Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calvin Johnson declares for draft

Rufus T Firefly

As much as I would like to see Calvin in a skins uniform, he is probably not the best choice unless we could move Lloyd and Patten, and we could make a lot of key FA moves..

ex (LB L. Briggs, CB N. Clements, more OL depth, maybe another mid range LB for depth as well, and then more DE and DT help....)

Unless ol Calvin can play cornerback as well, i dont think hes a good fit here. We have some good depth at WR. I really hope ARE takes over as the full time #2 WR (i saw some great things from him). Give J. Thrash some more playing time and see how he does!

If the number one player on your board is available when you pick, you select him, regardless of need.

that usually works if you think you'll have a need for that player soon. Case in point, the Giants drafting DE Kiwanuka when they already have two good ones in Strahan and Umenyiora. However, they also knew Strahan had 2-3 years left max.

If Lloyd can turn it around as well as a still young Moss and Randle El, a potential contributor in Mike Espy, and maybe a later round big guy prospect at WR, (see Marques Colston, studs can be found later), we won't have a need for a WR soon, even if Lloyd is gone this offseason.

Remember how people felt Mike Williams was the best player available in 2005? I still hope we trade down.

I've been beating the drum to draft Dlineman for like 15 years now. But if CJ is Moss without the attitude and willing to go over the middle, then it is certainly up for debate.

Only problem is: just how much money can you commit to one position? We have 30+ mill in signing bonuses tied up with BL, ARE, and SM. Can you tie up another 18-19 mill in bonus money with CJ b/c that's what the #6 pick will command? Who does that? I'd be surprised if any team in the league had 40 mill tied up in their wideouts let alone 50. I just don't know if you can build a team that way.

Remember how people felt Mike Williams was the best player available in 2005? I still hope we trade down.

Mike Williams is a headcase. From all accounts, Johnson is as good a person as you could want as well, and will be willing to work to get better; not feel entitled to special treatment because of his draft position.

Cal Johnson is so good that I don't think the Skins get any shot at him. If they do, they simply must take him. He's one of the best players to come out in a few years.

Yeah that shocked me. Props to Bubba for calling that a while back.

While we're at it props to Bubba for calling Campbell a 3rd round talent when he was coming out. :laugh:

I know they say go w/ the best talent there but another WR is not what we need. Offensively we showed we're more than capable when Joe puts his mind to it and lets Campbell play ball. We need to address present issues not just take the best player on the board. We need serious depth in the secondary and boost the LB core. Marshall has to go and Rocky needs more playing time. We need a dependable 3rd DB if one of the starters go down. That was our unraveling this year. :dallasuck

If the number one player on your board is available when you pick, you select him, regardless of need.

I disagree. Only if there is a gap between #1 and your need. If the difference in perceived talent is slight, then take your need.

Another exception to your rule would be when a FO cannot work equitable trades. You could draft a psoistion of Strength like WR and trade some surplus talent for need if you knew how to make good trades, ALA Denver and RB's...

The Redskins Wrs are still under 6 feet . We can not throw a jump ball.

Lets help Campbell all we can.

Moss and Steve Smith definitely show how a 5'9-5'10" receiver can play just as well as the 6'3" guys. I do agree though, we need a posession receiver. I was hoping Lloyd would work out, but he's only 6' as it is.

On that note, as mentioned, draft a prospect, project if you will, guy who's big with potential. Or sign some middle aged veteran like Quincy Morgan (not sure if he's a FA again). Look at what the Patriots did with a lower tier guy in Reche Caldwell.

Moss and Steve Smith definitely show how a 5'9-5'10" receiver can play just as well as the 6'3" guys. I do agree though, we need a posession receiver. I was hoping Lloyd would work out, but he's only 6' as it is.

On that note, as mentioned, draft a prospect, project if you will, guy who's big with potential. Or sign some middle aged veteran like Quincy Morgan (not sure if he's a FA again). Look at what the Patriots did with a lower tier guy in Reche Caldwell.

You need guys that compliment eachother. 1 gamebreaker like Moss. One tall big guy that can extend drives and catch jump balls deep. And one possesion guy in Cooley.

Notice how much Campbell liked Cooley. The reason is Campbell is 6 5. And he likes big targets.

It is hard to throw to WRs that are 5 11 when you are 6 5.

Archived