Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What lifestyle is easier and more fun? Jesus's way, or your way?And why?

SUNSTONE

Or if you believe that we are all the children of God and therefore like Jesus we are all the sons and daughters of God.

I was raised to believe he was a prophet who carried God's wisdom into the world, but not the Messiah. If that's true and if you believe we are all the children of God than there is no contradiction.

We can label back and forth all day if you like. Evidently I labeled you correctly, "YOUR truth" indeed.

I don't have "all of the answers." If I did I wouldn't need God. I'm the one trying to clear up the falsehoods with regards to Jesus here, nothing else.

Do you even know what self-righteous means?

Well, I looked it up in the dictionary and all they had was this picture

9220Z28.jpg

:laugh: Jus jokes, jus jokes.

Seriously though, coming in here and telling someone their opinion of Jesus is invalid because they don't believe about him what you would qualify, imo.

We can label back and forth all day if you like. Evidently I labeled you correctly, "YOUR truth" indeed.

I don't have "all of the answers." If I did I wouldn't need God. I'm the one trying to clear up the falsehoods with regards to Jesus here, nothing else.

Do you even know what self-righteous means?

I was raised to believe he was a prophet who carried God's wisdom into the world, but not the Messiah. If that's true and if you believe we are all the children of God than there is no contradiction.

There it is right there. You discredited this as even a possiblity right out of the gate because of what your beliefs are. Realize that your viewpoint is not the only one out there and that other Christians believe differently than you do. My point is, I'm not the one stating my belief system as fact and, on top of that, discrediting those within my own belief system who've intrepreted differently than me.

Well, I looked it up in the dictionary and all they had was this picture

9220Z28.jpg

:laugh: Jus jokes, jus jokes.

No that's righteous! I loves me a Z28 :D
Seriously though, coming in here and telling someone their opinion of Jesus is invalid because they don't believe about him what you would qualify, imo.
Yes seriously, self-righteousness is justifying yourself with yourself. I don't do that, and neither should any Christian. Self-righteousness is saying "I'm better than you" because I do this or do that. Christians should be servant-leaders, not exalting themselves. Exalting God is not self-righteousness. That's the fundamental difference with Christ's disciples, we don't try to justify ourselves, justification of righteousness only comes from God, never by our own merit, never by doing "good things." :)

And for the record, I'm against interventionist wars. I think at some times war is justified, but not necessarily in cases like Iraq.:2cents:

There it is right there. You discredited this as even a possiblity right out of the gate because of what your beliefs are. Realize that your viewpoint is not the only one out there and that other Christians believe differently than you do. My point is, I'm not the one stating my belief system as fact and, on top of that, discrediting those within my own belief system who've intrepreted differently than me.
I think you are assuming Burgold is an Orthodox Christian. From his post, it sounds as if he is Muslim or even perhaps Ba'Hai.

I think you are assuming Burgold is an Orthodox Christian. From his post, it sounds as if he is Muslim or even perhaps Ba'Hai.

I'd still like to hear your response to this:

What if we believe what the Gnostic Gospels say? Its possible to believe Jesus was a great man and not the son of God. Its just not possible to believe both of those things and be a modern Christian.

You know what's funny? Seems that most of you overly religious zealots have this bone to pick with us who say that we live by the example that Jesus set. But just because we say that we don't believe that Jesus was the "only" son of god, then all of a sudden our views are not valuable.

However if you do your research you'll realize that there was a counsel (when the Christian Church was being formed) to debate the merits of Jesus and the sole philosophy of Christianity. There was one group that believed in Jesus and the Holy Trinity ... the Trinitarians. Another group debated that Jesus was indeed a good and noble man, but not the son of "God" ... I believe they were called "Aurelians" or something to that effect. There was a debate, on who was right. After pretty much flipping a coin to figure who was "correct", they decided that the Trinitarians were correct. From that point any doctrines of Aurelius were to be turned in to the church and be burned. Anyone that was found to have possession of his writings after the "turn-in" period were to be killed. Now you tell me if Jesus is cool with that? Also tell me that if you have to have a debate and, essentially, a "coin flip" to make a decision, what makes your view 100% correct? Is it because the bible is self-authenticating?

I have explained this many times. Many claim "Jesus was a 'good' teacher" or similar stuff. Is a liar a "good" person? If you don't accept what he claimed about himself, you accept anything he said.

How supercilious to put your explanation/understanding out there as unquestionable truth. Is you're ability to discern what the gospels mean that absolute? Or, is it the abilities of those who taught you that are. If you can't accept that subtilities might have been lost through the translations and interpretations of the bible, you are a very stubborn man.

When I read this I read you saying that Jesus was not a good teacher. I know that's not what you meant.

Many claim "Jesus was a 'good' teacher" or similar stuff. Is a liar a "good" person? If you don't accept what he claimed about himself, you accept anything he said.

Things that Jesus said about himself in the Bible are not direct quotes.

Also, there are many ways same sayings can be interpreted. For example, Jesus said he was the "son of God." If God created all humans and all animals, then all of those can be considered sons of God.

Christ's teaching is all or nothing. There isn't an "in between." He taught that He was the incarnate divine Son, not created. He also taught selflessness and humility, emptying one's self for God and neighbor, not just when its convenient or when we feel like it, but ALWAYS. Many people cannot grasp that or they deep down don't want to submit to what Christ taught about himself.

Always following the teachings is not the same as "all or nothing," as in following the Bible to the word.

Following all the teachings to the word would make sense only if the Bible came from one source, remained unchanged since then, and if there was only one way to interpret it.

I'm the one trying to clear up the falsehoods with regards to Jesus here, nothing else.

And there you have it again. In every thread on religion, you will make this kind of statement, often in relation to the views of other devout Christians.

You have determined somehow that you are qualified to judge who is a "True Christian" , and who is not.

Who the hell is Jesus and where can I learn about him? This is the first I've heard of this guy.

I've been reading about this other guy named "Lucifer". Heard about him in this Jay-Z song. He burns people alive. It's NUTS!

You don't want to know about this Jesus character; because if you do and then don't find the story credible, then you will burn in hell. It's best to stay in the dark about it.

Nope, not an orthodox Christian, though I have worked as a TD for them. My faith isn't all that important to this thread, though I've named it in several others.

This thread never found footing did it? Is it because there are few out there who would admit to leading lives outside of Jesus' way? Folks who would outright shun the Ten Commandments and the teachings of Jesus? Is the question worthy or one just designed to start a fight?

I think the gist of this thread is that none of us are omnicient enough to truly understand God's way. Following the teachings or examples isn't necessarily supposed to lead you to an easy or fun life anyway. That's not the point of living. The point of living is...

You know what's funny? Seems that most of you overly religious zealots have this bone to pick with us who say that we live by the example that Jesus set. But just because we say that we don't believe that Jesus was the "only" son of god, then all of a sudden our views are not valuable.

However if you do your research you'll realize that there was a counsel (when the Christian Church was being formed) to debate the merits of Jesus and the sole philosophy of Christianity. There was one group that believed in Jesus and the Holy Trinity ... the Trinitarians. Another group debated that Jesus was indeed a good and noble man, but not the son of "God" ... I believe they were called "Aurelians" or something to that effect. There was a debate, on who was right. After pretty much flipping a coin to figure who was "correct", they decided that the Trinitarians were correct. From that point any doctrines of Aurelius were to be turned in to the church and be burned. Anyone that was found to have possession of his writings after the "turn-in" period were to be killed. Now you tell me if Jesus is cool with that? Also tell me that if you have to have a debate and, essentially, a "coin flip" to make a decision, what makes your view 100% correct? Is it because the bible is self-authenticating?

:applause: :notworthy

Beautiful post, well done.

And there you have it again. In every thread on religion, you will make this kind of statement, often in relation to the views of other devout Christians.

You have determined somehow that you are qualified to judge who is a "True Christian" , and who is not.

And the irony of it is, he then called others self righteous for calling him out on it :laugh:

I think some people have more fun "the Jesus way" and others have fun "their way".

I, for example, like my way because I've had copious amounts of sex with many anonymous women out of wedlock. It is awesome.

I also like to throw down on Saturday night and going to church hungover as a little tacky.

But those are things I find fun. Some of you may not.

Jesus showed a way. Those who followed him followed the "Jesus way." Others may have followed the same way but called it something else because they followed somebody else, or they saw the way for themselves.

Something that is not called a "Jesus way" is not necessarilty "not a Jesus way."

I think some people have more fun "the Jesus way" and others have fun "their way".

I, for example, like my way because I've had copious amounts of sex with many anonymous women out of wedlock. It is awesome.

I also like to throw down on Saturday night and going to church hungover as a little tacky.

But those are things I find fun. Some of you may not.

Why do you find it tacky? Hair of the dog, I always say. :laugh:

It's kinda like being a "true" redskin fan. It's not enough to support the team, you also have to hate the players and fans of every other team.

"They don't advocate turning the other cheek or allowing the lion's to eat them"

here are the clearly delineated differences between the liberals and Republicans. Feel free to let the lions eat you and your family- but I am fighting back.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dude, all I can do is laugh at you. What a hack.

Archived