Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to clean house

nneece

Because we need is stability. We cant keep changing sh-t every year. Williamson is not that bad that we gotta get rid of him. He didnt tell the Skins to get rid of all defensive players that he and and his staff took time to groom into good players just for us to let them go. We gotta get a plan and stick with it. Not go out each year and get whatever overrated player or coach coming off a good season.

We definately need to do something. The Giants have Eli, who is going to be good for a while and that organization is solid. The Cowboys have Romo sits to pee now, who looks to be the very, real deal, and will have him for the next decade. They are solid top to bottom. Philly has McNabb who will be back next year and is a good QB. They too are a solid franchise although I see chinks in their armor (long term).

We are in danger of being in last place in the East for a long, long time if we don't do something. We better pray that Campbell is decent. He did okay today but he did nothing that gives me too much confidence that he's the answer. Honestly, today the game would've played out about the same with Brunell. The defense is horrid and the offense isn't too far behind. We've got to change the way we acquire talent. Use the draft and leave off of high priced FA's.

With Dallas and NY being up and coming franchises with young good QB's, it really worries me what might happen the next several years. We are in position to suck for a while unless something happens.

So, yes... we need to blow it up.

Besides a kicker and some good backups on defense (oh, and fire Archuleta), I don't see anything wrong with this team in the roster area. They just need to gel. We need to become a real team by having our players play together on the same field for as long as it takes. No more new blood. We need to enrich what we already have, which is more than enough to be a stellar team.

We need to enrich what we already have, which is more than enough to be a stellar team.

I honestly don't see it bro. Honestly. I think we're bad in a LOT of places... maybe QB too... we just don't know. Some of our best players that we DO have in place are ageing quickly too (read: Shawn Springs).

I honestly don't see it bro. Honestly. I think we're bad in a LOT of places... maybe QB too... we just don't know. Some of our best players that we DO have in place are ageing quickly too (read: Shawn Springs).

All I know is that if I hear about one more free agent signing, I might puke. :(

I like Clinton Portis. He just isn't the style of runner that fits Gibbs' offense. Maybe Saunders is changing that. So far, he hasn't. Imagine trying to turn Barry Saunders or Marshall Faulk into a power runner. They both are great running backs, but that isn't their style and they won't succeed that way. I think Clinton will continue to be plagued by injuries if he stays with the redskins. My view is that running backs are a dime a dozen. As long as there is a good offensive scheme and a good o-line, any RB can do a good job. That is why that clinton for champ plus a 2nd-rounder trade was so stupid.

Check this out....I was looking up some stats of Portis and I came across that free online encyclopedia site...Wikipedia.org....This is the last paragraph describing Portis' 2006 season....

"Nagged by injuries all season, Portis suffered another setback in the first quarter of the November 12 shellacking against the Philidelphia Eagles. Portis left the game with hand injury and was replaced by Ladell Betts who although slightly slower is much tougher than Portis. His broken right hand was operated on and since he is a wuss he was placed on injured reserve as of Wednesday November 15th."

I couldn't believe they put "since he is a wuss" on there. Damn, must have been a cowboy fan writing it.

All I know is that if I hear about one more free agent signing, I might puke. :(

Oh, I agree with that and think that is one of our big problems this season. However, I don't think we have much to stick with right now. I hope Jason, but it's too early to tell.

What I'm talking about doing isn't going to happen over one or two seasons. I'm talking about changing the way we acquire talent, going with younger, unproven guys, and cutting a lot of the fat off the roster.

It won't be fast and the next couple of years might be tough one's if we did it like I'm talking about.

I vote that we get rid of Ladell Betts, and make Portis and Duckett our main HBs. Betts is too slow. I looks good when he catches a pass in stride, but as far as just running the ball, he's had plenty of opportunities, and he never takes advantage of them. I met dude, and he's definetly a good guy, but he's gotta go.

Ladell Betts is good as a 3rd-down back. He just needs to protect the ball better. Tiki Barber had the same problem. He changed how he held the football and is a great running back now. I like Duckett. He is that big power (and fast) runner that the redskins need.

Great point. Even if we do have overpriced players it doesn't mean younger players wont beet them out... I'll be the first to admit that JG kept Brunell in to long but the point is that we all knew, including Gibbs, who incase your forgot drafted Jason, is that JC would be the eventual starter. Well here we are.

Draft good, do what you can in free agency and remember that if Payton Manning went down there is no way the Colts make the playoffs... Players matter.

Draft: Eric Weddle

Free Agent: Cory Simon

Here is a thought I had recently...why not just change nothing this offseason?

I mean draft some good prospects, maybe cut some people but:

1. Dont change coaches, keep the plays and philosophy the same. Continuity makes players much better.

2. Dont replace solid contributors like Ryan Clark- pay them to stay here (Betts)

3. Dont think that in order to get the best out of our team we need to shake things up.

4. Dont sign a single free agent we plan on starting.

If we could draft a good SS, CB, or DE to train up think about it, we have Griffin/Salavea/Golston in a rotation which isnt bad, Washington, Marshall, and McIntosh at linebacker- I think Marshall will play well again, and anybody is better than Holdman (how many times did he get sealed inside today???? He was awful, and has been awful) maybe Springs/Human Cushion/Taylor/draft pick or Vincent in the backfield...I think we could go back to being a solid defense.

On offense I dont think we change much. I think Bugel has to get more out of our linemen in the running game, maybe he should start training replacements for Dockery, Jansen, and Samuels becuase Samuels and Jansen are getting old and not playing well, and Dockery has had an absolute nightmare of a season. I think we give them all a good shot for one more year with a good QB to see what they can do...at WR we stay right where we are with the starters. We cut Thrash and Patten, keep up Espy and whoever impresses us in camp next year...maybe get a big WR like one of those 6'4,6'5 220 pound types in the draft just use him on 3rd downs to get open at the marker... Campbell should be our starter next season and for years to come, Portis will be back, I think we can be a good team without cleaning house.

Besides a kicker and some good backups on defense (oh, and fire Archuleta), I don't see anything wrong with this team in the roster area. They just need to gel. We need to become a real team by having our players play together on the same field for as long as it takes. No more new blood. We need to enrich what we already have, which is more than enough to be a stellar team.

There are major holes in the starting defense and depth issues on offense. The eye for talent for the redskins has been very bad. They seem to go after nfl veterans just because they are nfl veterans. The skins need to look for hidden talent in college and in the pros. The hidden talent they do get from college the redskins coaches don't want to play them, instead play nfl veterans (ie. Brunell over Campbell and anybody over Mike Espy). The first thing that is wrong with the redskins is the scouting. Obviously, they do a piss poor job of it. Jason Campbell and Mike Espy fortunately got in here somehow. It's like the redskins' coaches want another nfl team to break in the college talent before they even want to acquire them. The redskins are gonna stink next year if they don't find some new players.

I agree with what Sithlord said earlier in this thread: fire Gibbs. You can't call for a housecleaning and leave him untouched. He created this mess, and to give him another shot -- for old time's sake, is not exactly a "what's best for the team" move. Greg Williams. Last year I would of said, this is the guy for the future. But what happened? One of the things that I truly liked about the Skins over the last few years was the discovery that the defense could tackle -- just like in college ball. Now they're as bad as any bad Skin's Defense I can recall (and that covers some real stinkers). So flush twice, and get a young hungry coach and a GM, and hope we can be as lucky as the Jets or even the Titans. Two teams that are clearly rebuilding, but making real steps at improving. I'll settle for the short-term bad for the long term good. This team....sucks, and the mindset that created it will never make it better.

Archived