Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Sports Teams

sportsfan882

I'm a NFL fan more than any other sport(Redskins most notably)... but I do follow the Wizards, that's about it. Didn't realize the wide-spread losing of the DC teams though. ughh. Just checking my fantasy stats and Arenas had 3pts against Memphis the other night..sheesh.

I hope the Wizards hit a groove soon...they've been sputtering and only winning at home from what I've seen. At least they have been in most games they've lost and not totally blown out, but still.

A Skins win against Carolina would be nice...winning is always good.

DC sports landscape has been pretty barren for a while now.

I think our greatest "era" was in the early to mid 80's.

Skins were winning Super Bowls.

The Hoyas were going to the final 4 seemingly every year.

The Bullets were in the playoffs every year (though they always lost to the Celtics or 76ers).

The Caps were in the playoffs every year (though they always seemed to lose to the Islanders)

The Orioles (yeah, we've disowned them for a while now and finally have the Nats but at the time they were DC's baseball team) won a World Series and were a contender.

Look at it like this. The DC Divas came away as the champions of the National Women's Football Association and the Washington Freedom claimed Founder's Cup III before the demise of the Women's United Soccer Association. So, it's not all bad. But, yes, we're in the midst of a slump right now. Keep the faith! We'll get it turned around. Promise!

Football is the only game that matters in this town, Washington is a football town, and always will be.

Washington is at its core a basketball town who loves the Redskins. Think anyone really cares about high-school or college football in D.C. Not really. The Redskins are the exception. The city lives for basketball at all levels its just that the Bullets/Wizards have stunk for so long that the Skins superbowls seem recent.

Note: And I'm not talking about the VA and MD suburbs.

I will say, though, it is a nice feeling to finally be a "4-sport city" (city w/NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA teams), a distinction I felt that we were decades-overdue for, and achieved only last year when the Montreal Expos moved here and became the Nationals. The last time we had baseball here, 1971, we did not have a basketball or hockey team of our own.

Washington is at its core a basketball town who loves the Redskins. Think anyone really cares about high-school or college football in D.C. Not really. The Redskins are the exception. The city lives for basketball at all levels its just that the Bullets/Wizards have stunk for so long that the Skins superbowls seem recent.

Basketball??? BASKETBALL???!! dont make me laugh

I will say, though, it is a nice feeling to finally be a "4-sport city" (city w/NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA teams), a distinction I felt that we were decades-overdue for, and achieved only last year when the Montreal Expos moved here and became the Nationals. The last time we had baseball here, 1971, we did not have a basketball or hockey team of our own.

. . .and some of the best is still yet to come!! After the National's new stadium is completed, and the new management becomes fully established, the DC area sports fans will be in for a cultural shock that they have missed out on for decades!!! And that shock is a pennant race, yes, that's right, a pennant race!! How cool would that be?!! A pennant race sharing the spotlight with the Redskins? That would be totally awesome!!!

And as a side bonus, it would really put the pressure on "Danny Boy" to get his act together.

:helmet:

We're talking WASHINGTON! They are BALTIMORE's team! Don't forget that, please!

A lot of us grew up with no baseball team in DC and adopted the Orioles. Some of us don't abandon our team, so the O's are relevent here.

What if you grew up outside of Baltimore after the Colts left town and adopted the Redskins? Would you just drop them when the Ravens showed up?

Ah, but that's where the population and money is at, not in DC. This is a football town, simple as that.

I believe the Caps have a bigger following than the Wizards and the soccer team (Name?) caters mainly to the new immigrants in the area.

Having the Nats back is a big deal for people that were born and raised in this area. Having to watch the Orioles has been torture for the last 30+ years. To a true Washingtonian and fan, they were never DC's team and most of us could care less what kind of winning or losing streak they were on.

Archived