Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: GIBBS/parcells back in 2007

skinsngibbs4life

I know that we have seen PFT articles stating this in the past, but this seems more official, and was posted TODAY.

Take it for what its worth...

POSTED 11:13 a.m. EST, December 4, 2006

PARCELLS, GIBBS BACK FOR 2007

The prevailing sentiment in league circles is that Cowboys coach Bill Parcells and Redskins coach Joe Gibbs will return to their respective teams in 2007, despite rampant speculation and rumor earlier in the year regarding the possibility that one or both would pack it in.

Parcells is having a rebirth of sorts in Big D, with a 5-1 record since making the switch from Drew Bledsoe to Tony Romo sits to pee at quarterback, a decision made by Parcells. The Tuna had another personnel move vindicated on Sunday when the team's new kicker, Martin "Hamburglar" Gramatica nailed three field goals, including the game winner, against the Giants.

Despite Terrell Owens' comments from last week questioning the decision to dump former kicker Mike Vanderjagt, T.O. has been generally well behaved since Romo sits to pee got the gig, even though Owens has been anything but the focal point of the offense of late.

So there's a good feeling right now around the organization, and the sense is that Parcells has another season left in him. If not more.

The only caveat, as we understand it, is this: If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, Parcells will ride off into the sunset.

As to Gibbs, the chances of a fourth Super Bowl are remote. But he'll get another shot in 2007 as he returns for the fourth season of his second stint with the team. There also is ongoing talk and speculation in league circles that, if/when Gibbs calls it quits, Redskins owner Dan Snyder will make a run at Steelers coach Bill Cowher.

Personally I think there is much more of a chance in Parcells leaving. It seems evident that he is throwing all the eggs in the basket this year to try and win a championship. A lot of analysts are pointing out how he is not being as much as an authoritarian as usual, and he has basically given in to Jerry Jones for 2006 and hopes that all his compromising leads to a Superbowl in 2006.

Personally I think there is much more of a chance in Parcells leaving. It seems evident that he is throwing all the eggs in the basket this year to try and win a championship. A lot of analysts are pointing out how he is not being as much as an authoritarian as usual, and he has basically given in to Jerry Jones for 2006 and hopes that all his compromising leads to a Superbowl in 2006.

throwing all the eggs in the basket this year? they have a VERY young team. And as much as it pains me to say, their defense is going to be top 5 for years to come. and with Romo sits to pee now, their offense cant be that bad either. He has no reason to pack it up after comepletly turning that team around

As to Gibbs, the chances of a fourth Super Bowl are remote. But he'll get another shot in 2007 as he returns for the fourth season of his second stint with the team. There also is ongoing talk and speculation in league circles that, if/when Gibbs calls it quits, Redskins owner Dan Snyder will make a run at Steelers coach Bill Cowher.

I'd be perfectly happy with Cowher as the head coach of the Redskins. Except for the fact that it would naturally mean the loss of Gibbs, I don't know why I get the sense that people on this board don't want Cowher in D.C. (Not talking about you specifically, but a general sentiment from other threads.)

Based on Gibbs' vague comments today, and that pretty much everyone believes the rumor that Snyder wants to go for Cowher, I wonder how Gibbs feels about becoming team President (which he was planning on doing anyway?) and bringing in Cowher as head coach.
I'd be perfectly happy with Cowher as the head coach of the Redskins. Except for the fact that it would naturally mean the loss of Gibbs, I don't know why I get the sense that people on this board don't want Cowher in D.C. (Not talking about you specifically, but a general sentiment from other threads.)

well, cowher has already stated that he wants to take a year or so off from football before coming back.

I could see Gibbs coaching another year or two, steeping down, and then having Cowher come in after him

Well, if this happens, and I for one would be happy to have Bill Cowher as the next Redskins HC, payroll will have to write out a $1,000,000 check to one Mr. Greg Williams. That was a clause in his new contract... But, I guess throwing away another million is no bid deal for Snyder... If fact, after he hands him the check, his ass would be gone because he'd be pissed he was passed over for the job, and would leave the Redskins organization.

I want Redskins football, not Steeler football even if the two are rather similar. Looking at this year, Cowher has that same reluctance to bench people as well. With a good backup QB like Batch, there was no reason to keep their injured, disease ridden, starter with a concussion playing for those first few losing weeks.

As much as I take no credence in PFT, I wouldn't doubt this at all.

Both have found new life in their QB positions, and I doubt they'd want to leave without sticking around to see how it plays out next year.

see, neither coach has not even hinted they won't return next year all seaspn

yet PFT reported they wouldn't come back... now it is news that they aren't quiting????

sorry, this is why PFT is such a joke

Parcell is not leaving. He's got a gold mine of a team so you would be an idiot to leave. Now Gibbs, he'll probably leave after this year. He can't stomach going against Parcell for two more years after what Dallas has built. I think that's why he retired in 92 b/c he did not want to coach against Dallas anymore.

I'd prefer the Skins get a young coach that could fire up the team after Joe retires to the FO or wherever. I'd like to see this organization hire/sign someone NOT high profile for once in my life.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

My thoughts exactly. Give me a hungry, detail-oriented, strike-fear-in-players-heart, innovative offensive coordinator who has never been to a Super Bowl

ie. Joe Gibbs circa 1980.

You couldn't be more wrong with statement, Dallas isn't the one with cap hell facing them or a roster full of old players...Big Bill did a great job of building our team for the future....

You couldn't be more wrong with statement, Dallas isn't the one with cap hell facing them or a roster full of old players...Big Bill did a great job of building our team for the future....

while I agree with you about BP building up their team, you lost ALL credibility when you uttered the words "cap hell"

go crawl back into your cave now

Archived