Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What lifestyle is easier and more fun? Jesus's way, or your way?And why?

SUNSTONE

I suppose I'm living the Jesus way....

I am Catholic and preparing for seminary. My lifestyle requires obediance, chastity, and poverty.

Is this easy? Absolutely not. More fun? I'd say yes. It's funny how the good things in life take effort. Living as close to the way that Christ did is difficult but extremely rewarding.

If everyone lived as Jesus wanted us to certainly the world would be an easier place to live. Problem is, if you adhere and your neighbors don't, you're bound to be pretty miserable. Example, many in the religious right are pro-war. They don't advocate turning the other cheek or allowing the lion's to eat them. The religious right relish the sword and not the plow.

From what I can gather through research, reading the Bible, school and discussions, I do live the "Jesus Way" for the most part. I just don't believe he was the son of God. He was a really good man. I live my life with regard for other people, compassion and I think I'm a reasonably good person. My life is certainly fun and it's not real easy, but I am very happy with it on the whole.

From what I can gather through research, reading the Bible, school and discussions, I do live the "Jesus Way" for the most part. I just don't believe he was the son of God. He was a really good man. I live my life with regard for other people, compassion and I think I'm a reasonably good person. My life is certainly fun and it's not real easy, but I am very happy with it on the whole.
That's an impossible and contradictory position. :2cents:

If everyone lived as Jesus wanted us to certainly the world would be an easier place to live. Problem is, if you adhere and your neighbors don't, you're bound to be pretty miserable. Example, many in the religious right are pro-war. They don't advocate turning the other cheek or allowing the lion's to eat them. The religious right relish the sword and not the plow.

[Rant] The "turn the other cheek" passage is the most misunterstood and misquoted in all the bible, IMO. Culturally at that time, if you were slapped in the face, it was an insult to the person doing the slapping to turn the other cheek, thus offering it up to be slapped as well. It was an act of defiance. [/Rant]

[Rant] The "turn the other cheek" passage is the most misunterstood and misquoted in all the bible, IMO. Culturally at that time, if you were slapped in the face, it was an insult to the person doing the slapping to turn the other cheek, thus offering it up to be slapped as well. It was an act of defiance. [/Rant]

How about the not fighting back and letting themselves be burnt alive or eaten by lions in the Colluseum? Wasn't that the example of the disciples and the followers. That the pettiness and violence of this world was unimportant. Isn't that the example that Jesus and his followers set?

That's an impossible and contradictory position. :2cents:

Oh come off it. How in the world is it not possible to immitate a model for actions and lifestyle without believing the person was the Son of God? We know what he taught. You're saying I can't follow his teachings, as they're written, without believing he's the Son of God? That's ridiculous. You're just rationalizing your beliefs and exhalting yourself over the non believers :2cents:

How about the not fighting back and letting themselves be burnt alive or eaten by lions in the Colluseum? Wasn't that the example of the disciples and the followers. That the pettiness and violence of this world was unimportant. Isn't that the example that Jesus and his followers set?
Yes. And we saw many examples throughout history of such. Paul the Apostle, John Wycliff, Joan of Arc...etc.

Oh come off it. How in the world is it not possible to immitate a model for actions and lifestyle without believing the person was the Son of God? We know what he taught. You're saying I can't follow his teachings, as they're written, without believing he's the Son of God? That's ridiculous. You're just rationalizing your beliefs and exhalting yourself over the non believers :2cents:

Somebody's not going to heaven.

Fine. Look at Jesus himself. Did he try to raise an army to beat back the Romans? Did he think that the kingdoms of Earth were all that important? Did he fight back when he was captured? Did he bring down holy vengence upon any who would dare touch him or do harm to him? His message was one of anti-war, anti-violence.

Others, have killed in his name, but not for him.

That's not convenient anymore, we have a war to fight :silly:

I heard a priest on a show on the history channel say something interesting last night. The quote was "If you torture the Bible enough, you can get it to say anything." I like that quote.

Somebody's not going to heaven.

:laugh:

What makes it that way? Is it more important to believe than it is to live a good life? If so, I find that to be contradictory.:2cents:

I have explained this many times. Many claim "Jesus was a 'good' teacher" or similar stuff. Is a liar a "good" person? If you don't accept what he claimed about himself, you accept anything he said.

No you come off it. I'll be honest, I'm tired of your self-righteous subjective-relativist crud that you constantly vomit in my direction every time I state the truth about Jesus. :)

Christ's teaching is all or nothing. There isn't an "in between." He taught that He was the incarnate divine Son, not created. He also taught selflessness and humility, emptying one's self for God and neighbor, not just when its convenient or when we feel like it, but ALWAYS. Many people cannot grasp that or they deep down don't want to submit to what Christ taught about himself.

I agree with this stance. I believe the same KAO. I also believe that if Jesus were still here, he would be ashamed of "His" religion. As it has become twisted and manipulated to the ideals others would prefer to push. So, really I think that the question becomes, "Do you live the way Jesus wanted all of us to, or do you live the way the bible wants us to?". Because IMO there's a difference.

Plus all that sand, no Chipotle, and no Redskins football.... yeah, my life is definitely more fun. :)
But he had cool magic powers ... casting spells etc.
Water in to wine, Jesus is fun at parties.

So we can conclude from this, that Jesus was really a Hippie Alcoholic Witch who was cool as f***, but didn't like football that much. I mean he probably played soccer, so I guess it's conceivable that he wouldn't follow football that much ... or maybe he was just gay or some **** like that.

I have explained this many times. Many claim "Jesus was a 'good' teacher" or similar stuff. Is a liar a "good" person? If you don't accept what he claimed about himself, you accept anything he said.

What if we believe what the Gnostic Gospels say? Its possible to believe Jesus was a great man and not the son of God. Its just not possible to believe both of those things and be a Christian.

I live my life by my own set of morals, some of which may be part of the Christian doctrine coincidentally. I don't drink, smoke, don't have promiscuous sex, I give to the homeless, don't embrace greed (at least in some fashions), and of course I follow the golden rule.

To answer the question, my way is perfectly easy for me.

Unless maybe you believe, like many other things in the Bible, there were exaggerations for effect or that the disciples decided after he was dead the he was the Son of God.

No you come off it. I'll be honest, I'm tired of your self-righteous subjective-relativist crud that you constantly vomit in my direction every time I state the truth about Jesus.

Christ's teaching is all or nothing. There isn't an "in between." He taught that He was the incarnate divine Son, not created. He also taught selflessness and humility, emptying one's self for God and neighbor, not just when its convenient or when we feel like it, but ALWAYS. Many people cannot grasp that or they deep down don't want to submit to what Christ taught about himself.

I'll never get how you don't realize you're only spouting YOUR truth. Not all Chrisitians are as stubburn or black and white about it as you fundamentalists. And let's not get into self righteous. I'm not the one with all the answers, just the one telling you to stop acting like you've got them all because you've bought into the book.

I'll never get how you don't realize you're only spouting YOUR truth. Not all Chrisitians are as stubburn or black and white about it as you fundamentalists. And let's not get into self righteous. I'm not the one with all the answers, just the one telling you to stop acting like you've got them all because you've bought into the book.
We can label back and forth all day if you like. Evidently I labeled you correctly, "YOUR truth" indeed.

I don't have "all of the answers." If I did I wouldn't need God. I'm the one trying to clear up the falsehoods with regards to Jesus here, nothing else.

Do you even know what self-righteous means?

Archived