Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell's QB rating trend

robotfire

I noticed something really positive when I was looking over Campbell's stats. Here's his QB rating from game to game:

So what I'm seeing here is a good start followed by a downfall (most young QBs have that trend in some fashion, or they don't even bother starting out well). What's so interesting is his improvement at the end. I felt like it was easy to see in the games, too. He became better at avoiding interceptions (which hampered his completion percentage). He also got better at making plays out of nothing.

His average QB rating for the year ended up at 76.5... NOT great. But the real thing to look at is the trend here. He keeps showing improvement, and he keeps learning from his mistakes. His stats reflect it. That is what shows me so much promise for next year. I think we've got something special here.

Yeah - I think he's gonna be the best QB in our division for years to come. Forget Eli. We gave him a temporary stay of execution.

McNabb is a playmaker but he's peaked - meanwhile Romo sits to pee has never beaten a solid defense and he will be exposed even further in the playoffs.

Considering he is learning on the fly, so to speak, I'm really impressed.

Also, Gibbs' post-game comments were very encouraging, he said in so many words, Jason is our starter for next year.

The only reason why he wasnt in the hundreds was because during the year campbell was the 3rd string quarterback that means he hardly throws in practice. Then in the middle of the year they throw him in the fire without any practice with moss cooley lloyd or randle el. Wait til next year he will have better rythym and feel with this team then he ever has go campbell and represent my number 17. You rock man.

Next year will tell us alot about Campbell. He will have plenty of time in the offseason to get more familiar with his players and the playbook. The first half of the season I would expect to see great things from him especially since opposing defenses won't have much film to look at from him(this years but he should be considerably better next). By game 9 teams will be forced to adjust to this kid and will have plenty of film to go on(1st 8 games). Games 9-16 will show us how well Campbell will do in the NFL. You see Romo sits to pee fading because defenses finally have film to study and have started to stop what he does best. Forcing him to make bad decisions, etc. I expect Campbell to be coached up by then and able to handle himself appropriately. The thoughts of him portis/betts and the rest of this offense next year makes me think of good things to come and a nightmare for defensive coordinators. :logo:

JC had his best game last night so far. But, he still has some issues to work out. He mixes in too many horrible throws with the great ones. He hits the dirt and over throws too often (very McNabb-like). He's not consistently accurate when coverage is semi-tight. He's much better on crossing routes than he is throwing downfield.

He's also benefited from an offensive line that has come together and played very well lately.

I was more encouraged by last night's performance than by any of his others, but with the game on the line, he was off.

Hail,

H

Knock on wood but I think we might have found our long sought after franchise QB.

He has trown at least 1 TD pass in every start! :applause:

Yep, and a positive TD to INT ratio (10/6). Very nice start to a very promising career.

Now, which one of you bastages is jacking the bid up on the Theismann/Campbell auto'd card on ebay? Knock that **** off! :laugh:

I think last night did say a lot about him. The fact that he came back when we were down 27-7 and rallied us with some great drives shows again that he has great poise and doesn't let being down in a game get the better of him...no matter how much we are down by. Another thing I am really impressed with is his running. He had 2 or 3 great plays last night that were all him. That one where he had 2 guys on him, one with his jersey, and somehow stayed up and wriggled free to move upfield was very impressive. Also the 3rd down play from the shotgun where he totally stiffarmed 2 Giants in a row and got the 1st was great. Additionally, when he thinks there aren't any receivers to go to he doesn't hesitate like some QBs. He just takes off.

Does he have stuff to work on? Absolutely. He needs to work on his overall accuracy as well as the speed of his looks and his release. But again, remember that before his first game he had, at the most, a week and a half to work with the starters since he was 3rd string and worked the scout team. So he pretty much went in there cold and with just his raw talent to work with ended up looking pretty darn good considering the conditions. He is also a very hard worker and is intent on being the best he can so you know he will do everything he possibly can in the offseason to correct things and get more in sych with his receivers. With all of that worked on, I think our offense could be very explosive.

:2cents:

The play that really impressed me last night was a completion to Cooley to set up Duckett's TD. Against the Falcons, they had the same situation and when the Falcons blitzed, Campbell panicked and threw an interception. When they showed the replay, Cooley was wide opn in the area voided by the blitz.

Last night, he hit Cooley in the area vacated by the blitz. That was one of the most encouraging signs I have seen. He is clearly learning and will only get better.

I think that Campbell is the ONLY bright spot on an otherwise completely wasted season. I can't believe the season is over man. Just several months ago we were so happy about how the skins would be good this year because of how strong we finished last season.

The defense let us down.

Bright spots this season include more than just campbell

Betts

Randel El

Andre Carter

Are all people I am glad to have on the team.. (of course the usual's are important but we all know they are bright spots)

Campbell is going to be good. He has shown everything we could want him to show under the circumstances. He's thrown a TD in every game he's started, and he's made good decisions with the football and avoided (for the most part) bad mistakes. His 10/6 TD/INT ratio speaks for itself, and not all of those 6 INT's should result in blame on him.

Based upon what I saw not only from him but from the entire offense over the last six weeks, I would expect him to easily surpass 3200 yards and 20 TD's next year if he remains healthy. He's already as good as there is in the league in buying time with his feet inside the ten yardline and finding the open receiver in the end zone - probably half of his TD's came that way. He also throws beautifully to receivers running crossing patters and his deep post and corner throws are equally outstanding.

What he needs is fine tuning that comes with reps, and he'll get that this offseason. Ironically given the situations of our respective teams, I feel more confident going forward about Campbell than I think Giants fans feel about Eli. :)

Campbell looks bad because the play-calling stunk for a while. Run, run, pass, run, run, pass.... During the rams game, he struggled with high throws with little QB pressure. He played somewhat better in the finale against the Giants. I think the problem now is that the coaches are keeping an extra guy back for protection and well that only gives 2 receivers to catch the ball. It was a damn shame that they waited until the last drive of the Giants game before they used a 4-receiver set. The whole coaching staff is trying to be too cute with their play-calling and they end-up getting their asses handed to them. The redskins defense calls a defense that looks like it is a passing defense, but the safeties run-up at the last second to play the run and well they didn't stop the run at all. The redskins offense calls an offense that looks like it is going to run, but everybody knows it's 3rd and 9, so they have to pass and well they don't get the first down because they only have 2 receivers.

I noticed something really positive when I was looking over Campbell's stats. Here's his QB rating from game to game:

This is exactly what you would expect!!! During his first start none of the other teams had film on JC. Then as they watched more and more film they knew his tendency but now he is learning more and the defenses can't figure him out!!! Hopefully the trend continues where JC has no trends and keeps the defenses guessing!!!

QB rating is a nice, quick proxy for quality of QB play, but is no substitute for watching the game.

A QB could have a lousy rating because of passes tipped by his receivers into the arms of defenders or dropped passes, etc. etc. when the QB actually played pretty well.

Or a QB could have a great rating by throwing little dinks and dunks with his receivers doing all the work.

Bright spots this season include more than just campbell

Betts

Randel El

Andre Carter

Are all people I am glad to have on the team.. (of course the usual's are important but we all know they are bright spots)

Let's also include the OL. They really came on great as a group about the same time JC came in to play.

Hey guys,

JC is a decent QB. So is/was Burnell. If you look at the stats, they are pretty much EXACTLY the same. QB was never the problem with this team. Sure Brunell looked horrible at some times during the last 3 years. But, he was NFC 3rd rated QB last year, should've gone to the Pro Bowl, Mike Vick went instead of him last year.. what a joke.

In the past Gibbs teams won with very average QB's, Theisman, Rypien, D Williams, Shreader, Hostetler (sorry about the spelling) . With Gibbs it's not about the QB making great plays, it's about running the ball and hitting the deep throws after play action. Its the system not the QB.

And of course the defense must be solid. This years defense is one of the worst of all time in the NFL. I have ben watching the skins for 30 years, I've never seen anything like it.

HTTR

BT

The way he escaped those two would be sacks and turned them into nice gains and first downs was great. He made some really awesome throws, and of course some bad ones..but I think he's comming along just fine...another offseason of work, this time as the starter...going to work with Santana etc. he'll be darn good.

Campbell definitely has a lot of potential. I'm glad he worked out his initial kinks during a season in which EVERYONE seemed like they were playing for the first time ever. It should help out a lot next year, as he'll know what a real game feels like, and hopefully he'll be worth the first round pick we used on him.

Archived