Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to clean house

nneece

Why don't we just fire all the coaches, then we can elect an Extremeskins management team to take over all coaching and personnel decisions next year? We are sure to win a Super Bowl then - it makes toatal fricken sense to me.
I was just about to say the same thing everyone here seems to have all the answers let them coach. Fricken idiots will whine about anything.:cry:

You know what's really annoying? I thought that Dan Synder was this amazing business person. If the redskins were a company and Dan had to answer to stock holders he'd have been crucified a long time ago. Dan should have learned from his previous mistakes ala Vinny. Hire a GM. It really is THAT ****ing simple.

It kind of makes you wonder how Danny got all his money.. then again you could just look at all us buying the skins gear and drinking the kool aid and you'd say, maybe he ain't so dumb afterall. :(

This organization is just a mess. The defense really disappointed me today. The offense will be fine now that Campbell is in. But we need to upgrade one of our assitant coaches or something to a head coach or find a head coach who can work with our assistant coaches because Gibbs is awful. The freakin 49ers got a better record than we do!!! Gibbs does nothing but baby up the players and he is soft. Look how long it took him to take Brunell out. He is the same way behind doors like he is behind in front of the media because if he wasnt , this team wouldnt be playing like this every single game. I know it has been atleast 5 games in a row where it look like this team just didnt care. Gibbs need to get into someones ass whether it be the assit coaches or players. Do something!!

Do you realize how close we were to being 1-9? If we dont pull of that miracle in jacksonville or troy doesnt block that fg kick, we could easily be 1-9. We need a head coach who is not afraid and fuss these assit coaches and players out.

The problem with #1 is that Gibbs is perfectly ok with the structure that the team's front office has. Gibbs' ego is too big to hire a GM even though that's how the team won the three trophies it trots out for every press conference it has for the new free agents they sign every offseason.

BTW, Vinny isn't GM. Joe Gibbs is GM. Vinny is like head of scouting or something. Another thing the redskins have that they don't need is all those "head coaches." They need one chief and a few assistants and that's all.

Vinny is involved in lots of personel decisions, and whenever the conversation turns to GM, ineviably Vinny's name is thrown out there as a defacto. Gibbs is not a GM. He is Head coach and President of Operations. Not the same thing. Most of the teams that have tried to use a dual GM/ coach approach have failed miseribly.

The problem with #1 is that Gibbs is perfectly ok with the structure that the team's front office has. Gibbs' ego is too big to hire a GM even though that's how the team won the three trophies it trots out for every press conference it has for the new free agents they sign every offseason.

The same thing could be said about offensive coordinator a year ago. Yet here we are with Al Saunders as the OC. I think Gibbs master plan was to gradually put more people in place as he becomes less involved and eventually leaves. I don't know what his current thinking is on a GM, but if he felt he was coming up short on offensive playcalling, he is doing worse in the player personnel area.

You can't blame Vinny when Gibbs is President. Gibbs and his staff pick the players put the blame on them. Vinny is just a coffee boy at this point in time. No REAL GM is going to come here as long as Gibbs is President.

Then what is his role? If, as you say, he is a coffee boy then fire him. He is a distraction and associated with the shambles of the past.

:logo: I agree with the House Cleaning idea completley! I was at the Tampa game today, Man the defense was very sub par. Granted I don't see most of the Skins games unless they are on TV here in Floridia. But to see this team in real time was a real shock. There wasan't any spark, enthusiasim or any fire in the belly amongst the O or D lines. The Secondary was piss poor in coverage. Also the fumble by Betts was a killer, correct me if I'am wrong,but isn't Betts in his last year of his contract? I hope so I would like to think the FO would sign Duckett and show Betts the door. On a positive note Jason Cambell showed a lot of poise and presence on the field and throws a beautiful pass.:2cents: :logo:

Clean house is in order. Especially on defense.

Marcus Washington and Sean Taylor are the only two starters on defense that I would want to keep. Sean Taylor needs to be moved to SS and Marcus Washington moved to MLB.

Sean Taylor needs to get his act together, he continues to get called for stupid, costly penalties at critical times in the game. Last week, he stunk the joint out vs. the Eagles--2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, got beaten badly on Eagle touchdown pass, and a missed tackle on a long touchdown run.

Here is a thought I had recently...why not just change nothing this offseason?I mean draft some good prospects, maybe cut some people but:

1. Dont change coaches, keep the plays and philosophy the same. Continuity makes players much better.

2. Dont replace solid contributors like Ryan Clark- pay them to stay here (Betts)

3. Dont think that in order to get the best out of our team we need to shake things up.

4. Dont sign a single free agent we plan on starting.

If we could draft a good SS, CB, or DE to train up think about it, we have Griffin/Salavea/Golston in a rotation which isnt bad, Washington, Marshall, and McIntosh at linebacker- I think Marshall will play well again, and anybody is better than Holdman (how many times did he get sealed inside today???? He was awful, and has been awful) maybe Springs/Human Cushion/Taylor/draft pick or Vincent in the backfield...I think we could go back to being a solid defense.

On offense I dont think we change much. I think Bugel has to get more out of our linemen in the running game, maybe he should start training replacements for Dockery, Jansen, and Samuels becuase Samuels and Jansen are getting old and not playing well, and Dockery has had an absolute nightmare of a season. I think we give them all a good shot for one more year with a good QB to see what they can do...at WR we stay right where we are with the starters. We cut Thrash and Patten, keep up Espy and whoever impresses us in camp next year...maybe get a big WR like one of those 6'4,6'5 220 pound types in the draft just use him on 3rd downs to get open at the marker... Campbell should be our starter next season and for years to come, Portis will be back, I think we can be a good team without cleaning house.

Most intelligent comment so far. The problem is that we tear our house down every year and then have to build it all over again. The best addition that we could possibly make would be for Gibbs to hire a GM-type from outside of the organization (Bobby Beatherd anyone?) to at least be a consultant. He needs to hear from more outsiders when making personnel decisions, not just Danny, Vinny, and the gang, who ALWAYS want to spend on flash.

I live in the saints viewing area. They let proven football players get away through trades and salary disputes in the past that led to the down fall of the team, because they had a sold out superdome every week. Now, my team, the Redskins, have fallen into the same hole. Winning football games fills seats. Redskins were built on a good foundation, but it is now deterorating. Unless something is done soon our home will be at the bottom of NFC. A lot of wrong coaching choices by management have gotten us to where we are today. We lost some good football players in the transitions. Redskin for life. Somebody, please put your foot down,or your hand up so I can see it.

I live in the saints viewing area. They let proven football players get away through trades and salary disputes in the past that led to the down fall of the team, because they had a sold out superdome every week. Now, my team, the Redskins, have fallen into the same hole. Winning football games fills seats. Redskins were built on a good foundation, but it is now deterorating. Unless something is done soon our home will be at the bottom of NFC. A lot of wrong coaching choices by management have gotten us to where we are today. We lost some good football players in the transitions. Redskin for life. Somebody, please put your foot down,or your hand up so I can see it.

Many cuts need to be made: Archuleta, Fauria, Holdman, Rogers, Wright, Brunell, oh man...too many to name

Fauria?? WHat the h did he do to you? Let me make this perfectly clear: Of all the problems the Redskins have, it would take me a day before I would even get up to talking about Fauria.

The only 4 things we need to do is...

try and get rid of Archuleta.

draft or acquire a LB, to replace Holdman with Marshall/McIntosh and fill the middle.

Draft/Acquire a DB and either move Springs to safety or draft safety that can COVER.

A NEW KICKER!!!!

I still think we have great players, we are a few key role players away from putting it all together.

Many cuts need to be made: Archuleta, Fauria, Holdman, Rogers, Wright, Brunell, oh man...too many to name

You want to cut Rogers? I totally disagree with that assessment. This is a guy who was a #9 overall pick and had a promising rookie season. Unfortunately he has struggled this season but most of his missteps can be corrected. Keep in mind that our team has NO semblance of a pass rush and rarely, if ever get any pressure on opposing QBs. This puts a lot more pressure on our secondary. Our entire defense has been playing very poorly.

Other 1st round CBs Quentin Jammer and Terence Newman also struggled early in their careers. Let's give him some more time before we talk about cutting him.

Do you realize how close we were to being 1-9? If we dont pull of that miracle in jacksonville or troy doesnt block that fg kick, we could easily be 1-9. We need a head coach who is not afraid and fuss these assit coaches and players out.

To tell you the truth, I wish we were 1-9. That way we would be that much closer to the #1 overall pick and could trade down with the Raiders or the Browns who should be coveting Brady Quinn.

We've had our busts as long as I've been a Skins fan. Remember Desmond Howard, and that awful Michael Westbrook out of Colorado last decade. Remember Heath Shuler (who was the best quarterback in the league for one month) who got replaced by a 7th rounder. So we have a few busts or maybe we have some guys not playing up to their potential. And it's possible we have some guys who feel the season is over and just want to make it through to next season without getting hurt. (I don't know of any, but I mention it just in the realm of possibility.)

The point is, this is not the first time we've had busts. Draft picks are no more a guarantee of a great future than what a free agent did for his previous team. Fixing a football team is more akin to skillful surgery than it is to amputation of all limbs. As such, the evaluation of what your weak points are vs what you can get through free agency or the draft is a process that begins with the offseason. That evaluation also must take into account things such as "Can the fault with the player be corrected?" Or, "Can we correct the problem by bringing in a new player unfamiliar with our system?"

Anyone who seriously suggests throwing out the entire team may have a full six-pack for a brain, but he's lacking the little plastic thingy to put it all together. A team can only sign a limited number of players through free agency. A team can only draft so many quality players. I am convinced that if there were not a salary cap in football, then Dan Snyder would buy this year's Pro Bowl team. (See Steinbreenner, MLB, Yankees) But he can't. The thought of throwing out the entire team (or even 18 out of 22) is ludicrous with the cap limitations and the draft limitations and the sheer impossibility of signing every free agent.

Having pointed out the obvious, then it's time to consider what does the team do? What positions are so poorly played that only replacement can be considered? I hate the 15 yard cushion and the mistakes we have seen with the young Mr. Rodgers, but I don't feel he is beyond hope. Remember Roy WIlliams being beaten by Santana Moss twice in one game last year? The Dallas fans wanted him crucified and so did his head coach. This year, they think he's a pro-bowl player. The difference is experience and coaching. I feel the same thing for our corner. Put the torches and pitchforks away for a season and let's look again next year. I guarantee as much as I love the Skins, he is going to fume over his performance this season more than you or I do.

From a completely amateur viewpoint (I don't even coach Pee Wee football so I won't consider myself as smart as all the veteran NFL coaches on this board.), I would say we have some good, and some that need a little help. Some that can be improved and some that need to be looked at before the season ends. But cleaning house seems like a really bad idea.

JMHO.

I think #1 either Sauders or Bugel need to go. Preferably Bugel. Either his OL sucks or he does or both but they sure do make a lot of money for being largely ineffective. Either thats Bugels fault or Saunders. Let Gibbs decide but do something.

Draft DL and OL.

Get some team to take Vinny off our hands so that we would have a market for guys like AA and Carter next year, lol. We might be able to get a couple high picks for them.

FIRE Archuleta, and David Patten.

Trade Betts.

Draft CB, and OL.

Brunell stays as #2.

ST gets a new contract... NOW!!!

KEEP!!!!

Portis, Cooley, Campbell, Duckett, ARE, B. Lloyd, S. Moss, and whole OL stays.

Sign Espy.

KEEP!!!!

ST, Washington, Marshall, Rogers, Springs, Wright, and whole DL.

AND START ROCKY over Holdman.

I don't know if all of these moves can be done in one offseason but I would draft/aquire a young CB, young SS, young MLB, and young DE

Replace Dockery with a new guard. Draft/aquire a proven young RT.

Aquire a new kicker.

Our offense really isn't in that bad of shape if Campbell can prove to be a legit NFL QB, which I think he is on his way to doing.

Defense needs 2 new linebackers, a stud DE,a young established CB who can take over for Springs and replace Rogers for the time being, and a new SS who is excellent in coverage.

The highlighted is most of our offensive woes guys. Thank goodness someone else see's this. This team has to establish the run and there is no way that we are going to do that with this line.

BTW, Rabach is not cutting it either. :(

Here's my list for the offense this offseason:

1. Bring in a backup qb to compete with Collins for #2. Brunell should not be on the roster next year and I for one would not feel confident in Collins as our only backup. Let's be intelligent here and bring in a young qb in the very late rounds who could develop like a Garrard or Gradkowski.

2. Re-sign Ladell Betts. He is good in the role he has with Portis playing. I dont think he's capable of starting but I think he fits in well with his ability to catch and relieve Duckett. Plus he's our 3rd down back (A role that Duckett would not be able to fill)

3. Get a new staring left guard who's a mauler...Hopefully a real blue collar type of guy....I was all for starting Dockery early on but he has struggled mightily. I would also draft a young right tackle in the mid rounds who can hopefully develop behind Jansen.

On Defense:

1. We need two new startign defense ends. Wynn needs to be cut as he no longer is a solid contributor. Daniels can move into a rotational role but Carter should have to earn a roster spot next season. I also wouldn't be opped to a big run stuffing tackle but I do think Golston and Montgomery can develop.

2. Get a new starting MLB. Marshall is awful and is best suited to be a 3rd down linebacker. Our run defense has not been the same since Antonio Pierce left here.

3. Cut Holdman and get Rocky in there. We are lacking speed bigtime at linebacker.

4. Bring in a #1 corner. Nate Clements is the ideal fit and he would clearly upgrade our secondary. After seeing rookie corners struggle lately, I would prefer to go the free agency route to fill this slot. Make Rogers battle it out with Sprigns forthe starting job on the opposite side or move one of them to safety (Maybe an end of career switch for Springs if Rogers can step it up next season)

The only spots I would use free agency are at corner and middle linebacker. Anywhere else I would be inclined to trade down with our first rounder and hopefully come out of Day 1 of the draft with 2 potential starters on the lines.....

Archived