Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Campbell Have A Big Arm or Not??

RDSKNFN_48

Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman didn't have a "big arms."

Montana I'll give you.

Jim Palmer, former Orioles pitcher, said that Unitas had a stronger arm than he did.

Aikman had a cannon as well. I think people get confused with big arms and guys like Favre who rifle the hell out of their throws or a guy like Vick whose arm strength is overly ridiculous.

A great show of Aikman's arm strength was in the TD to Ismail in OT against the Skins. That was barely a flick of the wrist from Aikman and he hit a perfect strike on the bomb.

YAKUZA

He has a cannon. If you watched preeason could see that. The 'scouting' reports are done by anyone that claims knowledge of football, real or imagined. If they actually knew what they were talking about they'd have a real job. At least it keeps them off welfare.

Exactly!

Yeah....and Reggie Bush was the 2nd coming of Earl Campbell...accept this version of Earl averages 2.5 yards a carry....

Nobody ever said R. Bush was the 2nd coming of Campbell. Barry Sanders maybe, but only a football idiot would make a Bush Campbell comparision.

What does that have to do with Jason Campbell? Apples and oranges.

OM :cool: was correct with his analogy; "What will make or break Jason Campbell will be his instincts, his smarts, his work ethic, his surrounding cast, his health and the vagaries of fate."

did you read the post that I quoted?

"Jason Campbell led the Tigers to an undefeated season in 2004 and was named the SEC Player of the Year and MVP of the SEC Championship Game. Campbell currently holds the longest touchdown completion in Auburn football history, an 87 yard pass to Silas Daniels in a 2004 matchup versus Louisiana Tech.

I'd say he can get the job done."

Many people here are pointing to Campbell's Sr. year at Auburn as “proof” that he is going to be a good NFL QB. All I’m trying to say is that a good Sr. year (or entire college career) is nothing more than “a good sign”, but hardly proof of anything….

Neither was his recievers though (name one pro from Auburn recieving? Yeah.) No scouts that have seen him recently seem to worry about the long ball accuracy though.

Well actually, he had a heck of a group of receivers in Devin Aromashodu (Dolphins), Ben Obomanu (Seahawks), Courtney Taylor and Anthony Mix (Giants). They might not pan out to be much as pros, but that was one of the best groups in college football for a few seasons. Throw in TE Robert Johnson (who a lot of people were very fond of here) Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams and they had a lot of toys in that offense.

Troy Aikman didn't have a big arm? I have to disagree with you my friend.

That's cool. Feel free to be wrong.

Kidding. :)

Troy's strength was his uncanny accuracy. Never seen a more consistent pinpoint passer. I never really thought of him as strong-armed, though. He had what any good passer needs--enough arm to get the ball there. What made him great was what he did with it.

If Brandon Lloyds comments last night on ESPN radio mean anything, then yes he does.

His comments went something like this:

"Remember that commercial with Michael Vick about a year ago, where he threw the ball up into the stands like 80 yards? That's what I thought of when I watched him in practice."

Watching the SEC Championship Auburn game, it looks like Campbell is underthrowing long passes. I remember a 2005 preseason game where he underthrew a long ball that was picked off by the corner. In the 2006 preseason, it looks like he has looked better.

That's cool. Feel free to be wrong.

Kidding. :)

Troy's strength was his uncanny accuracy. Never seen a more consistent pinpoint passer. I never really thought of him as strong-armed, though. He had what any good passer needs--enough arm to get the ball there. What made him great was what he did with it.

Pretty accurate yes, although I always thought that was overrated. I do remember reading a story though about him pulling a William Tell and knocking a soda can off of someone's head from a significant distance away without touching the player.

I'm a Cowboys fan and I've watched Campbell since he was a freshman (not an Auburn fan, but have seen quite a bit of Auburn football). The guy has a cannon.

He's really a good athlete but always seemed to struggle with the game mentally. Didn't put it together until his senior year with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and the Auburn coaching staff creating a simplistic West Coast Offense.

YAKUZA

I hear this a lot and I wonder how much that opinion is 'colored' (pun intended) by race. His father is a football coach and he's had six different offensive coordinators in the last six years. That's a tough assignment even for 'cerebral' Brady type players.

Accuracy and vision are the only concerns that I have about Jason Campbells physical ability.

Im excited for his chance and for the chances of our team the rest of this season and next year.

Hail!!

The thing that concerns me most is will he be able to take charge and ream out his teammates when needed. He seems so mild-mannered I worry about that. Also will he 'look off' his receivers or stare them down.

in preseason he seemed very composed, even non-chalant. he has a 'presence' out there that MB just didn't have.

I can tell you that I watched video of JC in college.......honestly....I dont see much velocity on his throws....I do see suprising accuracy....but he seems to loft the ball to its target. Additoinally....he really is not as quick as he is touted........I'm not bashing him...I'm just relaying what I concluded following the videos.....

That being said....I'm just a low life fan....I'm sure JG and crew know what they are doing and he will do just fine.

Nobody said Campbell didn't have the strongest arm of his draft class, they ALL said that, and it was by a mile.

The quote you just linked didn't say anything about his arm strength, it was talking about his technique throwing on the move. 2 years ago.

He has a cannon arm, his accuracy on intermediate and short passes was exceptional in college (one of the best ever) and his deep passing accuracy wasn't as good.

Neither was his recievers though (name one pro from Auburn recieving? Yeah.) No scouts that have seen him recently seem to worry about the long ball accuracy though.

I guess we'll find out over the next few games, I'm not worried.

actually I heard the draft gurus say that campbell had the best deep ball of any QB in that said draft.

I haven't seen anything to cause doubt on that either...he hit that TE we let go of in the pre-season bengals game in stride nearly 50 yards down the field,and he also hit an in stride jimmy farris but he dropped it...

Archived