Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At #6, No Can't-Miss Defenders Available

armada58

Montgomery has more talent and potential than Golston, he just didn't get "it" last season.

I'd like us to get Branch this draft and sort out the interioir of the lines for the next 7 or 8 years!

The benefit of getting Branch will be seen in improved DE and LB play.

For all you "select a defensive player in the 1st round" people...

Taylor and Rogers...haven't necessarily taken our D from subpar to excellent...

Perhaps something out of the norm...like going for CJ...would produce good results...

And if you think drafting CJ is stupid...ENVISION THE FOLLOWING: Santana Moss out with a hamstring injury...Brandon Lloyd is playing for some other franchise like...Atlanta...and we have to rely on ARE or David Patten while it's 3rd and 10...and we are down by 10 pts...

Its not sitting well...our WR corps, combined, weighs about 450 pounds...and that includes Moss, ARE, and B. Lloyd...

Agreed.

I'm sorry, but saying that you can't get impact Defenders in the first round is just ridiculous. Players on D have been FAR more consistently good than Offensive selections - PARTICULARLY WIDEOUTS!

Drafting a guy like Calvin Johnson appeals to lots of people, but the problem all season was Defense, people.

BD

Did you read the entire OP where he stated we could end up with one of these studs yet he may not produce? I never said in my post that you couldn't get impact players in the first round.

I just believe the probability of success is too low, combined with our multiple needs, the money they will demand, the fact that GW doesn't immediately play rookies, the fact that Branch alone will not win us 5 more games and is not a sure-fire stud, and the absolute undeniable fact that there are other players in the later rounds who can and will play just as good as those first rounders.

Well, the ideal situation is to trade down with someone who is looking for offense. That way we get the extra picks and still get the player we want.

Hope that clears things up...

If Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson aren't there at #6, I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to trade up with us because there really aren't any other offensive players worthy of taking that high.

If Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson aren't there at #6, I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to trade up with us because there really aren't any other offensive players worthy of taking that high.

DaWayne Jarrett. I'm betting that the Vikings will be taking him at number 8. Anyone who wants him (like the Falcons) will have to trade up.

And if you think drafting CJ is stupid...ENVISION THE FOLLOWING: Santana Moss out with a hamstring injury...Brandon Lloyd is playing for some other franchise like...Atlanta...and we have to rely on ARE or David Patten while it's 3rd and 10...and we are down by 10 pts...

First off, Patten will probably be gone and Lloyd will be playing here next year.

Second, WRs usually don't have much of an impact their rookie season. Santonio Holmes, for example, didn't have a 100 yard receiving day until his final game this season.

Its not sitting well...our WR corps, combined, weighs about 450 pounds...and that includes Moss, ARE, and B. Lloyd...

So what? The big WR isn't as important as it used to be with the advent of TEs. Cooley is pretty good out there.

Jason

People you cannot use the argument that rookies don't get to play at Washington in their first season as why not to draft D over CJ or anyone else for that matter. They are all rookies in their first year...

A bust is a bust and neither you nor anyone else can say with 100% certainty with regard to ANY player in the draft. So it is all opinion. Some people say CJ is a better prospect to be a standout player than Branch for example, and whilst signing CJ would make the offense better...

DID YOU GUYS WATCH ANY OF THE LAST SEASON?????

A probable starter (eventually) on O or D? Hmmm let me think, where were our problems and where were we showing good signs... Oh yeah, our O looks good even without Lloyd and our D sucks because it cannot stop the run up the middle and our DTs do not make holes for our LBs to make plays (or even an AA type). Hence opposing teams can beat us on the ground (see anything wrong here?). These holes that do not appear and so in fact do not exist are also contributing to a lack of a consistent pass rush from different areas of the team. We need this because a pass rush from only 1 or 2 areas can be game planned for. So we need to collapse the pocket and stop the opposing QB having so much time to work in. If we can do this our coverage will get better (this is now Run D and Pass D better because of just 1 player, despite the work these guys do being obviously passed over by a lot of people).

And we will win plenty more games. The improvement from a CJ type player MAY cause the team as a whole to score 1 TD more per game. The improvement from a Branch type player MAY cause the team to concede 2 less TDs per game.

IMO of course :P

I don't see how the Skins can lose ... they either get Johnson, Jarrett or Ginn; or trade down and get Willis plus a cornerback. Free agency precedes the draft so they will know precisely what to do at drafttime. I love this Board ... there is a pretty even split between the "you must draft Defense" and "you must take Calvin if he is there" guys. The way to resolve it is to ask: what would Bill Cowher do? Answer: I dunno ... he would never draft this high.

Whaat? We have Calvin Johnson and we're down by 10 points??

B U S T

:silly:

If the Skins decide not to trade down, I think they must be concerned about stopping the run 1st. Alan Page has got to be on their board. I've said it since the 3rd pre season game this year. This team is suffering against the run. When you can't play the run, No scheme is gonna work period. Getting blown off the line causes LB's and DB's to play undisciplined. Taking bad angles on takles , over compensating etc. The The last 2 seasons the Skins didn't have a pass rush but they were at least strong against the run. This season they took a step back tremendously against the run. Play action fakes, boot legs etc works when a team is running effectively.

When you draft the best player available, you get guys like Sean Taylor and Shawne Merriman. When you draft for need, you get guys like Carlos Rogers.

Between injuries and the salary cap, a position of strength can go to a position of need, like that.

LB is a need? 2 years ago, we had Washington, Arrington and Pierce.

This is my sentiments exactly. Especially when just last years draft alone(and my previous post) display that talented players exist throughout the entire 7 round draft.

We have about 3-4 positions that need upgrading on the worst defense in football, so it makes absolutely no sense(to me) to waste that pick on someone like Haloti Ngata who had 31 total tackles and 1 sack. With that D, the Ravens could have kept Kemoeatu last offseason. Kemoeatu had 34 tackles this year with the Panthers and is 1 inch taller and 10lbs heavier than Ngata.

Golston played better, stats-wise, than Ngata. Even though they play a 3-4 and we employ a 4-3, both DT's have gap responsibility(although I'm sure Ngata is a two-gapper). Knowing all I know now, I'd still rather have Golston for a 6th than Ngata for a 1st-sorry.

Dude, why not just admit you were wrong? The more you write the sillier you sound. Ngata had a very impact on the Ravens defense, much more so then Golston did for the Skins. Ngata sucked up double teams all season. Golston filled in nicely and made some nice plays, but he's not that kind of big presence in the middle like Ngata.

I would never, ever take another WR in the 1st round. Yes Roy Williams is a beast, but after Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Charles Rogers, Meshawn Johnson (good career, but not worthy of #1 overall pick) etc. there is no need to look at WRs in the 1st round.

For every Williams there are 5 Westbrooks.

Besides, did you see what Tiki Barber did? How many times has the Defense given up 10, 11, 12, 13 play drives? We need someone to plug the middle. It will make Carter better. It will make Marshall better. It will make Griffin better. It will make the secondary better. The defense needs to be built front-to-back.

How can we forget the #1 wasted on 50/50?"

When you start using high picks to fill NEEDS, you can miss out on drafting a superstar that can put your team over the hump. That's when you end up with Carlos Rogers instead of Shawn Merriman. That's when you end up with Mario Williams instead of Vince Young or Reggie Bush.

Then again...if you go by the "best player available" philosophy, you can end up with Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams...and have the fans calling for your head when 2 out of 3 don't pan out.

The draft is a gamble, plain and simple. Everyone has a different opinion on who will turn out to be the best player.

I'm fine with whoever we draft...CJ, Branch, Adams, it doesn't matter.

Archived