Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Campbell Have A Big Arm or Not??

RDSKNFN_48

I've listened to various scouting reports on Jason Campbell every since he's been drafted and especially the last couple of hours since he's been upgraded to starter. The sentiment about Campbell's arm strength goes back and forth.

Merrill Hodge says he has a "Big Time Arm" and his draft analysis coming out of college goes like this.

ANALYSIS

Well-built athlete with a tall, basketball player's style frame … Has a very strong throwing arm and quick feet to avoid pressure, but is better suited throwing out of the pocket … Sometimes loses accuracy and velocity throwing on the move, as he does not set his feet properly to put all of his force behind those tosses … Still, for a player of his size, he shows good mobility.

Alot of media (idiots) claim that Campbell can not make all the throws and that his arm strength is suspect.

Can anyone clarify this???

Nobody said Campbell didn't have the strongest arm of his draft class, they ALL said that, and it was by a mile.

The quote you just linked didn't say anything about his arm strength, it was talking about his technique throwing on the move. 2 years ago.

He has a cannon arm, his accuracy on intermediate and short passes was exceptional in college (one of the best ever) and his deep passing accuracy wasn't as good.

Neither was his recievers though (name one pro from Auburn recieving? Yeah.) No scouts that have seen him recently seem to worry about the long ball accuracy though.

I guess we'll find out over the next few games, I'm not worried.

Jason Campbell led the Tigers to an undefeated season in 2004 and was named the SEC Player of the Year and MVP of the SEC Championship Game. Campbell currently holds the longest touchdown completion in Auburn football history, an 87 yard pass to Silas Daniels in a 2004 matchup versus Louisiana Tech.

I'd say he can get the job done.

I'm a Cowboys fan and I've watched Campbell since he was a freshman (not an Auburn fan, but have seen quite a bit of Auburn football). The guy has a cannon.

He's really a good athlete but always seemed to struggle with the game mentally. Didn't put it together until his senior year with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and the Auburn coaching staff creating a simplistic West Coast Offense.

YAKUZA

I'm a Cowboys fan and I've watched Campbell since he was a freshman (not an Auburn fan, but have seen quite a bit of Auburn football). The guy has a cannon.

He's really a good athlete but always seemed to struggle with the game mentally. Didn't put it together until his senior year with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and the Auburn coaching staff creating a simplistic West Coast Offense.

YAKUZA

Yakuza (やくざ or ヤクザ), also known as gokudō (極道), are members of traditional organized crime groups in Japan. Today, the yakuza are one of the largest organized crime phenomena in the world.:peace1:

JC could have changed a lot over the past 2 years with the intense coaching he's received. We'll know for sure only on Sunday. Let's be patient with him, pleeese. He needs to experiment with his throws and his legs to test his limits. He'll keep trying to thread passes until he gets intercepted. That's the learning process and we need to allow him to make some really bad throws. And then some again.

He has a cannon. If you watched preeason could see that. The 'scouting' reports are done by anyone that claims knowledge of football, real or imagined. If they actually knew what they were talking about they'd have a real job. At least it keeps them off welfare.

:laugh: NFL Scout isn't a real job?

"Big arm" is one of the most overblown cliches in football.

Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman didn't have a "big arms."

Jeff George, Nolan Frohzcinski and Ryan Leaf DID have a "big arms."

In the NFL, all you need is "enough" arm to make the required NFL throws. You have to be able to hit the deep out, split defenders over the middle from time to time, and throw with enough authority when you don't have your feet set to not lollipop it to the wrong colored shirts.

I don't think anyone who's seen Jason play, either in college or brief preseason appearances here, can say with straight face that his arm isn't strong enough to play in this league. In fact, his looks to be, at worst, above average.

What will make or break Jason Campbell will be his instincts, his smarts, his work ethic, his surrounding cast, his health and the vagaries of fate.

Jason Campbell led the Tigers to an undefeated season in 2004 and was named the SEC Player of the Year and MVP of the SEC Championship Game. Campbell currently holds the longest touchdown completion in Auburn football history, an 87 yard pass to Silas Daniels in a 2004 matchup versus Louisiana Tech.

I'd say he can get the job done.

Yeah....and Reggie Bush was the 2nd coming of Earl Campbell...accept this version of Earl averages 2.5 yards a carry....

Yeah....and Reggie Bush was the 2nd coming of Earl Campbell...accept this version of Earl averages 2.5 yards a carry....

What does that have to do with Jason Campbell? Apples and oranges.

OM :cool: was correct with his analogy; "What will make or break Jason Campbell will be his instincts, his smarts, his work ethic, his surrounding cast, his health and the vagaries of fate."

They say Gibbs never called him "super smart" in any presser. Let's just hope he'll fight his guts out to overcome the mental challenges. :D

Well for what it's worth he is part of a Scout.com article on Quarterbacks at the 05 Senior Bowl and Chuckie's observation.

<<The surprise amongst the quarterback ranks was the way Jason Campbell delivered the ball. He was crisp on his passes and seemed to have the early rapport with his bevy of receivers.

One of three quarterbacks on the South squad, Campbell was the only passer who showed proficiency in completing the deep ball, done with a tight spiral. He also took advantage of some of the weaknesses in the secondary. Knowing that the corners would suffer with held over the top from the safeties due to simple knowledge of each other, Campbell threw far more deep balls and took advantage of the lack of safety help.

That earned him praise from the coach:

"Very impressive. Campbell shows a quick, compact stroke for a big guy," Gruden said before stating the company line.>>

In the NFL, all you need is "enough" arm to make the required NFL throws. You have to be able to hit the deep out, split defenders over the middle from time to time, and throw with enough authority when you don't have your feet set to not lollipop it to the wrong colored shirts.

Brunell couldn't do any of the things you listed. :laugh:

Brunell couldn't do any of the things you listed. :laugh:

But he's a super smart, real intelligent guy who fights his guts out!

Man, I got to tell ya, Mark just impresses me with how he lobs that thing up there, for our backs and our wr's in the flat there. We couldn't ask for anybody better for us back there...

Ok i'll stop now.

GC

Archived