Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN:Arrington Rips Union and Skins!!! (Merged)

Monkart

Typical Lavar. Can the guy take any personal responsibility?

First it was the Redskins who were so mean to him. Now the NFLPA was "unfair" for suspending an incompotent agent, who, in any other job, would have been fired.

My question is why didn't Lavar read his freakin' contract. I know I don't depend on my real estate agent, mortgage broker, insurance agent, or car salesman to tell me what's in the contract. If Lavar is so educated and smart, as he always says, you would think he would have read it.

I don't know if it's true about the 6.5 mil.

I really do find it hard to believe that the Skins would do that, I really do.

The one rep the Redskins/Snyder have never had is one of being cheap.

Either way, the Poston's are the villans in this one. Either they lied to LaVar about the 6.5 mil in the contract OR they were negligent in their duties by having him sign that contract without looking it over.

Sorry LA, love ya man but you're on the wrong side of the argument this time.

The only taking up for the agent comes in at them suspending him with out an investigation or trial.

Either the Redskins knew what they were doing or they need to hire a better person to type out contracts, because you just don't forget to put in that much money. Poston was a goof to not read over it. As most of us have said before.

So the blame goes both ways, but guess who gets to look like the bad guy.....................The player.

For all future NFL players out there, take some sports management classes.

On another note, I see a lot of people on here talking about how dumb the player is for not reading the contract, I don't know how many of you own homes but tell me, how many of you read the contracts that you signed?? All of them............................I know I damn sure didn't because if I did we would still be sitting there, and I closed on my house a good while ago.

Therefore it IS the agents job to read over it, if the player wants to and has about a month or so of free time then it would be cool, but let's place the blame where it should be.

The agent, and this your wonderful organization....................I wonder since then how many times they have left things out of a contract that we don't know about....and the other agent cought it?????

C'mon now, this is all Arringtons fault. You'd think somebody would read the final draft of a multi million dollar contract before signing it.
THANK you. If you are too stupid to read a contract, even if you have to take the damn thing home with you, DON'T sign it. He listened to the Postons and signed without reading: ALL LAVAR'S Fault. I wouldn't sign a contract for 1 million without reading it, even if it was 30 pages long.

THANK you. If you are too stupid to read a contract, even if you have to take the damn thing home with you, DON'T sign it. He listened to the Postons and signed without reading: ALL LAVAR'S Fault. I wouldn't sign a contract for 1 million without reading it, even if it was 30 pages long.

If you do that, then that's wonderful on your part. Therefore you don't need an agent!!!!!

Others that have some faith in their agent might not, and probably have not, because of that faith.

It's funny how we all can sit here and say, "I would have done this" or "We should have picked someone else"

You people are funny, at the time it was a good move, and had we not gotten him and he played well somewhere else it would have been................"we shoud have gotten Arrington"

Bottom line, blame the agent Lavar, and still know that the Redskins did some dirty crap too!!!

Do you realize how much agents get paid to handle contract negotiations? It was entirely realistic for Arrington to believe that someone who had handled hundreds of large contracts in the past (including his own) could have completed the contract negotiations with no issues. Although I agree that he should have looked it over, there is ABSOLUTELY no way that someone who doesn't handle contracts as part of their profession could understand an NFL contract. I also believe that he honestly had faith in the Skins front office (to pay him the $6.5 that was apparently verbally agreed upon before the contract was signed), and that his faith in them was broken by their tactics. I mean, really, our front office hasn't exactly done a bang-up job the past few years.....

Arrington is pissed at the Redskins because they first screwed him out of $6.5 million and then made him PAY to get out of town. I think you would be pissed, too.

And que in Lavar for the woe is me and the Skins FO is the big bad guy script.

Why not? We all know now that it is completely true. The FO and the coaches have gotten too big for their collective britches.

Here are a qoute from a rather interesting article about our defensive fall from grace. "

So what you have, according to one Redskins player, is a fractured defense that isn't playing passionately for Williams anymore. After making examples of Pierce, Smoot, Arrington, Harris, Clark, Stoutmire -- and now Carter, Archuleta and Rogers -- the morale appears beyond repair. "

Click here for full article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668

From PFT (for those of you who hate PFT, trust me, this is a fairly good rundown of the situation).

Hard to defend Lavar in any way shape or form really. Why in the hell would we give him (even ingorning the cap ramifications) two IDENTICAL $6.5 million bonuses instead of a single $13 million bonus is beyond me. But hey, Snyder's the Devil, right?

ARRINGTON PLAYS MAFIA CARD ON NFLPA

As he prepares to testify before Congress regarding the manner in which the NFL Players Association handled the suspension of agent Carl Poston, Giants linebacker LaVar Arrington has compared the union to the mafia.

"They suspended him without a hearing, the NFLPA," Arrington said. "If you are educated and you pay attention to what is going on around you, they do a lot of foul stuff. It's like organized crime, to be honest with you. They are bad."

Though we've disagreed with plenty of things the union has done over the years -- and despite the fact that NFLPA general counsel Richard Berthelsen won't talk to us anymore -- we are of the opinion that Arrington's words are the product of a guy with a low Wonderlic score who has been brainwashed by his agents into believing: (1) that they know what they're doing; and (2) that anyone who criticizes or questions them is evil.

We believe that Carl Poston committed two grievous errors as to Arrington over the past several years. First, he failed to read the final draft of a contract extension with the Redskins, which as he ultimately alleged omitted a $6.5 million roster bonus that the Redskins had promised to include. Second, he allowed Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned but unpaid bonus money in order to hit the free-agent market, where he languished as all of the big money was spent.

Regarding the phantom roster bonus, our guess is that Poston didn't communicate the terms properly to Arrington, and that when he started asking questions and/or poking around the contract Poston cooked up the bogus claim that the deal was missing a $6.5 million roster bonus for 2006. Indeed, the deal already had a $6.5 million roster bonus for 2006, and two of them would have meant a minimum cap charge of $13.0 million for the current cap year.

To help make their frivolous claim fly, Carl Poston claimed that he didn't read the final draft. Which, in turn, gave the union all the evidence that it needed to justify acting against him.

But because Arrington isn't the sharpest bulb in the drawer, he still believes that the Redskins told Poston that Arrington would receive $13 million in roster bonus money in 2006, and that the Redskins intentionally and deliberately omitted half of the money.

"I guess when they sent that, there was deception involved from the start and I guess they were hoping to bank on that and they got away with it," Arrington said. "I had no reason to believe at that time that if you are going to give me an eight-year contract and you are going to sit there and rob me, but that's the type of organization it is."

(At this point, we're tempted to pose to Arrington the question that Tom Jackson asked Michael Irvin on the first Sunday of the 2006 regular season. But we think we already know the answer.)

The irony, of course, is that Arrington didn't receive the $6.5 million roster bonus, and wouldn't have gotten the other one, either. The Redskins decided in 2005 that it was time for Arrington to go.

And the notion that Poston would later allow Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned money for the right to become a free agent in February instead of before July 15, the date on which the original 2006 $6.5 million roster bonus came due, was preposterous to us, for two reasons. First, Poston agreed to allow Arrington to give up the money at a time when the status of the CBA was still up in the air. Without an extension, the cap charge for keeping Arrington was less than the cap hit for cutting him, before or after June 1. Once the extension was done, however, the Redskins were less desperate for cap space, and they might have opted to cut him loose before June 1 without any rebate -- especially since the new CBA allows a team to dump two guys before June 1 and to process the move financially as a more cap-friendly post-June 1 cut.

As to the suspension of Poston without a hearing, Arrington should talk to Carl about the multiple efforts to delay his day of reckoning by claiming an inability to attend the hearing. Indeed, we've recently heard that Poston again was a late scratch from yet another effort to conduct a hearing on the original two-year suspension.

So maybe Arrington is just dumb. Or maybe he doesn't want to look dumb to his teammates by acknowledging that Poston has done a substandard job for him. Or maybe Arrington gets a piece of the fee generated by any guys that he refers to the Postons. (We've never heard that the Postons do this, but we've heard of other agents who do.)

Regardless of the reason, Arrington is living in a dream world if he thinks that Poston doesn't deserve some type of discipline.

Bottom line -- the NFLPA might need a kick in the butt or two, but Poston simply isn't the guy to swing the shoe.

Where in the article did he rip the Redskins?

"I guess when they sent that, there was deception involved from the start and I guess they were hoping to bank on that and they got away with it," Arrington said.

Neither Arrington nor Poston noticed the error. Arrington signed the contract.

"I had no reason to believe at that time that if you are going to give me an eight-year contract and you are going to sit there and rob me, but that's the type of organization it is," Arrington said in another blatant shot at the Redskins.

"adding he felt the Redskins and the players association were in cahoots in getting Poston suspended."

I'm sorry, was this a pat on the back???

i was speaking of the draft. He was a no brainer in the draft at the #2 spot.!!!

I understand and I stated he was not a no brainer at the #2 spot.

less expensive very talented options? HUH. What are you talking about, i was only refering to when the Skins drafted him not this year when they let him walk...which was a no brainer too by the way!!!
I was speaking of the draft as well. Less expensive in salary and draft picks!

I do agree it was a no brainer to let Lavar walk!

Most draft summaries of Lavar mentioned immature, lack of discipline and poise, at times hard to coach and control, freelancer and takes dumb penalties.

I was disappointed when they made the trade to acquire the #3 pick. The Redskins had many holes to fill and the trade removed opportunity to fill. I was however happy that they addressed a defensive need. They traded away the 12th and 24th pick. Along with an OT, the Skins needed 2 LB's, DL, a #3 CB, and an OG.

They could have had LB's Keith Bulluck or Julian Peterson, and DE's Darren Howard and Shaun Ellis or DT Chris Hovan (who graded high, looked good and played well when first drafted). These were only a few options, but at the time, would have been my options with Urlacher and Simon off the board.

I am not a fan of taking the top picks in a draft. There are just as many mid to late first round picks that become quality players as there are early picks, yet the cost less. I have firmly believed a team builds its nucleus in rounds 2-5. The more picks in these rounds, the more all around team you have. The team however, must have a good scouting department;stable coaching, have a master plan and draft as much as possible to best available player. Teams that do this for an extended period end out rarely drafting in the top ten, often having late first round picks. They then pick the best quality that falls. Depending on the draft, these teams often find themselves with the top rated OG, C, TE, S and get stronger.

By drafting to needs only, you often draft players higher than you have them graded for or are forced to trade up, giving away valuable picks.

This is the part that really says that Poston SUCKS!!!

Upshaw said Poston had 14 days to review the contract after it was signed and he didn't discover the error.

Two ****ing weeks and they didn't catch it?????? So the FO didn't put it in there, knowing that they wouldn't catch it for 14 days. Yeah OK, Right!!! :doh: :doh:

Archived