Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you hate Joe Gibbs if...

Thirtyfive2seven

As are yours...

Here's a quote right from Joe Gibbs when he gave up his minority interest in the Falcons to take the coaching job at a time when the Falcons were looking for a coach. Earlier in the same article, they talk about who else interviewed for the job, and Gibbs name is not there.

Entire article here:

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=1693

This is from January 2004.

Same article, when talking about who they didn't pick:

(emphasis added).

He did not consider coaching Atlanta. He said so many times when he came back here.

How many Joe Gibbs quotes or press conferences have you heard where he didn't sound like that?

The fact of the matter his he was ready to come back and coach and like I said had the Redskins been doing well at the time and not in need of a coach Gibbs would be the coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

Of cource when given a choice between coaching the Redskins for the Falcons he would pick the Redskins.

But if the Redskins did not need a coach he would have accepted the position as the Falcons coach.

So this idea that he would have never coached any other team is incorrect. And it was very easy for him to say that in that quote with the way it turned out.

When Joe left the Redskins after the 1992-1993 season, I considered him one of the greatest football minds I've ever seen or read about. I was very much in agreement with his quick acceptance into the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

When Steve Spurrier's time with the Redskins ended, and it was announced that Joe Gibbs was coming back, I was initially very happy. Then something dawned on me.... this could backfire. The Return of Joe Gibbs could quickly and easily tarnish his prior success if he didn't get things turned around in the organization.

Now, three years later we've gone 6-10, 10-6 (which I believe to have been an aberation), and 5-11. We've played 2 playoff games, "winning" 1 that we should have lost, and playing horribly in both. Gibbs has gone into that "speak lots and say nothing" gibberish-talk that drives me insane. If he's not going to say anything of value, just don't hold the press conference. Additionally, the team really hasn't improved much over the Spurrier days. At least not so far as I'm concerned.

That's why I've lost pretty much all respect for Joe Gibbs.

First off, thanks for clarifying what you meant. However, I still think the reasoning is ridiculous. Because things haven't gone as well as you like you have lost all respect for the guy? That still doesn't make much sense. He's still a HOF coach and will always be recognized for what he's done for this organization. This man deserves nothing but respect. You think it doesn't bother him that he hasn't quite gotten things turned around? I think more of the blame should fall on Snyder and all the players he brought in that didn't earn what they were paying them. They've had talent around here we just haven't gotten the results. And don't get me wrong, I think Gibbs should take some responsibility for that. Just give the man his due.

First off, thanks for clarifying what you meant.

You're welcome. Glad that it was clear enough for you to understand what I was getting at.

However, I still think the reasoning is ridiculous. Because things haven't gone as well as you like you have lost all respect for the guy? That still doesn't make much sense. He's still a HOF coach and will always be recognized for what he's done for this organization. This man deserves nothing but respect. You think it doesn't bother him that he hasn't quite gotten things turned around? I think more of the blame should fall on Snyder and all the players he brought in that didn't earn what they were paying them. They've had talent around here we just haven't gotten the results. And don't get me wrong, I think Gibbs should take some responsibility for that. Just give the man his due.

He's the Head Coach and President of the team. Those positions come with a certain amount of potential for criticism if things don't go well. Especially when you're "picking the groceries" as Bill Parcells would call it. Gibbs has even commented on it himself, saying that his past success doesn't cut him any slack for current failures and that until the team starts winning he/they are going to be criticized.

I look at it this way..... In his first tenure, Joe Gibbs took a lot of the House's money away from the poker table. Almost everything he did worked out, and he looked like an absolute genius when he walked away from the table with the chips, the champagne, the complementary room, and the cute hostess from the bar. Unfortunately all that money, and the desire to feel the excitement of the poker table got the best of Joe over time, and when offered a chance to return to the new, high pressure, No Limit game; he jumped at the chance without looking to see if he could still win at it. He brought that huge stack of chips he'd walked away with back to the table and has spent the last three hands systematically throwing it away on terrible cards. He should have known better, or at least looked longer and harder at what the game is today before putting his chips on the table. He's losing them hand over fist so far as I'm concerned.

How many Joe Gibbs quotes or press conferences have you heard where he didn't sound like that?

The fact of the matter his he was ready to come back and coach and like I said had the Redskins been doing well at the time and not in need of a coach Gibbs would be the coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

Give me some sources. According to the article I provided, he was never even interviewed for the Atlanta job. You keep saying "it's a fact" but offer no backup to it.

Archived