Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Exciting free agent signings?

beaves

It was'nt so long ago that we were being extremely agressive in the free agency market, very excited about the talent coming on board.

Have the more celebrated signings lived up to their potential, or should we have resigned players like Ryan Clark and Walt Harris?

:dallasuck

Redo of Last Years FA:

Get ARE: but don't pay him quite as much

Resign Clark

Don't Trade for Lloyd

Don't Sign Arch

Don't Sign Fauria

Don't Trade for Duckett

Resign Harris

Resign Robert Royal

Get Carter: but don't pay him quite as much (I think he is going to work out)

Redo of Last Years FA:

Get ARE: but don't pay him quite as much

Resign Clark

Don't Trade for Lloyd

Don't Sign Arch

Don't Sign Fauria

Don't Trade for Duckett

Resign Harris

Resign Robert Royal

Get Carter: but don't pay him quite as much (I think he is going to work out)

Hindsight is amazing though. I agree with this list pretty much, but I would not have resigned Robert Royal, Walt Harris, or Warrick Holdman last year. I was rooting for Clark, but I could understand the wish to upgrade. The Duckett move made sense if they really thought we were on a Superbowl run. I think they had visions of the KC offense with the last two year's Redskins D. That was what we were all hoping/wanting to see.

I dont think ARE would have settled for anything less

You may be right, but of course that was what his agent wanted the Redskins to think.....our FO never bids for players in a fashion where there is any chance they would say no....they need to make good solid offers, but leave open the posibility that the player may choose another team....

We see it now because it's in hindsight.

Last year Walt Harris was considered by most here to be a complete bust.

How soon everyone forgets...I dont care if hes having the greatest season in the history of cornerbacks in SF(which hes not), the fact is he was TERRIBLE with us. He was what Carlos Rogers is today, toast. Think back to the 1st Tampa game, he got beat, badly I might add, for i believe 3 TD's. That guy was worthless. Come on guys, just because the office has made a couple bad decisions this year, dont act like Harris was one of them. Hindsight is always 20/20.:2cents:

We HAD to upgrade at Receiver, Moss needed a legit number 2. Although ARE and Lloyds numbers aren't good, they are legit threats that the defense needs to account for.

We need to start stock piling good draft picks and build with good young talent. Golston and Montgomery are starts as well as Rocky. But we have no good young talent on the O-Line or the secondary. We need a stud draft pick at corner and corn fed O-Lineman and a speed rush DE.

We need some players that are out to prove a point at cornerback...not another high priced guy.

Fred Smoot and Ken Lucas have both been benched on their team and I hope they want out, because they could be had a decent price and they are out to prove that they can be a starter...we could take a look at Asanta Samuel, he plays for Billichik which means he's probably smart, he will also have paloff experience...

Harris is no better than Kenny Wright. Both are great nickel CB's for us, but not much more. Sure I guess he is having more picks in SF, probably cause teams know they can pass on the 49ers. You throw the ball more at someone, they have more chances for picks (in our case, Carlos just keeps dropping them).

Now if we did not trade for Lloyd, and saved that WR, we would have gone o-line, CB, or WR at that slot. I would not have minded getting Maurice Stovall in the 3rd round, sure he hasn't played much in Tampa, but he seemed like the perfect big body complement to Moss. We could have signed Antonio Bryant instead and gone CB/O-line and definitely could have gotten a great o-line guy for depth or probably an eventual nickel CB that could replace Springs next year.

This is exactly why keeping draft picks is better, eventually you can be like the Bears and splurge on a guy like Devin Hester. We signed ARE, who is just as good, but the overall point is we could have splurged on someone for depth that could eventually start. That was our philosophy with drafting Smoot in the 2nd round back in 2001, Champ and Darrell Green coulda played well still, but nah, lets just be sure.

Archived