Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At #6, No Can't-Miss Defenders Available

armada58

Here's the problem I see with this years draft. I simply don't think that the players available at our positions of need (Defense) are Can't-Miss, Sure Thing, Future Pro-Bowler type players.

I certainly agree that Gaines Adams, Alan Branch, Leon Hall, etc. are the best defensive players available in this draft. There's no doubt about it. But, that doesn't mean that they are stud, blue-chippers either.

I do watch a lot of college football. I've seen Leon Hall shut down many a WR, but I also saw him get eaten alive in the Rose Bowl and by Ohio State, who are some of the only top flight, NFL level talent at WR he's faced all year. I've seen Alan Branch dominate on the line time and again but haven't seen him dominate in the pass rush with any consistency (see the afore mentioned Rose Bowl & Ohio state Games). Same thing Gaines Adams and the others.

What's the point of all this?? Here's the point......... We may very well end up with one of these guys and they will hopefully be good players for us. However, if we do draft defense, don't annoint that guy as any type of savior. There's some good players in this draft on defense, but there are no saviors. As Parcells said, "Put down the Annointing Oils for now."

Does that mean we should not draft defense?? No, I believe we should still focus on defense in our drafting. However, with the lack of a Can't-Miss defender, don't be closed to discussing other options. The "Best Player Available" strategy may not be so bad.

Lamar Woodley he is the stud that can improve our defense greatly. I judge him by watching how he plays every play. Even though he might not get the sack. He gets close to the QB almost everyplay really fast and can catch running backs in the backfield. If we pick, this should be our guy. He reminds me so much of Shawne Merriman.

I agree. Just look at last year's defensive line prospects. Mario Williams, Bunkley, Kiwanuka, Ngata, Hali, McCargo and others made little or no impact in their rookie seasons.

Also Hawk, Greenway, Wimbley, Cromartie, Lawson were relatively nonexistent.

Ernie Sims and DeMeco Ryans were the only two worthy of such high picks, yet Ryans was a second rounder.

Here's the problem I see with this years draft. I simply don't think that the players available at our positions of need (Defense) are Can't-Miss, Sure Thing, Future Pro-Bowler type players.

I certainly agree that Gaines Adams, Alan Branch, Leon Hall, etc. are the best defensive players available in this draft. There's no doubt about it. But, that doesn't mean that they are stud, blue-chippers either.

I do watch a lot of college football. I've seen Leon Hall shut down many a WR, but I also saw him get eaten alive in the Rose Bowl and by Ohio State, who are some of the only top flight, NFL level talent at WR he's faced all year. I've seen Alan Branch dominate on the line time and again but haven't seen him dominate in the pass rush with any consistency (see the afore mentioned Rose Bowl & Ohio state Games). Same thing Gaines Adams and the others.

What's the point of all this?? Here's the point......... We may very well end up with one of these guys and they will hopefully be good players for us. However, if we do draft defense, don't annoint that guy as any type of savior. There's some good players in this draft on defense, but there are no saviors. As Parcells said, "Put down the Annointing Oils for now."

Does that mean we should not draft defense?? No, I believe we should still focus on defense in our drafting. However, with the lack of a Can't-Miss defender, don't be closed to discussing other options. The "Best Player Available" strategy may not be so bad.

Completely agree.

I agree. Just look at last year's defensive line prospects. Mario Williams, Bunkley, Kiwanuka, Ngata, Hali, McCargo and others made little or no impact in their rookie seasons.

Ernie Sims and DeMeco Ryans were the only two worthy of such high picks, yet Ryans was a second rounder.

AJ Hawk: 121 tackles 84 solo, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INTs, 7 Pass Defensed...I think that's making an impact. Did you mean Bobby Carpenter instead?

The Skins definitely need a monster DT, if you ask me. If not Branch then Frank Okha from Texas, or sign Terdell Sands from Oakland (if he's available). Some combination of draft/MODEST FA signing should net us a DE, CB and DT.

AJ Hawk: 121 tackles 84 solo, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INTs, 7 Pass Defensed...I think that's making an impact. Did you mean Bobby Carpenter instead?

The Skins definitely need a monster DT, if you ask me. If not Branch then Frank Okha from Texas, or sign Terdell Sands from Oakland (if he's available). Some combination of draft/MODEST FA signing should net us a DE, CB and DT.

OK, you win. Exactly two first rounders were worth the pick in their rookie season-Sims and Hawk. I think you got my point though....:silly:

edit* oops, and Wimbley and Whitner. So 4 out of 18 defensive 1st round picks(22.2% success rate IMO) is not a chance I'd like to take. That was my point but it got lost there in my own idiocy:doh: :laugh:

If Calvin Johnson is there select him, if not trade down, this draft looks to be not a great defensive one.

My thoughts exactly...if Calvin Johnson is there....YOU HAVE TO SELECT HIM. With all of the negative aura surrounding Lloyd...and the fact that Moss goes down for 1-2 games almost every year...and the fact that we have no clear-cut 2nd WR option...and the fact that we have NOBODY that can go across the middle on 3rd and 7....other than maybe Cooley...WE HAVE TO TARGET CJ.

If Calvin Johnson is there select him, if not trade down, this draft looks to be not a great defensive one.

It's not a great draft, period.

First and foremost, you can reach in rounds 3-7 for players you need, but you always take the best player available in the first round. If you've got the #1 pick, and you've got a QB at the top of your board but don't need one, you better trade down. History is full of disastrous examples of reaching in the first round for a "need".

That said, the Skins cannot afford to ignore the defense again. Everyone knows this, so any attempts by the Skins to trade out of the #6 spot will be met with gleeful smiles by all the other GMs. Another opportunity to rape Danny and Vinny. Unless God smiles on us again (like the Ditka trade), the Skins won't get fair value for their #6 pick to trade down.

So where does that leave us? You have to pick your poison:

(1) Reach for a DT/DE with the #6 pick and risk scorn if the guy doesn't play up to it, or the guy you pass over turns out to be the next Jerry Rice.

(2) Trade down and get screwed with a lowball offer from a better front office. They know we're desperate. Trading draft picks with Vinny is like playing poker with a moron. Sure, you take all his money, but don't you feel sorry for the guy after a while?

(3) Draft the best player available. If that happens to be CJ, you get (most likely) a great receiver that you really don't need, but leave gaping holes on the defensive side of the ball.

Of course, if they do #1, they can always claim afterwards that he was at the top of their board and they really did #3. Like always.

OK, you win. Exactly two first rounders out of 32(6.25%) were worth the pick in their rookie season-Sims and Hawk. I think you got my point though....:silly:

Tamba Hali has 8 sacks and 62 tackles. Haloti Ngata doesnt have the numbers as a run stuffing DT, but I think the consensus is he has been pretty damn good for the Ravens. Kamerion Wimbley had 62 tackles and 11 sacks for the Browns. Manny Lawson had 2.5 sacks and a pick. And I think we even have to admit Kiwanuka has made an impact despite some of the rookie mistakes he's made (53 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 INTs)

So in otherwords, your point isnt valid, IMO.

When talking about the draft, you are talking about potential about as much as immediate impact. For example, Adams' upside is that he can pack on more weight and probably keep his quickness.

Also, when we get to the all-star games, the combine, and the individual workouts, things will clarify themselves a bit more about how they project to the pro game.

But, people here seem to look at the draft as to "how does this player help me now" when really, their biggest impact will probably be down the road. People are disappointed that Rocky didn't play much, so he must be a disappointment, when there is almost always an adjustment that needs to be made to the pro game. There is the speed of it, and there is the length of the season, which is longer than college.

While people like to see impact rookies, there aren't really that many out there. Most need a season or two to get into the game.

Jason

I agree with the "select the best player in the draft" method. Calvin Johnson probably fits that title better than anyone in the draft.

However, I don't agree with your comment that this draft isn't a great one for defense.

It doesn't matter what defensive player we draft he'll never play until the last two weeks of the season. Even if we had the first 10 picks in the draft and took the top 10 defensive players it doesn't change the fact GW hates rookies.

At first glance this seems to me like the deepest defensive draft in a long time,... we still need to see which underclassmen are coming out but at first blush this draft potentially has the best DLine depth of any draft I can remember... there is some debate about who the best are and that means a pick in the 10 to 20 range probably offers a better value, but there is some real talent in this draft at need positions and the Redskins will have the opportunity to pick almost any of these players that they want, so it all comes down to the quality of the scouting dept.

This is a really bad post. You oviously don't watch other teams games. Kiwanuka, Ngata and Hali ALL impacted their teams. Greenway was injured all year, Wimbley did OK in a terrible D and the fact that you say Hawk was non-existent...well, it's ridiculous. He's a playmaker and worthy of the #5 pick.

My thoughts exactly...if Calvin Johnson is there....YOU HAVE TO SELECT HIM. With all of the negative aura surrounding Lloyd...and the fact that Moss goes down for 1-2 games almost every year...and the fact that we have no clear-cut 2nd WR option...and the fact that we have NOBODY that can go across the middle on 3rd and 7....other than maybe Cooley...WE HAVE TO TARGET CJ.

I would never, ever take another WR in the 1st round. Yes Roy Williams is a beast, but after Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Charles Rogers, Meshawn Johnson (good career, but not worthy of #1 overall pick) etc. there is no need to look at WRs in the 1st round.

For every Williams there are 5 Westbrooks.

Besides, did you see what Tiki Barber did? How many times has the Defense given up 10, 11, 12, 13 play drives? We need someone to plug the middle. It will make Carter better. It will make Marshall better. It will make Griffin better. It will make the secondary better. The defense needs to be built front-to-back.

It doesn't matter what defensive player we draft he'll never play until the last two weeks of the season. Even if we had the first 10 picks in the draft and took the top 10 defensive players it doesn't change the fact GW hates rookies.

It doesn't change the fact that rookies need to learn the game. Thing is, there isn't a set time which you can project a player as being ready.

Golston, for example, started from the 3rd game. Course, some of that came from nesscessity, and Golston still has a ways to go. Bobby Carpenter didn't get his first start with the 'Boys until the last game of the season, and he still looks like a work in progress.

Jason

Archived