Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you hate Joe Gibbs if...

Thirtyfive2seven

He was almost the coach of the Atlanta Falcons, he actually accepted the position but the owner of the Falcons told him to take the holidays to really think about it and make sure he was really up for doing it.

In that time Redskin one flew to Concord NC and the rest is history.

I just don't think I could ever hate the guy. He gave me too much pleasure taking the Skins to 3 Super Bowls.

However, I could see him not coming back after next year if next year is as much a disappointment as this one was.

No offense man, but the mere fact that you even asked this question shows how little you know about this man. You should read books on him, visit his website, and listen to him speak any chance you get. One of the greatest qualities about Joe Gibbs is his integrity and his faith IMO. He would never coach elsewhere in the NFL. He loves this city and he has commented on numerous occasions that he had the opportunity to coach in Atlanta and didn't. When he got the urge to coach again, he came back "home". I wouldn't be upset if he coached elsewhere because if he did, it would be because Dan Snyder didn't fulfill his end of the agreement between the two. But honestly, he came back to coach here because the org. was in a state of decline. He came back for the fans (US :) ) Once he feels like he's helped turn that losing culture around, he'll walk away from coaching IMO (as well as the opinion of others around him). I hope that he will work closely with the org. on the business side of things when he is done coaching though.

HTTR

No offense man, but the mere fact that you even asked this question shows how little you know about this man. You should read books on him, visit his website, and listen to him speak any chance you get. One of the greatest qualities about Joe Gibbs is his integrity and his faith IMO. He would never coach elsewhere in the NFL. He loves this city and he has commented on numerous occasions that he had the opportunity to coach in Atlanta and didn't. When he got the urge to coach again, he came back "home". I wouldn't be upset if he coached elsewhere because if he did, it would be because Dan Snyder didn't fulfill his end of the agreement between the two. But honestly, he came back to coach here because the org. was in a state of decline. He came back for the fans (US :) ) Once he feels like he's helped turn that losing culture around, he'll walk away from coaching IMO (as well as the opinion of others around him). I hope that he will work closely with the org. on the business side of things when he is done coaching though.

HTTR

Your facts are a bit off. He would have most definately coached another team had the Redskin job not been open. If Snyder had never fired Marty or the Spurrrier thing would have worked Joe Gibbs would not be the coach of the Redskins today, he would be standing on the sidelines for the Atlanta Falcons.

I don't doubt that the Redskins are #1 in his heart but 3 years ago he was ready to coach again and he agreed to coach the Atlanta Falcons and only turned it down because the Redskin job became open.

Your facts are a bit off. ......

he was ready to coach again and he agreed to coach the Atlanta Falcons and only turned it down because the Redskin job became open.

As are yours...

Here's a quote right from Joe Gibbs when he gave up his minority interest in the Falcons to take the coaching job at a time when the Falcons were looking for a coach. Earlier in the same article, they talk about who else interviewed for the job, and Gibbs name is not there.

On Wednesday came word that minority owner Joe Gibbs will give up his 1.67 percent share of the Falcons and return to Washington to coach the Redskins, whom he coached from 1981 to 1992.

"This is basically a decision based solely on me, and I appreciate so much what Arthur has done for me," Gibbs said Thursday. "I shared my thoughts with him, and he helped guide me through this process. The thing for me is that I think when you spend 12 years in one place and you build so many lasting relationships, that's a hard thing to pass up.

"I don't think I could coach anywhere else. With everything in the background and all the experiences I've had here, good and bad, this was the direction I wanted to take."

Entire article here:

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=1693

This is from January 2004.

Same article, when talking about who they didn't pick:

On Monday, the Falcons' defensive coordinator, Wade Phillips --- the only candidate with experience as a head coach --- was interviewed.

(emphasis added).

He did not consider coaching Atlanta. He said so many times when he came back here.

I was just sitting around watchin the playoffs and there was an announcement about how the Tuna may not coach in Dallas next year. Who cares, right? But it got me thinking about all the other teams he's coached over the years and just left them hanging.

So my question is, wouldn't you HATE Joe Gibbs if he came back to coach another team instead of the Redskins? Or what if he resigned after another bad season, heck, even a good season and then coached another team?

Yah it's the off-season and the Giants/Eagles game is boring to me.

No offense, but this is really a dumb question. Everyone knows this isn't happening. He only came back to the NFL for one reason, to get the Redskins back to their glory days. This is the only team he would have returned to coach. And its ludicrous to think he would resign and then come back to the NFL at his age AND coach a team other than the Redskins. C'mon man, THINK!!!!

Personally, I'm getting to the point where I've lost all respect for Joe Gibbs anyway, so I'm not sure that him coming back and coaching some other team would make all that much of a difference to me.

Ok, I've just got to ask. What in the **** has Gibbs done that has made you lose all respect? Man, some of you guys make absolutely NO sense whatsover!:doh:

Hate?...Absolutely not. Would I like it?..now that's a different story. It would be strange to say the least. But I couldn't or wouldn't hate him..not after what he's done for this organization in the past. He's a skin thru & thru. I don't think he would coach anywhere else. He may become a part of another team..but I don't think he'd coach another team. So my answer would be NO.

HTTR!

HTTR

Hey there, I appreciate your post however I didn't want to get into all that. I have a joe Gibbs bible, and I get his weekly game plan. I know all about joe :)

I was just asking a hypothetical question. Obviously he isn't going to do that. We all know this, but it's the off season and I was bored at the time. I wanted to see and compare what it would be like to have a coach that did what parcells does.

No offense, but this is really a dumb question. Everyone knows this isn't happening. He only came back to the NFL for one reason, to get the Redskins back to their glory days. This is the only team he would have returned to coach. And its ludicrous to think he would resign and then come back to the NFL at his age AND coach a team other than the Redskins. C'mon man, THINK!!!!

aww man some of you guys are missing the point. Sorry if you think it's a dumb question, but again it's merely hypothetical.

<3 Httr

Ok, I've just got to ask. What in the **** has Gibbs done that has made you lose all respect? Man, some of you guys make absolutely NO sense whatsover!:doh:

When Joe left the Redskins after the 1992-1993 season, I considered him one of the greatest football minds I've ever seen or read about. I was very much in agreement with his quick acceptance into the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

When Steve Spurrier's time with the Redskins ended, and it was announced that Joe Gibbs was coming back, I was initially very happy. Then something dawned on me.... this could backfire. The Return of Joe Gibbs could quickly and easily tarnish his prior success if he didn't get things turned around in the organization.

Now, three years later we've gone 6-10, 10-6 (which I believe to have been an aberation), and 5-11. We've played 2 playoff games, "winning" 1 that we should have lost, and playing horribly in both. Gibbs has gone into that "speak lots and say nothing" gibberish-talk that drives me insane. If he's not going to say anything of value, just don't hold the press conference. Additionally, the team really hasn't improved much over the Spurrier days. At least not so far as I'm concerned.

That's why I've lost pretty much all respect for Joe Gibbs.

I was just asking a hypothetical question. Obviously he isn't going to do that. We all know this, but it's the off season and I was bored at the time. I wanted to see and compare what it would be like to have a coach that did what parcells does.

I think perhaps the timing of the question is what brought out all the knee-jerk reactions that you didn't want. Let's say you had posed this question after an announcement that (HYPOTHETICAL) he had announced he had extended his contract with the Redskins to 7 years.

Then if you put.. i.e., "hey, this is great news.. but just for the heck of it.. how would you guys feel if you saw Joe Gibbs sideline opposite the Redskins (ala Parcells and the Giants).?

People would have not read your post felt you were really serious about whether or not he would indeed ever make that move and if so, what we would think about it. That's my :2cents: .

So, I don't think it's the question itself as much as it is the timing and how you put it.

Now, three years later we've gone 6-10, 10-6 (which I believe to have been an aberation), and 5-11. We've played 2 playoff games, "winning" 1 that we should have lost, and playing horribly in both.

You can't alter or make up history. We were 10-6, and won a play-off game. No abberation, no could-a-should-a-would-a. We won. And btw... that's equal to all of the playoff games we won since the last time Coach Gibbs was here. In alot less time.

I could never hate Joe Gibbs. I could never lose respect for him. I don't root for the team because they win... I root for them because I love the Redskins. They're mine. They were mine when I was little, mine through school and college, and mine now. Joe Gibbs is my coach. When he came back to the Skins, I told my wife "I don't care if we don't win ANYTHING... we've got Joe Gibbs back and everything's right in the universe again!"

BTW... completely agree with whoever made the Monk comment. Watching him play in a Jets uniform after they way he'd been treated by the SKINS (of all people!) wrenched my guts.

I was just sitting around watchin the playoffs and there was an announcement about how the Tuna may not coach in Dallas next year. Who cares, right? But it got me thinking about all the other teams he's coached over the years and just left them hanging.

So my question is, wouldn't you HATE Joe Gibbs if he came back to coach another team instead of the Redskins? Or what if he resigned after another bad season, heck, even a good season and then coached another team?

Yah it's the off-season and the Giants/Eagles game is boring to me.

When did you hear this? During the game I heard the announcers say that JJ had already said he WANTS the Tuna back next year.

Would you hate Joe Gibbs if... He coached another team NO, He run over my pet dog NO, he shot my brother in a hunting accident NO, He married my sister then cheated on her with my mum (annoyed maybe) but hate NO.

IN GIBBS I TRUST

ha ha. That's pretty funny. I don't think he would cheat on Brunnell like that:) Jk!!

I don't post a lot in the Stadium, and since you're apparently relatively new here let me just tell you this.... I have a very different way of looking at sports and life in general. Most of the posters who've seen me posting for a while know that. I might (politely) suggest going back and reading some of my prior posts if you're planning on having a discussion with me on this topic... just so you have a little background on where I'm coming from.

You can't alter or make up history. We were 10-6, and won a play-off game. No abberation, no could-a-should-a-would-a. We won. And btw... that's equal to all of the playoff games we won since the last time Coach Gibbs was here. In alot less time.

Not in my book, we weren't. This team hasn't played in, never mind WON a meaningful game in almost fifteen years so far as I'm concerned. We BACKED into the playoffs last year, from my point of view. As for what we did between the two Gibbs regimes... it really doesn't make any difference in what we're talking about. IF this guy is the Saviour everyone proclaimed him to be in 2004, he might want to work on some of those miracles; because the water to wine trick tastes a lot more like vinegar than wine to some of us.

I could never hate Joe Gibbs. I could never lose respect for him. I don't root for the team because they win... I root for them because I love the Redskins. They're mine. They were mine when I was little, mine through school and college, and mine now. Joe Gibbs is my coach. When he came back to the Skins, I told my wife "I don't care if we don't win ANYTHING... we've got Joe Gibbs back and everything's right in the universe again!"

That's fine. We have different philosophies on sports, obviously. I've rooted for the Redskins for over 20 years, since I was a child in the early 1980's. I've continued to root for them through a decade and a half of utterly disgusting and disgraceful teams. Through coaches and players who should never have been allowed to disgrace the Burgandy & Gold uniforms and apparell they wore. The Redskins are the ONLY NFL team I follow or will ever follow. I'm not a football or NFL fan. I'm a REDSKINS fan. However, recent developments make me wonder if I will be able to continue as such for much longer. Gibbs' current tenure is one of those developments.

Archived