Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoffs!?!?!....Not what you think

ahnicaricoohh

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I realize this would probably be widely up popular because it would really harm division rivalries IMO but the artice makes a good arguement, I know the NFC is weak this year but.... well what do you guys think

ESPN.Com Page 2: Time for a new playoff format

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2701560&type=Page2Story&imagesPrint=off&type=Page2Story&imagesPrint=off

Once again the NFL is hurtling toward weak teams reaching the playoffs while strong teams clean out their lockers for next season. This isn't funny -- and the solution is to make the NFL postseason a seeded tournament. What would happen if the NFL postseason was a seeded tournament? Games would be better and public interest would increase, that's all.

Last season 11-5 Chicago enjoyed a first-round bye and then played at home, while 12-4 Jacksonville got no .......

Man I just wish that people would stop complaining. I would support this only if the idea of conferences were eliminated, which I do not see happening. Without that AFC versus the NFC you could make it a seeded thing, but while having conferences you have to be the best in your conference. Period. There will come a time when the NFC will not be the weaker conference and this argument will emerge again. In the meantime, just shut up and win. You know the format. It has been the same for quite a while now. Win or go home. Period. Sheesh!

I don't like the league-wide seeding thing because it would take away from winning a tough division with a bad record.

Let's assume the NFC East was everything it was cracked up to be and the Giants won it with a 9-7 record. Should they be seeded far below a team that played a much easier schedule and didn't even win its division?

Also, from conference to conference, who's to say that an 8-8 team in the NFC isn't as good as a 9-7 team in the AFC? What if a handful of teams are compiling good records because 4 or 5 teams are REALLY bad in the AFC while the NFC is more balanced?

Basically, if you go strictly record-driven, you are being way too one-dimensional. I like the fact that winning your division guarantees you a playoff appearance AND a home game...I think that's deserved. I also like segregating the two conferences...it allows a true Super Bowl at the end and also allows things to work themselves out properly.

I just think too many people are worried about the wild cards these days. To me, the idea is to reward the two best teams per conference that didn't win their division, not just the 4 teams in the NFL with the next best records. Those are two different things.

Keep it the way it is. 100% of the people/teams arent gonna be happy...EVER...in any sport.

Your gonna have some people who will feel or appear to get shafted for whatever reason. U cant keep flipping the format around to try and chase the past years foul ups (such as Jax 12-4 earning them a road game while Chi got a home game+bye).

The PERFECT playoff scenario will never exist. By meaning "Perfect" im saying that the NFC and AFC will never both have the equal # of teams with the same records...for example - the NFC & AFC will never EACH have two 13-3's, two 12-4's & two 10-6's. -- its just not gonna work out like that in most cases.

But to take it one step further....the records can be thrown out. Just look at the Steelers who were 11-5 last year. They were behind Jax/Cincy/Colts & Denver record wise but won the whole thing. Point is the team with the best record doesnt win the whole thing each year. Once the playoffs begin you throw out the regular season record.

The PERFECT playoff scenario will never exist. By meaning "Perfect" im saying that the NFC and AFC will never both have the equal # of teams with the same records...for example - the NFC & AFC will never EACH have two 13-3's, two 12-4's & two 10-6's. -- its just not gonna work out like that in most cases.

People would still complain, even if that happened. Say one of the 12-4 teams was Jacksonville, while one of the 13-3 teams was Indy.

Since Jax didn't win the division, they'd still open up on the road against a 10-6 division champion.

Easterbrook just has to ramble about something to make his 35,000 word article every week.......

People would still complain, even if that happened. Say one of the 12-4 teams was Jacksonville, while one of the 13-3 teams was Indy.

Since Jax didn't win the division, they'd still open up on the road against a 10-6 division champion.

Easterbrook just has to ramble about something to make his 35,000 word article every week.......

True...what im saying is that the 13-3's were division winners...the 12-4's were the other two division winners. Then the 10-6's were the wildcard's.

Im trying to say that the most PERFECT situation will never happen......it seems to sound like the complainers are expecting the perfect scenario to occur to validate the current playoff system...or just want to complain cuz their bored.

It already is a seeded tournament. The top two seeds in each conference get first round byes and the rest play until they lose. My only change would be that each division have a wild card in additon to the champion. That means a 16 team playoff and no byes or an off week before the Super Bowl. The first seed in each conference would play the last seed and so on based solely on record with the only stipulation being that division champions always play wild cards at home regardless of comparative records.

It already is a seeded tournament. The top two seeds in each conference get first round byes and the rest play until they lose. My only change would be that each division have a wild card in additon to the champion. That means a 16 team playoff and no byes or an off week before the Super Bowl. The first seed in each conference would play the last seed and so on based solely on record with the only stipulation being that division champions always play wild cards at home regardless of comparative records.

I don't like that...I think the playoffs are too watered down as it is!

I would almost prefer if, now that there are four divisions in each conference, only division winners made it.

8 teams at the end for all the marbles. That would be pretty cool. I know it won't happen, but that's OK.

Edit: If the NFL ever expanded to an 18-game season, I believe this is how they'd do the playoffs so cut down on how long the season would run. This playoff structure would eliminate a round and the bye week for the top seeds.

Divisional Playoff (1 vs. 4 & 2 vs. 3)

Championship Game

Super Bowl

2 teams with 4-5 records went to the playoffs in the strike shortened 1982 season.

I know we did win the Superbowl that year but imagine if a team in a full season, however unlikely, were to make the playoffs at 7-9 or worse while teams in the other conference with 10-6 records or better did not go

edit: I think the NFL was embaressed enough with the strike that they just wanted to get back on track

I don't like the league-wide seeding thing because it would take away from winning a tough division with a bad record.

Let's assume the NFC East was everything it was cracked up to be and the Giants won it with a 9-7 record. Should they be seeded far below a team that played a much easier schedule and didn't even win its division?

Also, from conference to conference, who's to say that an 8-8 team in the NFC isn't as good as a 9-7 team in the AFC? What if a handful of teams are compiling good records because 4 or 5 teams are REALLY bad in the AFC while the NFC is more balanced?

Basically, if you go strictly record-driven, you are being way too one-dimensional. I like the fact that winning your division guarantees you a playoff appearance AND a home game...I think that's deserved. I also like segregating the two conferences...it allows a true Super Bowl at the end and also allows things to work themselves out properly.

I just think too many people are worried about the wild cards these days. To me, the idea is to reward the two best teams per conference that didn't win their division, not just the 4 teams in the NFL with the next best records. Those are two different things.

I agree with this. Before the season, EVERYONE was saying how the NFC would be tougher overall, especially the East and South, with the teams all beating up on each other. That's pretty much what happened....but as a result, their records aren't as good (or as bad) as the AFC that has more clearly defined good, average, and bad teams.

I like the format how it is.

Each team could play 2 teams (2 teams from their own division incuded) out of every division in the league, equaling 16 games. Or maybe they should shorten the preseason games by 1 and make it a 17 game season. That way each team can play their divisional foes at least once each year. Or eliminate a second team from each division each year, but still play each team from your own division every year (GOTTA play the cowpukes at least once every year). Then start seeding for each conference come playoff time. The process for tie breaking could still be the same, but without a divisional step.

This is the best argument to keep it the way it is. Why should a team in the NFC East get penalized when Chicago can wipe up the NFC North every year. 6 easy wins for them. I agree, keep it the way it is.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what team had the best record to never make the playoffs? I think Denver went 11-5 in Elway's rookie year but failed to make it.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos#Trivia

The Broncos currently hold the best season record for a team that did not make the playoffs that year. Their 1985 team went 11-5, but lost out in tiebreakers for the last wild card spot. Meanwhile, the Cleveland Browns that same year finished 8-8, but since they won the AFC Central division, they got an automatic spot in the playoffs

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos#Trivia

The Broncos currently hold the best season record for a team that did not make the playoffs that year. Their 1985 team went 11-5, but lost out in tiebreakers for the last wild card spot. Meanwhile, the Cleveland Browns that same year finished 8-8, but since they won the AFC Central division, they got an automatic spot in the playoffs

Now that is something I would change..if there was at least a 3 game difference in records, I'd give the slot to an at-large team instead of a division champ.

I wonder if that 1985 Denver team was an impetus to change the playoff format. At the time, only the 3 division champs and 2 wild cards went from each conference.

Archived