sudden he sucks.

Archived