Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOXSPORTS: Redskins Team Report

GARY_CLARK84

"Why it that every negative article related to the Redskins is met with somebody claiming that the author is wrong and / or has a hidden agenda against the team? This organization deserves negative press."

Cause we are fans. We stick with our team through thick and thin. I would follow JG and Danny Boy to hell and back. F' the mainstream media, F the local media. I believe in my team. Maybe you think we deserve it, but dont tell me how to react.

This is exactly what I was getting at when I posted the thread shown above. This team needs to change its philosophy on building a winning organization and since we are now entering a period of cap hell, it is as good of a time as any to build for the future.

I don't see the Redskins making too many more big money FA acquitions. The only one I see that they probably will do would be at CB. Other than that, they can work with what is on the roster and what they get in the draft.

That, combined with the fact that we can get rid of some guys without affecting us too much as a team (Brunell, Hall, Patten, Wynn) doesn't have me worried.

Jason

It is accurate, however it's equally disingenuous. Ask yourself this (or more importantly, ask the author of the piece): if Snyder didn't own the Redskins in 1999, who did?

The guy clearly does not want to give Snyder credit for the 1999 playoff appearance, so who gets credit for it?

The 1999 campaign, for which Snyder was the owner for the substantive part of the year, was eliminated purely because the Skins made the playoffs that year. When you're attempting to make a dramatic point, 1-7 gets the job done better than 2-8. That is the only reason the 1999 season was subtly eliminated with the adjective "full".

Yeah because if it said "the Redskins have only made the playoffs twice in the 8 seasons Dan Snyder has owned the team" it would really disprove what a mess we are in with the cap right, and how little success we have had?

The author was correct, we have only made the playoffs once in the 7 full seasons Dan Snyder has owned the team. They have however made the playoffs twice in the past 8 seasons. Either way unless you can refute the cap #'s it does not make a bit of difference....

Cause we are fans. We stick with our team through thick and thin. I would follow JG and Danny Boy to hell and back. F' the mainstream media, F the local media. I believe in my team. Maybe you think we deserve it, but dont tell me how to react.

Calm down Rush... Belief will get you 5-11. Honesty and hard work might get us better results than burrying our heads in the sand and pretending the Redskins are perfect as is....

No it isn't. It's correct. Absolutely correct.

Why it that every negative article related to the Redskins is met with somebody claiming that the author is wrong and / or has a hidden agenda against the team? This organization deserves negative press.

Agreed! Granted, some people do like to go a little over the top(I just think they like getting a reaction out of people)...but why act so suprised? If anything, it should be expected. And more, we all know this team thrives on being the underdog, so we should be HAPPY that they're not "America's Team"!

Originally Posted by Sociofan

I think my question above was lost in another thread, so I'll ask it again. Three years ago, the Capitals were built for a championship run with one of the highest payrolls in hockey. But they routinely underperformed. Leonsis decided to rebuild the team through the draft, so he dumped most of the high-priced veterans such as Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar, Nylander and others (who all are STILL playing well in the NHL) and gathered draft picks from other teams for those players. He kept Kolzig and Witt (who has since departed) as cornerstones and drafted some amazing young talent (Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Varlamov). It has been a joy to watch this team grow together and the team is no longer hamstrung by the salary cap, giving them room to add a player or two in the next couple of years to enter what could be a significant number of runs at the Stanley Cup.

This is very similar to the Patriots model. Of the 62 players listed as active on their roster at some point this season (offense and defense only, kickers don't count), only 19 have EVER worn another pro-team's jersey. And Tebucky Jones was drafted by the Pats, left and came back! Most of the starters on the Pats are players they have drafted. And year after year, the Patriots are a team to contend with.

So, the point of my question is that since the "high-priced free-agent" model seems to be failing us as it did the Capitals, what would it take to restructure the Redskins' model? How long? Who would be the "Jagrs and Nylanders and Gonchars" of the Skins? Who would be the GM who could put this together? Does Joe Gibbs have enough energy left to oversee this type of rebuilding?

I'm worried that I've seen the same thing done year after year now since Dan Snyder bought the team and we keep getting the same results while expecting something different to happen every year. Isn't that the definition of insanity? What will it take to re-tool this team?

This is exactly what I was getting at when I posted the thread shown above. This team needs to change its philosophy on building a winning organization and since we are now entering a period of cap hell, it is as good of a time as any to build for the future.

As a Caps fan I know what you are talking about, and tell people about it all the time. But just because it worked for them in hockey doesn't mean it would would work for the Redskins in football. You asked who the Jagr's and Gonchar's would be, but who would the Ovechkin's and Semin's be? There is no guarantee that draft picks pan out. Just ask the Lions and Browns (and I'm sure you can think of some hockey teams that have failed through the draft). The way a player is acquired has no bearing on performance. That is just superstition.

The Saints are doing ok with all of their FA's and trades (as are some hockey teams).

There is no logical reason to blow up this team or stop bringing in free agents. The only thing that needs to change is the caliber of some of the players being brought in. That is a scouting issue.

Snyder purchased the team officially in May 1999, too late to fire General Managers, but he was the owner for the entire season and influenced (probably) June player aquisitions and was known and hated for being very in your face with Turner. In fact, most of the hatred of Snyder is still tied to what he did to Turner in those first two years. People still talk tearfully about the firing of secretaries, Deion, and charging for training camps.

Snyder's pushing may or may not have had a positive effect on that year's playoffs. Still, it was his team. 2005, a Snyder-owned team also made it to the playoffs.

The first sentence is wrong.

Who cares, you get the point, dont cha?

As a Caps fan I know what you are talking about, and tell people about it all the time. But just because it worked for them in hockey doesn't mean it would would work for the Redskins in football. You asked who the Jagr's and Gonchar's would be, but who would the Ovechkin's and Semin's be? There is no guarantee that draft picks pan out. Just ask the Lions and Browns (and I'm sure you can think of some hockey teams that have failed through the draft). The way a player is acquired has no bearing on performance. That is just superstition.

The Saints are doing ok with all of their FA's and trades (as are some hockey teams).

There is no logical reason to blow up this team or stop bringing in free agents. The only thing that needs to change is the caliber of some of the players being brought in. That is a scouting issue.

Plus, It's different in Hockey and Baseball, they have the minor leagues to groom players.

Guest HowAboutThemSkins

It's the same old montra, "the skins will be in cap hell next year", which never seems to happen, but at the same time flip flopping these high profile FAs in and out of this team on huge contracts doesn't seem to be a recipe for success. Even if they can continue to be the biggest spender every year, like they have been for 7 years now, at some point some one should realize that they need to try something different.

How is it that the NE Pats lost their best receiver and the leagues best kicker to free agency, then lead the league in injuries, have no real receiver and still go 12-4? They don't do much in FA, they have young talent waiting in the wings.

we were in cap hell last year too, some how we still made a few pickups.

No we were heading towards cap hell, and we still are.

You simply cannot overpay for non productive players and keep stacking dead money onto your cap totals and pro-rating bonuses out into the future every season and expect to be able to keep wheeling and dealing forever.

It is like when you start overspending in your personal budget, its just a matter of your credit card balances going up at first, not a big deal, you open up new credit cards when the old ones max out and keep spending and laugh at everyone who told you you are being irresponsible, but over the long haul it will lead to trouble at some point. Sooner or later you pay the piper.

With Snyder at the helm we can count on the Redskins finding a way to sign more and more players than thought possible and then of course a let down on the field in September. That is his pattern. Do the math seven years of Snyder= How many super bowls?, Playoffs?, Division crowns?, Wild card runs?Danny boy we love you!!!!!! Just go away please and :silly: well really love you babe.

Such a substantial rebuttal...

It's a whole lot better than you parroting the standard media line that we've heard since 2000.

Cap Hell is coming to Washington!! Women and children to the lifeboats!! The Skins are headed to cap hell!!

Just what was it last year?? "The Skins will have to cut half their roster. They might not even be able to field a team."

Spare me the drama Mercury,umm I mean Mr.King....................:rolleyes:

It's a whole lot better than you parroting the standard media line that we've heard since 2000.

Cap Hell is coming to Washington!! Women and children to the lifeboats!! The Skins are headed to cap hell!!

Just what was it last year?? "The Skins will have to cut half their roster. They might not even be able to field a team."

Spare me the drama Mercury,umm I mean Mr.King....................:rolleyes:

"Hell" is a little over the top I will grant you that. I was responding to another post that used that term and I should have changed it to "problems".

I stand by my assertions that dead money, Bonus money pro-rated well beyond the players career expectency, and paying big $ for unproductive players will have a big impact on the Redskins ability to continue to make deals. Other teams have gone through the same thing, including SF and Tennessee, and we are getting closer and closer to it... We are going to have to do some serious adjustments just to get enough room to re-sign Dockery and maybe a FA or 2. We will still need to re-sign ST and Cooley, and Cooley is not going to take his current 500K when a stiff like Patten who had 1 catch in 2006 makes over 2 mill per...

"Why it that every negative article related to the Redskins is met with somebody claiming that the author is wrong and / or has a hidden agenda against the team? This organization deserves negative press."

They have led you into hell...I don't think they have the sense enough to find their way back...:laugh:

Every year we hear this cap hell crap and every year we wriggle out of it and the haters say ah yes well next year... The thing what the Skins do though is plan the cap so players retire or leave the team and take a big chunk of cap room with them (Wynn for example) they rework roster bonuses or salary into SB and every so often drop a top player (LaVar, Coles, Davis) and eat the cap when they can afford to. The Skins have possibly the best cap gurus in the bussiness and until recently were one of the only teams to employ such an indivdual... but people don't want to hear how smart the Skins FO can be ...

Also the article is missleading to sell its point : - to say Dan Snyers team has only been to the playoffs once in 7 full years make him sound terrible but to spin i totally the other way 2 in 8 is the same as 1 in 4 which is the same as saying under Dan Snyder since buying the team the Redskins have made the playoffs 25% of the time. Can the Maras say the same or JKC even...

Its all spin

It is a juggling act, and sooner or later you have too many plates spinning to keep it all going. Why is it so hard to grasp. The fact that all the future bonuses are being spread more and more into the future. Sooner or later the bill comes due. You cannot keep refinancing forever... Which is essentially what the skins have been doing... I hope I am wrong, but I do not think I am.

The 'skins strategy has one fatal flaw. They can't afford multiple free agent busts in one year and that seem to be what happened this year. Archuletta and Lloyd's big signing bonus, plus the aging of many defensive starters are going to present problems in how we assemble a roster next year. We may be in a position where we are forced to keep a player we don't want because we can't afford to cut them. That also means we are limited in our ability to replace them. It isn't cap hell, but it is problematic, especially since we have limited resources in the draft as well.

I still believe though, that if the author gets the very first sentence wrong though that you have to mistrust the entire article.

The skins don't have to cut Archuletta and Lloydd this year though the fans may want them too because their contracts are quite cap friendly in the initial years and there is the possibility one or both of these players might turn it around next year ..

Archived