Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Archuleta for next season?

RonArtest15

If we're so damn bad on defense...what's the harm in giving AA more playing time to see if he can rebound? I've been as against the guy as anyone else (didn't want him brought here), but if I'm watching Fox and Rogers get there ankles broken on 70 yard TD runs or Sean Taylor take some of the hideously wrong tackling angles he's been doing....why shouldn't we run AA out there to see what if anything he has left?

Not sure if Jacoby and the guys are up on all the details but I remember Adam and Randel El have somthing in their contracts that they can't be cut before a certain date or the whole contract is guaranteed.

Given the Redskins track record, unfortunatly I'm inclined to think you're right.

Hail,

H

I want him to play, the season is over now, why not see what he can do after learning the system a little better?

Why? Because that would make sense. But, you are a Redskins fan, and you know that they do alot of things that make no sense.

Why? Because Gregg Williams is punishing him. He is this year's Lavar Arrington. Gregg gets to punish one player per year, treating him like a bad little boy, humiliating him and losing the respect of his players. It's in his contract.

Why? Because if you put him in now, and starts playing well, then people will wonder why he was replaced so early in the season.

The Redskins are such a joke. It's pathetic. It makes me sick that no one is held accountable for such horrendous mistakes as the Archuletta signing and then sitting. $10 million dollar bonus and then he is on the bench for most of the year on a bad defense? Wow. Nice job setting a precedent. Now, how much will Taylor demand? This team makes me sick.

He's the 2nd highest paid safety in the league...ST's contract is up at the end of the year...how much is HE worth to this organization. I say cut AA and give his money to Sean...hes doing AA's job as well as his own.

ST has a 7 year contract...his contract isn't near being up.

AA should be history next year.

The bottom line is that the 'Skins cannot just release AA unless they want to eat ~$20M(?) of the salary cap next year...it'll all come due next year, at least the bonus money that was pro-rated...I'd have to smarten up on his contract. But let's just say it's $10M. That's 10% for the whole team salary cap next year...the only way to balance that is to cut other players to save $cap room...i.e revolving door since it's not the players, it's the schemes...GEEEZZZUSSS!

The guy CAN tackle, that much IS known...he was leading the team until his benching. The 'Skins and GW put him in a position to fail by trying to MAKE him be a cover guy...which we all knew (By NFL scouts) he COULD NOT do.

Look, I don't care if the 'Skins play a 4-2-5, with AA playing the part of SS/LB, as long as he gets to play the run and blitz...Lord knows he cannot do worse tackling than Holdman or KWright. Remember, the 'Skins released Holdman last year after the season..what does that tell you? Shame on them for bringing his @$$ back!!! They get what they deserve.

So, what do you all think will happen to #40? Is he going to be a Skin or what? Was he even on the punt team today? His jersey looked extra clean...Obviously he is in the doghouse w/ GW, and things aren't looking too promising...so all in all, what do we do about him for next year?

I think he should put his money where his mouth is.

Did you see him on Skinstv.com?

Telling us fans to bring our voices, our support, our "tools" to the game?

We did.

What did he bring?

No team would trade for AA considering Golden Arch's contract.

He is due a $5 roster bonus June 1st, if we cut him before June 1st the remaining 3 years base salary becomes guaranteed money. The remaining base salary equals roughly 5 million. Therefore we are taking a $10 mil hit regardless.

The funny thing is if we do cut him, which we will have to do because no team will trade for him, some other team is going to pick him up for much less because he is still going to be getting paid off of our deal.

GET PAID FROM TWO TEAMS AT THE SAME TIME???? BRILLIANT!

He will not be traded because no team in the nfl will eat that contract. The skins best bet is to let him know that he will never play a game in a skins uniform again. If they do that he might give some of that money back and become a free agent. Either that or cut him and take the 7.5 million dollar cap hit.

He has obviously not lived up to our expectations, but our treatment of him is not helping the situation. Do you think this years situations has provided him any motivation to work himself back in the starting lineup while GW is the coach? If GW had not made a public example of him, we might be able to salvage a decent situational player. I agree that we paid for more than a situational player, but if we could get 2-3 seasons of him playing part time, at least we could mitigate the salary cap hit. But if he is never going to see the field, it makes more sense to cut him after June 1st and take the 1.5 mil hit in 07 and 7.5 mil in 08. If we could have milked 3 years out of him, we could cut him in the fourth year (post June 1st) and only take a 1.7 mil hit that year and a 3.3 mil hit the next year......

much more palatable....but again, this only makes sense if he is going to get at least some playing time....

Maybe this whole thing of sitting on the bench has made him hungry again . . . and rather than cut him and lose all that money, why not try to see if he can help the team?

The season is over, and we absolutely have to start playing for next year and the FUTURE.

Why do the coaches continue to have a win now mentality, let's just have these next 4 games as a tryout for next year, we need to evaluate all of our talent.

As for Arch, I heard his cap hit is not that bad because of certain bonus money and whatnot...I say he's gone unless we get a new d. coordinator.

I think he should put his money where his mouth is.

Did you see him on Skinstv.com?

Telling us fans to bring our voices, our support, our "tools" to the game?

We did.

What did he bring?

Where was this? And, I would play AA. The season is over. There's no doubt that the season is done, we play now for respect (if we can gain any at all) and for pride. Best scenario is that AA improves and possibly becomes a strong force to be reckoned with. I thought he was going to be, I was sad about Ryan Clark leaving, but excited about acquiring AA. He is a good player. But, if he doesn't show improvement, or play with any fire at all, cut him asap. Because, he doesn't seem to want to be a Redskin, and unless he proves he cares about the Burgundy and Gold, get him out of here.

We had an injured secondary when he played. His coverage skills werent great... but thats why you dont man him up on somebody. When Pierson comes back next season, he can play on passing downs, and Archuletta will have the offseason to get out of his funk... if we can upgrade our corners some more this offseason, then next season Archuletta will have a very good year.

Remember... before we benched him he had more tackles than Roy Williams did at that point in time in the season.

... but thats why you dont man him up on somebody. Remember... before we benched him he had more tackles than Roy Williams did at that point in time in the season.

Unfortunately, we're not talking tackling. You don't have to man him up for him to end up in man. Very seldom do you man a safety up anyway, but more often than not they find themselves in situations where there skills to cover become critical. The league knew when he hit the wire that he was a liability against the pass. Yes! He’s probably the best open field tackler in the league. But one who has the skills to cover and an average skill set of tackling wins over all the time with none who can't cover at all. The great DBs are average tacklers, but boy can they cover! Again old # 25 (last year) earned a payday and they didn’t give it to him.

If the opponents running game are consistently reaching the second and third level of the defense, then guess what? AA won't matter much. As far as goal line or nickel we have #50. We have a lot more issues (its more complex than what it appears). We have big time secondary issues, DL issues, LB issues, OL issues, max protect issues (thumper as a TE) oh we have some issues...and there's probably more. I haven't seen the film. We probably have scheme and concept issues on both sides of the ball, too.

We definitely have game planning issue, because our film study is off. We also have discipline issues, as far as bone head mistakes. And I'm looking from the outside; I haven't been in the club house at from 1am on through the night. If you took a lot of these posts and consolidated them you would find the answer because it seems like everyone on this board has pieces of the puzzle but the Coaching staff/FO.

If your player personnel management skills are off then you can’t win through free agency. You can’t set the conditions for winning and put players in the right position to make plays if you have the wrong personnel. For-eee-yay is a perfect example. You know Billick ( all he coaches is situations based on down and distance) walks around with a hood on his head for a reason. He doesn’t have time to be bothered, especially during the season.

Go Skins Win!

Yeah I actually agree with this statement, although I may be blasted for it. We gave this guy a boatload of money . . . why not see what he can do? Early on in the season we saw that he cannot cover and was generally unproductive on the blitz . . . but he even admitted that he became a bit arrogant with the money, and got away from what made him a first round draft pick. Maybe this whole thing of sitting on the bench has made him hungry again . . . and rather than cut him and lose all that money, why not try to see if he can help the team?

The season is over, and we absolutely have to start playing for next year and the FUTURE.

I am as mad as AA as any other Redskins fan but I agree with giving him another chance he definitely has the physical tool to be a top notched safety. When he was coming out of college I was hoping like hell that we would draft him, his workout regimen was one like I have never seen before. If somehow someone can light that fire back under him I think that he can be as good as any safety that is coming out in the draft. Let's remember that Carlos Rogers is not playing well either but we are not calling for his head.

The guy CAN tackle, that much IS known...he was leading the team until his benching. The 'Skins and GW put him in a position to fail by trying to MAKE him be a cover guy...which we all knew (By NFL scouts) he COULD NOT do.

Look, I don't care if the 'Skins play a 4-2-5, with AA playing the part of SS/LB, as long as he gets to play the run and blitz...Lord knows he cannot do worse tackling than Holdman or KWright. Remember, the 'Skins released Holdman last year after the season..what does that tell you? Shame on them for bringing his @$$ back!!! They get what they deserve.

your one of the few people that agree with me on this. - Since his publicized benching, we have given up a couple of big runs every game. - Our defense has problems tackling, so let's bench the best tackler?

People scoff at the idea of making him a outside LB, even though he's literally a couple of pounds lighter than Indy's outside LB's. But I would be interested to see if Gregg Williams could do something as you suggested, making him a hybrid SS/LB that stays close to the LOS and only covers the shallow zones, which he doesn't seem too bad at. - Then, the rest of the secondary would consist of 2 CB's and 2 FS's.

Like you said, everyone in the world knew he wasn't real good in coverage, and now Gregg Williams is upset that he can't cover. - The guy is a great athlete. We need to find a way to best use his abilities.

Archived