Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoffs!?!?!....Not what you think

ahnicaricoohh

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Man I just wish that people would stop complaining. I would support this only if the idea of conferences were eliminated, which I do not see happening. Without that AFC versus the NFC you could make it a seeded thing, but while having conferences you have to be the best in your conference. Period. There will come a time when the NFC will not be the weaker conference and this argument will emerge again. In the meantime, just shut up and win. You know the format. It has been the same for quite a while now. Win or go home. Period. Sheesh!

No more no less...Anything more will be uncivilized.:cool:

Because you asked:

I'm against the change. The argument that interest would be heightened by teams with better records and not division winners means that some teams would know by game 8 that hope of the post-season was over for them. Now you have fans of several teams stll intrested in the weekly contests because they have not been mathematically eliminated. So I guess the decision -making process would also include the question of which interest is better to generate: the weekly interest in a number of comparatively mediocre teams, or the post-season interest.

I would say that post-season already has sufficient interest and the owners would opt for keeping the fan interest in the regular season high.

Although the post about a Skins-Cowboys Super Bowl certainly made me think, the way the league is run, they'd make the Skins play the Super Bowl on two days rest after the 'Boys played some Wednesday afternoon contest 10 days prior after a bye week.

I still remember the 49ers playing the 'powerhouse' teams of Atlanta, New Orleans, and the LA Rams (memories go way back) who together only had 15 wins for a season, and the 49ers would claim their greatness because their record reflected 6 games a year where they could start the cheerleders and win by 20. During that same stretch the Skins played the Giants and the 'Boys, who had 3 or 4 superbowls at the time. You'll have divisions like what San Fran had. I still think the current system is better than what's proposed.

the only problem i have with the playoff format isnt even a huge one but there is just one flaw and thats if a team wins the Division they are automatically in

i think that no team with worse then a 7-9 record should be in the playoffs AT ALL so if u win the Division at 6-10 god i hope this dosnt happen anytime soon but you shouldnt make the playoffs

the only problem i have with the playoff format isnt even a huge one but there is just one flaw and thats if a team wins the Division they are automatically in

i think that no team with worse then a 7-9 record should be in the playoffs AT ALL so if u win the Division at 6-10 god i hope this dosnt happen anytime soon but you shouldnt make the playoffs

They won't change it unless it happens. Believe me, if it did happen they would change it. The outcry would be tremendous.

I like Easterbrook, but this is a dopey arguement. The fact is, every team plays a different schedule than pretty much every other team. The only teams with comparable schedules play in the same division as the other teams. Therefore, the only way you can look at two team's records and determine which team is the "best" is by looking at your division. If 11-5 Jacksonville wanted to host a plyoff game last year, they should have won their division. As it is, they went into New England and got exposed for what they were - a good (not great) team that got by on an easier schedule. There is no way you caould look at NE's schedule last year and look at JAX's and say they faced equivalent slates.

This isn't like college football, where a team can run a ridiculous record up and get shut-out of the championship picture because they didn't play in the right division (like Boise State). Every team gets the opportunity to win the championship, and if they don't, they have only themselves to blame. Any team that gets left out of the playoffs could have gotten in by simply winning their division.

Honestly, I'd just as soon they got rid of wildcards altogether.

I like the system the way it is currently.

The rivalries are great in the division level. What if we got rid of divisions, and schedules were completely random 16 games? What would that do to rivalries? That would suck.

Similar argument can be made for conferences. Remember the historic playoff battles in the 80s and 90s? Redskins-Cowboys, Redskins-49ers, Redskins-Bears, 49ers-Cowboys in the NFC? Who wouldn't like to see Patriots-Colts, Steelers-Colts, etc in the playoffs this year? The NFL is cyclical, and someday the NFC will be the 'powerhouse' again and the AFC will slip.

I also think that you lose some of the history and meaning behind the Super Bowl if you eliminate the conferences. You lose the history of the NFL-AFL rivalry, and that would be a shame. I'm not interested in the possibility of a Panthers-Bucs Super Bowl either, sorry.

I disagree. Whatever record is good enough to win your division should be good enough to get you in the playoffs.

You might play in the best division and lose 4 division games...does that really mean a team that coasts in a bad division deserves to supplant you as a playoff team?

The problem with making rules based on number of wins or records is that it's too superficial. You can't actually use logic to determine why a team is 8-8...

The NFL at this point doesn't have to worry about people turning away from the playoffs. This is the most lucrative sports league, and people are going to watch the playoffs and the Super Bowl no matter what. There is no need for a change, and I really don't believe the actual league would consider one.

Archived