Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calvin Johnson declares for draft

Rufus T Firefly

Alan Branch gentlemen. Get him, add a corner and sure up the MLB spot and we should be in pretty good shape defensively.

Finally..

someone with some sense. :applause:

Take Branch and re-tool some more of your D-line and we will be fine. We can't fix everything this off-season, but we need to start at a D-line that is the worse in the league.

Wasn't Clark one of the smurfs though. I think height tends to be one of the most overrated qualities in a receiver. Look at the Patriots.

Yes Clark was one of the smurfs but I think that his point was that Clark was coupled with Monk (who was a big receiver) to make a great inside/outside (deep threat/ possession) receiving combo. Size as far as a possession receiver is not overated at all it is a neccesity

I think we can pass on Calvin Johnson. I know of another player of equal caliber that many of us are sleeping on (or may not even know about). He can give us the same skill set as Johnson and his name is Deyon Williams.

Background: Deyon Williams was the starting wide receiver for UVA the past 3 years. He broke his foot the first day of practice last summer and had a very bad senior season after attempting to come back against doctors' wishes. Note: I love that fight in him.

Deyon is 6'4 about 215-220lbs and runs a 4.4-4.5 forty. Against Miami his jr. season, he had 6 catches for 152 yards against Kelly Jennings, a 1st round pick last spring.

Because of injury, Deyon's stock has slipped quite a bit. But, I an agent who was trying to secure his services that Deyon has been working hard and preparing ardently for the combine. The agent told me I should remember his name, and that he would make some noise at the combine.

He will be a steal as a 2nd day pick. If we had a good scouting department, he would be an excellent pick-up and possible replacement if the Lloyd experiment does not work out next year.

Even Al Groh, a coach with NFL pedigree, mentioned last summer that Deyon is a bona fide pro. NFL-wise, from what I've seen of him, I would compare him to Chad Johnson.

So, let's pass on Calvin Johnson in the 1st round and look for true value in the later rounds. The first round pick should be on a defensive lineman. We've ignored the defensive line for far too long. I would not even mind replacing Jansen, who I feel has slipped a lot.

No Calvin Johnson in the 1st round, PLEASE!

Just my 2 cents.

There is one thing that worries me about NOT drafting Johnson:

Harold Carmichael

You old-timers will know what I'm talking about. Carmichael was a 6-8 receiver for Philly back in the day who tormented the hell out of the Redskins every time they played. The guy MADE Roman Gabriel and Ron Jaworski.

Still sends shivers down my spine.

Harold Carmichael

You old-timers will know what I'm talking about. Carmichael was a 6-8 receiver for Philly back in the day who tormented the hell out of the Redskins every time they played. The guy MADE Roman Gabriel and Ron Jaworski.

I agree ...everyone here has very good points and I think that we will draft a DT but I do not think that drafting ONE good DT or DE will make much of an effect on our defense. IMO if we are able to draft a Johnson or a Jarett we should do it with the #6 to give Campbell the 10-15 yard target that he needs when needed but can also break the long one . THAT will open up lots of options on offense and keep the defense off the field

As far as the defense goes Clements would be a good move and, if possible, a Justin Smith. Clements and Springs at CB with Rogers at nickle will open up Taylor for a lot of help on the run defense and blitzer (like an extra linebacker). IMO it is just too much of a gamble to draft an unproven D-lineman at 6 when we are not that far away from being a playoff team. I may be wrong and correct me if I am but what drafted D-lineman has converted a team from worst-to-first in a season?

We do not have a lot of draft picks nor cap space therefore we need to make the best of what we do have and drafting ONE player that may make an impact every now and then would not be a good move (see the Texans)

Vinny Cerrato does not draft defensive line men high . He said it on redskins lunch.

He belives in getting the skilled positions because coachs can coach up defensive tackles.

Well, actually I would pick Calvin Johnson if he were available and just pick up a decent DE or DT in FA along with a CB. But since he won't be, either Adams or Branch.

Harold Carmichael

That's what CJ is: a more talented version of Carmichael. In modern day terms, he's a faster Plaxico Burress except he's an outstanding person and not a headcase.

You see how Burress makes Eli? Eli makes 2-3 terrible decisions a game that he gets away with because Burress bails him out.

Calvin Johnson is the best WR to come out in a while. He will not be available at 6. But if for some reason he was, I'd be quite disappointed if the Redskins didn't take him, need or not. A player this special doesn't fall into your laps very often, if ever.

I'm not sure I would use a kid as good as CJ as trade bait, but he would command major power. Mark my words, and i know you will, this kid will be amazing. I stand by this guy, after watching some of his games this year, he was phenomenal, and to think he had a horrid quarterback...

Imagine Jason Campbell rocketing one to Moss, for 27 yards, then one to Johnson for a 53 yard deep strike. That would keep the whole league up late watching game film.

I understand this offseason we MUST go defensive to get more young talent. However, how can anyone pass on a talent like Calvin Johnson if he is available. The guy played with a mediocre QB and still put up huge numbers. He is definitely a #2 at best in his rookie year. What is wrong with choosing one offensive player in the offseason with exceptional talent and going all defense th rest of the way (draft and FA)? At least you got one mega-talent. Thats my 2 cents.

I understand this offseason we MUST go defensive to get more young talent. However, how can anyone pass on a talent like Calvin Johnson if he is available. The guy played with a mediocre QB and still put up huge numbers. He is definitely a #2 at best in his rookie year. What is wrong with choosing one offensive player in the offseason with exceptional talent and going all defense th rest of the way (draft and FA)? At least you got one mega-talent. Thats my 2 cents.
True dat. :)

The guy makes you fantasize about terms like "the greatest show on turf." Alot of people believe in the "drafting the most talented player in the draft" method as oppose to the "drafting according to need" method. I tend to agree that you should grab the most talented player, but our team has been so needy (especially for a DT) for so long now, that there is no way I could see us passing on Branch.

However, I definately wouldn't be mad if we chose Johnson. :)

Harold Carmichael

Actually just going on memory, Carmichael never really had great games against us. We would put 5'7" Pat Fischer on him. Pat was a little Bulldog and in those days, you could rough up the receivers down the field (bump and run). Fischer actually made life tough for Carmichael. He had some good games against us, but not great.

I think we can pass on Calvin Johnson. I know of another player of equal caliber that many of us are sleeping on (or may not even know about). He can give us the same skill set as Johnson and his name is Deyon Williams.

Background: Deyon Williams was the starting wide receiver for UVA the past 3 years. He broke his foot the first day of practice last summer and had a very bad senior season after attempting to come back against doctors' wishes. Note: I love that fight in him.

Deyon is 6'4 about 215-220lbs and runs a 4.4-4.5 forty. Against Miami his jr. season, he had 6 catches for 152 yards against Kelly Jennings, a 1st round pick last spring.

Because of injury, Deyon's stock has slipped quite a bit. But, I an agent who was trying to secure his services that Deyon has been working hard and preparing ardently for the combine. The agent told me I should remember his name, and that he would make some noise at the combine.

He will be a steal as a 2nd day pick. If we had a good scouting department, he would be an excellent pick-up and possible replacement if the Lloyd experiment does not work out next year.

Even Al Groh, a coach with NFL pedigree, mentioned last summer that Deyon is a bona fide pro. NFL-wise, from what I've seen of him, I would compare him to Chad Johnson.

So, let's pass on Calvin Johnson in the 1st round and look for true value in the later rounds. The first round pick should be on a defensive lineman. We've ignored the defensive line for far too long. I would not even mind replacing Jansen, who I feel has slipped a lot.

No Calvin Johnson in the 1st round, PLEASE!

Just my 2 cents.

You are completely clueless. This guy you're talking about being of "equal caliber" of Johnson? LMAO....Oh BROTHER!!:doh:

Even though I think Calvin Johnson will step in and immediatly be one of the games best WR's, our offense wont really have a place for him with the new emphasis on the run. If Joe Gibbs principles are run the ball and stop the run then our draft needs to be dedicated to stopping the run. When you make a team one dimensional your pass defense automatically will improve no matter the personnel. Draft Branch, Pit****, or the guy from Louisville.

Make no mistake about it, there is ALWAYS room on ANY team for a guy like Calvin Johnson.

Remember how people felt Mike Williams was the best player available in 2005? I still hope we trade down.

And those people were shouted down by me daily pointing out how our slowest starting linebacker back then could cover him and the Combines showed how slow and out of shape he was.

Watching this kid on Saturdays there is a big difference the only thing that will derail him is injury or being picked by the Lions/Browns

The only way you trade down is if there will still be several impact defensive line players available so it would be 2 to 4 spots down.

I say just bite the Bullet and either go with Branch or the huge DE and deal with not having more picks for day one.

REFRAIN FROM TRADING PICKS

Actually just going on memory, Carmichael never really had great games against us. We would put 5'7" Pat Fischer on him. Pat was a little Bulldog and in those days, you could rough up the receivers down the field (bump and run). Fischer actually made life tough for Carmichael. He had some good games against us, but not great.

You are sort of correct with that; Carmichael only scored 9 TDs against the Skins in his career. But it was always that:

Philly has 3rd and long. The pass is to Carmichael. Complete for a first down.

It drove me crazy. Everyone knew they were going to throw to Carmichael, and still he would catch it. His height made him impossible to defend.

You are completely clueless. This guy you're talking about being of "equal caliber" of Johnson? LMAO....Oh BROTHER!!:doh:

You heard it 1st from me! Watch what I tell you. Not clueless, but have some keen insight on this kid. Remember his name: Deyon Williams!

Hopefully we can try and use the receivers we have. Maybe let Patten go. He hasn't done anything but waste a roster spot and salary cap space. Espy has also shown a lot of jeart and determination. We need players who still want to prove something. I think Brandon LLoyd can still be an effective receiver for us. If we keep him he can make athletic cathches and get downfeild. There were many times he was wide open but we would check down to the flat or to Cooley.

Archived