Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs #5 Super Bowl Coach of all Time

graffjd

Oh enough of this homerism. He is right. Free Agency, Strikes. I'm not saying I'd put Belichick over Gibbs but he's got good points.

Gibbs won 3 superbowls with 3 different qb and rbs.. the nfc dominated the 80s.. it was truly a accomplishment.. it is very hard to judge now and back then..

My top 3 would be:

1 Lombardi

2 Gibbs

3 Shula ( still 16-0, and many still argue strength of opponent)

My Bad!! I forgot Walsh. He redefined offense with the west coast system. Put him at #2, and Gibbs #3.

What number is Shula? Am I the only one who likes this guy?

Walsh was a great coach, but he won 3 SBs with Joe Montana, while Gibbs won 3 with Theisman, Williams, and Rypien.

How many SBs would Gibbs have won with Montana? How many (if any) would Walsh have won with the others?

Sorry no way Walsh should be higher than Gibbs, no Lombardi

1. Knoll

2. Gibbs

3. Belichek

4. Lombardi

5. Walsh

I love my Redskins but in all seriousness, how can Lombardi be below Gibbs?

Lombardi personified winning. Five NFL Championships plus two SuperBowls has to put him at the top of this list.

1.Lombardi

2.Knoll

3.Gibbs

4.Walsh

5.Belichick

I love my Redskins but in all seriousness, how can both Lombardi and Walsh be below Gibbs?

Lombardi personified winning. Five NFL Championships plus two SuperBowls has to put him at the top of this list.

Walsh has four SuperBowl victories to his credit and never lost a SuperBowl,sadly something Joe and the Redskins did.(damned Raiders).

1.Lombardi

2.Knoll

3.Walsh

4.Gibbs

5.Belichick

Walsh has 3 SB victories (George Siefert has 2).

Oh enough of this homerism. He is right. Free Agency, Strikes. I'm not saying I'd put Belichick over Gibbs but he's got good points.

Where's the homerism? When did I ever say Gibbs was better than Belichick? Think before you call me a homer. I made a reference to his previous posts that you wouldn't know anything about. Feel free to look.

I love my Redskins but in all seriousness, how can Lombardi be below Gibbs?

1.Lombardi

2.Knoll

3.Gibbs

4.Walsh

5.Belichick

because we're talking super bowls, not nfl championships. otherwise, you're right, there's no arguement.

but strictly super bowls, which is what this list is, there really is no argument for lombardi over gibbs, imo.

Parcells? I don't think so. He won 2 but has been coaching about twice as long as Gibbs. One of the wins was by 1 point.

Noll was 4-0 and you really can't question the quality of his teams. The 1978 team was perhaps one of the best in NFL history.

Walsh was 3-0. His 49ers teams blew out the Dolphins 38-16 and twice beat the Bengals by close scores 26-21 and 20-17. He set up the 1990 team that went 14-2 and won 55-10 against the Broncos but Seifert got the credit even though he really didn't deserve all of it.

Belichick has done a great job. 3 in 4 years. The one question is that ALL of his victories were close, by 3 points and the outcome was in doubt each time. Also the opposition in the 2003 Panthers and 2004 Eagles was questionable historically.

But Belichick gets one very big credit on his side of the ledger sheet. He did it in the ERA OF FREE AGENCY where rosters changed over and he was not able to keep his team together for 6-7 years as these other coaches were able to do.

Parcells? I don't think so. He won 2 but has been coaching about twice as long as Gibbs. One of the wins was by 1 point.

Noll was 4-0 and you really can't question the quality of his teams. The 1978 team was perhaps one of the best in NFL history.

Walsh was 3-0. His 49ers teams blew out the Dolphins 38-16 and twice beat the Bengals by close scores 26-21 and 20-17. He set up the 1990 team that went 14-2 and won 55-10 against the Broncos but Seifert got the credit even though he really didn't deserve all of it.

Belichick has done a great job. 3 in 4 years. The one question is that ALL of his victories were close, by 3 points and the outcome was in doubt each time. Also the opposition in the 2003 Panthers and 2004 Eagles was questionable historically.

But Belichick gets one very big credit on his side of the ledger sheet. He did it in the ERA OF FREE AGENCY where rosters changed over and he was not able to keep his team together for 6-7 years as these other coaches were able to do.

Agreed and the only reason Parcells won one of them ws because the guy from the Bills couldn't hit a FG.

but 3 in 4 years in free agency is much more impressive and didn't 2 of the 3 superbowls come in strike shortened years?
Some people seem to have a problem with the fact the Redskins won 2 superbowls after playing a strike season but with all due respect those people may not realise that to get to the superbowl in those years you had to win an EXTRA PLAYOFF GAME to the best of my knowledge. To me this feat is harder than just winning a division in the normal years. The playing field was leval as all teams played with strike players and had the same oppertunities. The playoff games and super bowl were played with regular players as were some of the remainder of the seasons games. Cheers.

How does free agency make it harder to win super bowls? I think it is easier. When the Redskins won super bowls it was no fluke. They had to go through the big boys. Montana, 86 Bears

The Patriots have to go through flawed teams.

Yes it is harder to put a good team. But once you have the good team it is easier to make all the way to the super bowl.

But Gibbs did lost a super bowl big so i guess you could put Bellichick over him for that.

Archived