Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WCP: Snyder runs away with Unsportsman of the Year honors

E-Dog Night

I'm no Jones fan, but didn't he at least play football at the college level? That's at least worth some points in understanding the game -- and who plays it and who coaches it. Snyder's idea of "building" a team is The One With the Most Trading Cards -- Wins!

jealousy at its best....:applause:

So now you have to play a sport in order to be a respectable owner?...

thats news to me...:doh:

You know, if I was Dan Snyder, I would be getting a kick out of this. Here I am, in all my rich, millionaire glory, and I'm regularly in the papers, being poked fun at because I spent so much money. What makes them think that a rich guy like Snyder would even care what they have to say. He's a wealthy man, still somewhat young, owns his favorite team in the world, and typically gets his way.

Thank You

And the other thing people dont realize is that Jerry Jones won all of his titles pre salary cap...

The salary cap was grandfathered in in 1993. Granted the Cowboys of the 90s were already assembled by then, two of their 3 SBs were officially under the cap.

The Patriots have disprooven the theory that the salary cap alone prevents dynastys or multiple SB visits.

Radio coverage is pretty spotty and annoying. Cute that Snyder's a jerk either way - by boosting the stations wattage, or by leaving it weak. And really funny that he's a jerk about improving the coverage by buying the classical music station, I'm sure all five listeners will be distraught.

It's a top ten station in the market.

The salary cap was grandfathered in in 1993. Granted the Cowboys of the 90s were already assembled by then, two of their 3 SBs were officially under the cap.

The Patriots have disprooven the theory that the salary cap alone prevents dynastys or multiple SB visits.

The cowboys won their last superbowl in 1995 which was actually the 1994 season when the cap began....

Check it out below....

The cap was introduce in 1993 it wasnt put into effect until 1994 season..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#Salary_cap_in_the_NFL

The NFL's cap is a so-called "hard cap", which no team can exceed for any reason under penalty from the league. A lesser-known fact is that the NFL also has a hard salary floor—a minimum team payroll that no team can drop beneath for any reason. The cap was introduced for the 1994 season and was set at $34.6 million initially. Both the cap and the floor are adjusted annually based on the change in the league's revenues. As of 2006 the NFL salary cap is approximately 102 million US dollars per team, while the salary floor is roughly $75 million per team. This number has increased every year since 1994 and will reach approximately $109 million in 2007.

The cowboys won their last superbowl in 1995 which was actually the 1994 season when the cap began....

Check it out below....

The cap was introduce in 1993 it wasnt put into effect until 1994 season..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#Salary_cap_in_the_NFL

The NFL's cap is a so-called "hard cap", which no team can exceed for any reason under penalty from the league. A lesser-known fact is that the NFL also has a hard salary floor—a minimum team payroll that no team can drop beneath for any reason. The cap was introduced for the 1994 season and was set at $34.6 million initially. Both the cap and the floor are adjusted annually based on the change in the league's revenues. As of 2006 the NFL salary cap is approximately 102 million US dollars per team, while the salary floor is roughly $75 million per team. This number has increased every year since 1994 and will reach approximately $109 million in 2007.

Ok, so only one Dallas team was under the cap that took effect in 1994. Dallas' last SB was in Jan of 1996 in Tempe, AZ against the Steelers for the 1995 season.

An interesting article, but I would say I agree with some of the previous posters that it is slanted to the left. People want this guy to be a charity organization. I am sorry about N.O., but do people really think that by having an amusement park stay open it is going to make the fact that the city is in dissarray? He owns a business and the object is to make money. He has donated money to the relief fund. What more do people want? We live ina capitalist society and if people don't like that then move to China (heck even they are growing more capitalistic!).

I know that he hasn't spent his money well in the past. He is now leaving it up to Gibbs and Co. to figure out whatever they want to do. He is trying to do the best that he can. I think in the past, he was more of a fantasy football owner than a real owner. I think that he has really tried to stay out of the way of the coaches and owners. The article failed to address the points of the present and rather focus on a lot of things that are really irrelevant. I do understand the frustration of the tickets and I think that is bad, but this is a business and people out there want him to just say everyone is welcome you don't have to pay a thing!

I know most people if the roles were reveresed, wouldn't go along with just having the team be a charity organization. Hopefully, our team and organization will be able to get itself together and win again!

Now' date=' let's wait a second. It's not like when Snyder walked into Redskin Park in May of 1999 and found a pee-wee football team waiting for him.

The team he bought in May of 1999 was pretty darned good. So good in fact that it went 10-6 and won the division.

[/quote']

Not to nit-pick, and I agree with the gist of your comment, but I am almost certain Snyder didn't take full control of the team until July, 1999. In fact, I'm equally certain it was late July, 1999.

Not to nit-pick, and I agree with the gist of your comment, but I am almost certain Snyder didn't take full control of the team until July, 1999. In fact, I'm equally certain it was late July, 1999.

Wikipedia had it as May of 1999; I guess that is when the offeer was accepted and he was probably given the keys - so to speak - in July.

The point still stands though. If the argument is that Danny was given a hollow shell of team when he bought the Skins and Jones was given a Super Bowl winner, that argument is 180 degrees from reality. The Cowboys were 3-13 the year before Jimmy got there and 1-15 in his first year as owner.

Danny walked in and was given a division banner and #2 and #3 draft pick before he had decided where to hang the paintings.

You have a primary misunderstanding of economics. You aren't paying for performance on the field, you are paying to watch a football game in person, or for a jersey to wear, or a beer to drink, or what have you...

And most importantly, I re-state, we are all very very lucky that tickets are not twice as much as they are. There is a season ticket waiting list of over 200,000 people. For those of you scoring at home thats a tangible, measured demand that exceeds supply by well over 200%. Now, a business person that operated by the book would manipulate the price of his product to the nexus of supply and demand. Who knows how much tickets would have to be to sell out every year, but have a small waiting list? I know it is a LOT MORE than the price is now. So, maybe we should all write Danny a thank you note for being a nice guy, and not exploiting the demand that he has for his product.

I also have a primary misunderstanding of how to fly the space shuttle but that doesn't mean my taxes don't help finance it.

Just remember one thing: Dan Snyder loves the Redskins and he is trying to win. He's not been real successful at it so far, but I am one fan that won't doubt his motives.

We ALL lauded the offseason moves as awesome, and we ALL had high hopes for this season. Some serious things have gone wrong, and most of us don't really know why, but I still believe Danny wants to win as much as all of us.

You have a primary misunderstanding of economics. You aren't paying for performance on the field, you are paying to watch a football game in person, or for a jersey to wear, or a beer to drink, or what have you...

And most importantly, I re-state, we are all very very lucky that tickets are not twice as much as they are.

I don't think you understand the economic concept of elasticity of demand. Demand would plummet if prices were twice what they are for this product.

Corporations feed on the passion people have, they exploit it and Uncle Sam is right there as well to take his cut. Its the American way right?

Our team has suffered since the Jack Kent Cooke era because we've had a heart tranplant. We're still in intensive care and I'm still praying for this team.

Dan Snyder may love the Redskins but I'll bet he loves money more.

Quoted for truth.

"Hassett also branded as a myth the fact that Snyder spends more money on players than other owners."

What a bad writer.

"Shortly after Snyder took over, the company went public with the fact that it wanted to permanently close its New Orleans site, despite the fact that Six Flags had a 75-year lease with the city to keep the park open and"

geeze, he sounds like he's writing for the high school paper. :laugh:

If you think Jerry Jones is any different from Dan Snyder I have some land deals I want to discuss with you....:laugh:

jimmy Jones bought a team that already had players like

Troy Aikman

Micheal Irving

Darryl Johnston

Nate Newton

Ken Norton

Mark stepknowski

Mark Tunie

Bill Bates

Snyder had to build from the ground up....

Troy Aikman was drafted by Jerry

Daryl Johnston was drafted by Jerry

Mark Stepnoski was drafted by Jerry

Bill Bates was a special teamer

Other players drafted while Jerry was GM:

Emmitt Smith

Tony Tolbert

Erik Williams

Leon Lett

Larry Allen

Russel Maryland

Darren Woodson

Alvin Harper

Among others

BTW Troy Aikman was not the concensus pick in 1989 it was split between Aikman, Tony Mandarich, Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders

He owns a business and the object is to make money. He has donated money to the relief fund. What more do people want? We live ina capitalist society and if people don't like that then move to China (heck even they are growing more capitalistic!).

That's right, we live in America, also learn to speak American!!

This man is dispicable and the complete opposite of what this franchise used to be. I feel disgusting knowing that this man is RAPING the fans in every way possible! I refuse to go to any of the games as long as he is the owner of our franchise. Jack Kent Cooke will continue to curse Danny Boy!

Wikipedia had it as May of 1999; I guess that is when the offeer was accepted and he was probably given the keys - so to speak - in July.

I just found confirmation.

"...he took the reins on July 14, just days before the team left for training camp at Frostburg State University in western Maryland."

Source: Redskins - A History of Washington's Team, page 213.

Radio coverage is pretty spotty and annoying. Cute that Snyder's a jerk either way - by boosting the stations wattage, or by leaving it weak. And really funny that he's a jerk about improving the coverage by buying the classical music station, I'm sure all five listeners will be distraught.

WGMS was ranked in the top 10 in the last Arbitron book for fall '06.

Source: www.radioandrecords.com

Archived