Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cox, Verizon FIOS, or DirecTV, need help (UPDATE)

Coooleeey

I currently have Cox, Two boxes, one straight digital the other Digital DVR and HD. I don't have movie channels just HD added on. I also have internet service through them. So far they have been pretty dependable but now they are getting pricey. It started off as $91 a month, is now at $114, and will be $130 or 140 after this month. The price increase is as a result of introductory packages expiring.

I need help deciding what to get instead of this. For emergency purposes I need to have a land line. My buddy has FIOS through Verizon and loves it. He has the same set up as me and so far enjoys their additional HD channels. Phone, Highspeed, and HDTV for about $120 a month.

Would anyone recommend DirecTV instead of this? I could get phone and DSL bundled through Cavalier or someone else and just get the satellite for TV.

Sorry for writing so much. I'm just looking for actual experiences with each service and recommendations.

Stick with Cox. It's worth the price.

I had Comcast, which is pretty much identical to Cox, and I switched to DirectTV a couple of weeks ago. Hell I even started a thread about it. Now, however, I'm wishing I hadn't. DirectTV sucks. The DVR sucks. It doesn't have as many HD channels as Comcast. Most importantly, for me, it doesn't have OnDemand, which I absolutely love. If the whole thing wasn't so much of a hassle I would already have switched back. The one benefit of DirectTV is that the non-HD channels look better on the big screen then they did on Comcast. :2cents:

I lived in Springfield and as far as I know FIOS isn't available. They passed some thing to start installing it in Springfield awhile ago but still nothing. If I'm wrong about that let me know.

Let me know how your installs go with FIOS because I am really pushing for that. I know its available in my neighborhood, a VZ rep went door to door after it was installed letting people know.

I hear you born a skins fan and I read your thread which is what sparked this one. I haven't heard too many good things about satellite so I'm sort of moving away from it.

As a little more background on the subject, I used to work for Cavalier Telephone in Richmond and was a tester when they started testing their IPTV service. It sucked really bad so I'm weary of going to VZ for service since its a little bit of the same infrastructure.

FIOS...it's the best thing out there right now. No service interruptions, the Internet is fast as Hell, and the picture on the TV looks great.

So you haven't had trouble changing b/t channels or service interruptions? What about a grainy picture? Have you had someone on the internet messing around while watching TV?

Sorry to grill you :D

I currently have Cox, Two boxes, one straight digital the other Digital DVR and HD. I don't have movie channels just HD added on. I also have internet service through them. So far they have been pretty dependable but now they are getting pricey. It started off as $91 a month, is now at $114, and will be $130 or 140 after this month. The price increase is as a result of introductory packages expiring.

I need help deciding what to get instead of this. For emergency purposes I need to have a land line. My buddy has FIOS through Verizon and loves it. He has the same set up as me and so far enjoys their additional HD channels. Phone, Highspeed, and HDTV for about $120 a month.

Would anyone recommend DirecTV instead of this? I could get phone and DSL bundled through Cavalier or someone else and just get the satellite for TV.

Sorry for writing so much. I'm just looking for actual experiences with each service and recommendations.

I have Comcast and its okay. I wish I could get FIOs to my house. I am hearing great things from people who have experience with it.

One thing that seems to stick out is that most people say that their HI-Def is not a grainy. One guy told me thats its not HD-DVD quality, but not far off.

Hope this helps.

FIOS. I switched over a couple of months ago from Comcast and couldn't be happier. You actually get a better HD picture with FIOS than you would with cable or sat. Reason being is that you are getting a digital signal directly to your house. With cable you get digital up to the box in your yard and from there it's an analog signal to the house so you lose some signal strength. I also now have more HD channels than i did with Comcast as well as a bunch of digital channels I didn't have with them. The internet speed is blazing fast as well. And the price is right.

Sounds like FIOS is winning!

If I could get it down here in the sticks, I definately would. All I have heard are good things about it.

Now, since I can't get it, I have DISH Network. I think it is great. I've heard people say they have had trouble getting signal in rain and such, but that is probably poor installation, wiring issues, or not having the dish in the right spot for the best signal. I've only lost signal once in the years I've had it.

Now up there in NOVA, the digital cable may be better than down here. As it stands now though, you would have to pay ME to use digital cable. There aren't enough channels, only the ones you pay for are digital (movie channels and such), and digital cable is expensive as hell.

Down here, the cable modem sucks too.

The best switch I ever made was dropping cable and going to DISH and DSL. Now if FIOS ever makes it down here, I'm dropping them both to go to that!

So...if you can't go with FIOS, I'd go with satellite and DSL.

I heard FIOS is great if they can install it. This was the third trip that was planned but still are having issues, turns out the guy down the street installed it but for some reason it is pointing to my address, a complete clusterf if you ask me.

I think comcast is making my pay for wanted to leave, now i the wait continues..... :(

I will just say this: The only reliable internet service in Flagstaff is Qwest. No major cable company operates here really. The Qwest DSL sucks and the cable company "Cablevision" sucks. The "Cheetah" company cable internet sucks.

Moving from MD to here was great, but it really makes you appreciate Comcast.

I will just say this: The only reliable internet service in Flagstaff is Qwest. No major cable company operates here really. The Qwest DSL sucks and the cable company "Cablevision" sucks. The "Cheetah" company cable internet sucks.

Moving from MD to here was great, but it really makes you appreciate Comcast.

I don't even want to hear about qwest... I just dropped them as DS3 provider for business. bleh

FIOS is available in my neighborhood - but after doing some digging and researching I'm staying w/ Comcast. Pity - I was looking forward to FIOS.

My main complaint is the bundling of the TV, Internet and phone. I'll give them the phone and Internet....but not the TV. My understanding is that for every TV you have to have a box (which they will rent you).

Our house doesn't have any high def TV's - so that is not important to us....but what we lack in quality - we make up for in quantity.....We have 5 TVs and 2 computers w/ tuners....all needing the boxes. Additionally - we live and die by our two Tivos - I've heard people have had problems w/ Fios and tivos.

Reluctantly - I'm passing on FIOS - if they would let me split the package - I'd hop on board.....

I don't even want to hear about qwest... I just dropped them as DS3 provider for business. bleh

Ah someone else knows! Awful arent they? I used to play a lot of online PC games but ****...I get a 90-100 ping to Dallas servers...from Arizona, thats just terrible. Ping is 75+ to LA. It should be about 40. Ugh.

Archived