Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shockey on Romo: "A very average quarterback"

Redfaced21

First published: Monday, December 4, 2006.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Nobody likes losers. That's why nobody names airports after Michael Dukakis or stadiums after Ray Handley. The Giants aren't the most popular team after losing to the Cowboys, but it's not just the avalanche of displeasure and disappointment in a team that has lost four consecutive games. It's this, too:

The Giants are unlikable.

We fall for some teams' resilience and spirit. We admire others for their talent and professionalism, their individual players' character and abilities or some combination of these traits. But only a mother could love these Giants. Somebody blind to their failings and faults could find this team appealing, though it's not.

It starts with the coach. I may be in the minority because I consider Tom Coughlin a good one, but he's not doing a good job this year. The Giants committed three personal fouls Sunday and nine penalties, for 94 yards, altogether. If Bob Whitfield wasn't losing his composure and head-butting somebody, Jason Bell was delivering an out-of-bounds hit. It's great that Plaxico Burress felt engaged enough to hit someone. It would've been better if it hadn't been a cheap shot.

This stuff happens a lot. It's fine to be a stern disciplinarian, but then your team sure had better play with discipline. It's hard to like a coach with the personality of a footlocker when his team's composure goes AWOL.

Then there's Jeremy Shockey, who permitted a pass to spiral through his hands and bonk him in the chest, before it fell to turf. Shockey talks a lot for a guy who drops passes a lot. When Shockey overheard teammate Antonio Pierce praising Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee's performance, Shockey said aloud, "A very average quarterback."

I asked why he called Romo sits to pee, who has played brilliantly since replacing Drew Bledsoe, an average quarterback. Shockey denied saying what he said seconds before, claiming he said "a very average player."

"I was just talking to myself," he told me. "I wasn't talking about Romo sits to pee. I'm talking about me."

I have it on digital recorder. He said "average quarterback," not player. People like and appreciate players who are accountable. When Shockey says something impetuous or foolish -- as he sometimes does -- then denies it, he's hard to like.

We like Burress' talent, but how do you like a player who gives up on plays and his team? It was Burress, by the way, not Coughlin, who called timeout with 1:42 left and the Giants, down 20-13, at Dallas' 12. Dallas would've had less time on their final drive if Burress hadn't erred.

We want to like Eli Manning. But he's so passive and sleepy-eyed, so unlikely to display emotional fire, even embers -- and so inconsistent -- that New York's other quarterback, Chad Pennington, remains eminently more likable.

We love Michael Strahan when he's killing quarterbacks. But by berating an ESPN reporter last week, he demonstrated once again that he's a bully.

Tiki Barber's likable. He should talk to Brandon Jacobs, who erupted when one reporter too many asked him about his 3-yard loss on fourth-and-1. "Somebody better get him out of here, man," Jacobs told Giants director of public relations Peter John-Baptiste.

Better yet, somebody take this team away.

Brian Ettkin can be reached at 454-5457 or by e-mail at bettkin@timesunion.com.

That's the first thing out of Shockey's mouth which I've ever liked.

Sounds kind of bitter to me. Romo sits to pee had a very poor game but got them down the field to win when they needed it. Shockey should be eating some crow about now after that "no way in He;; comment."

Nothing I like more than seeing an enemy NFC East team in shambles, but unfortunately this is the only team that had a chance to win the division title over the pukes, and prove that Romoverated is average (if he is event that).

are you being serious or are you looking to bait a Dallas fan into a debate over Romo sits to pee? I really cant see how anyone including Skins fans (enemy of the Boys) could say that Romo sits to pee is average at best???

EDIT: I think even TR1 and Bubba could admit he is better then average!!

Sounds kind of bitter to me. Romo sits to pee had a very poor game but got them down the field to win when they needed it. Shockey should be eating some crow about now after that "no way in He;; comment."

Romo sits to pee's game wasn't that poor. He had at least 4 drops (2 by Owens, one by Julius, and one by Glenn). One of those drops led to the first INT. He also drew a pass interference to Fasano which was a 26 yard penalty that doesn't get put into his stats. And then had Fasano on the last drive where the refs missed a blatant PI that would've picked up more yardage.

Romo sits to pee played alright overall. He had some really great plays (throw at the end to Witten was spectacular) and had some bad plays (second INT and fumble), but his good outweighed his bad easily.

Shockey is an idiot. Cowboys bias aside, I think playing for the Giants would be so frustrating between their coach showing you up on every play, Shockey acting like an idiot, Plax disinterested, Eli sucking, and Strahan acting like a moron.

YAKUZA

I'd take Romo sits to pee in a heartbeat.

Shockey is clearly a moron.

If I was building a franchise right this second and had to take a quarterback for the next 10 years, Romo sits to pee is in the top 5 for me to think about.

Either Shockey doesn't understand the term "average" or he is just being a meathead. Given what he has said in the past, I suspect I know which one it is...

One of the reasons people thinking Romo sits to pee average is probably his demeanor or look (you can not argue with his stats). He is not your typical pro-type-I'm-the-man QB like Palmer, Ben, Aikman, Elway, Peyton, Farve. He looks like the kid who just mowed your lawn.

If anything, this guy is underrated. He must complete 80% of the 3rd-down completion against Giants in the second half while "looking average".

Shockey is an ass and few would argue!

Romo sits to pee has had an incredible six games. He has pocket poise and has shown he can make all the throws (Rex Grossman and Eli certainly cannot). He showed he was human yesterday, which is good for him. We'll just have to wait and see whether he can stay consistent. My feel is he will, but I'm not yet sold.

Shockey is an idiot. However, do I think that Romo sits to pee might be overrated...maybe. I don't know, but something inside me says that Romo sits to pee just is not the real deal.

Either way, I kind of hope that Romo sits to pee is somewhat of the real deal. This is because even Cowboy fans have to admit that Campbell has looked solid and when you take into account that McNabb tore his ACL this season and will be entering his 30s soon and Eli is looking like a bust and will be losing Tiki Barber who is the piece that makes that team go, I have a feeling, that the skins' and boys' will be fighting over the division for years to come.

I know that I have no room to talk about fighting for the division in the near future because of this terrible season. But let's be honest, the Eagles are average at best wthout McNabb and the Giants are having a mental breakdown and are going to be losing their #1 running back next year. I have a feeling that if the skins' are able to get some stability going after this season and not hit the panic button and blow up the roster going into next season, the boys' and us will be battling it out.

Shockey needs to shut up. His team is on a slide and instead of talking about things himself and his team needs to work on, he goes around talking smack about the team that just beat them.

I do think that Romo sits to pee may calm down after defenses learn more about him, but he had a solid second half yesterday, and did what it took to get the win. I've never been into Shockey's act, but now hes just getting ridiculous. I'm not sure why anyone even listens to this bum anymore.

I am not sold on Romo sits to pee! I think that he is all hype.....

I would like to see him in a team like the cardinals and see

how good he is then.

The cowboys offense is making plays for him...so far

I have not seen any plays where it's just him.

See how M. Barber is running, how witten, and that O line is making plays.

Bottom line is Romo sits to pee will be another big ben....With ALL that talent why shouldn't he be good?

Enough :dallasuck

*** Plus the pukes D. Is actually making plays=Short field position

I am not sold on Romo sits to pee! I think that he is all hype.....

I would like to see him in a team like the cardinals and see

how good he is then.

The cowboys offense is making plays for him...so far

I have not seen any plays where it's just him.

See how M. Barber is running, how witten, and that O line is making plays.

Bottom line is Romo sits to pee will be another big ben....With ALL that talent why shouldn't he be good?

Enough :dallasuck

*** Plus the pukes D. Is actually making plays=Short field position

Bledsoe had the same talent around him? :(

Bledsoe had the same talent around him? :(

I've come to my senses that Romo sits to pee won't fall this year.

Dallas defense derserves way more credit than Romo sits to pee does...Romo sits to pee is a good QB, but if he had the skins defense, could he still be making plays and getting the ball back alot???

Archived