Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Has It All Wrong, Again.............

bulldog

Chris Berman as we know is a tool. Tonight he cinched it by calling the Redskins play at the end of the game on Vanderjagt a 'fluke'.

Yes, it was a fluky ending in that Sean Taylor ran the ball back and the Redskins got just enough yardage off the facemask penalty to kick the winning field goal.

But there was NOTHING fluky about HOW the Redskins turned this game around.

Blocking a kick by gaining penetration at the line of scrimmage is not akin to a kicker missing a field goal try by hitting the upright.

Troy Vincent made a great play. A play that teams work on in special teams prep during the week.

Blocks on kicks and punts are a part of the game just as are kick and punt returns.

To characterize them as fluke plays really is a disservice to players who excel on special teams in this role.

Hasn't Kris Jenkins of the Panther blocked 3 or 4 field goals in his NFL career? It's not luck or a fluke. It's a player who beats his man and makes plays in those situations by design.

If ESPN and other media are going to credit the 80 yard punt return for a touchdown and the 62 yard field goal that are made by the special teams they have to credit equally the players like Vincent that make game changing plays defending on teams :)

Its funny how the spin has been, "How does this loss effect Dallas?" rather than, "How does this win effect Washington?" I heard Parcell's post game press conference 5 times yesterday and only heard Gibbs once.

Whatever. Let "America's team" have the attention, we got the win.

well, obviously the media is interested in seeing if they can goad the volatile Parcells and Terrell Owens into making controversial comments they can report :)

Joe Gibbs is as boring as paint drying in his news conferences, win or lose. He isn't going to throw anyone under the bus or call for drastic changes whereas Parcells has thrown tirades in front of the media before.

Owens of course is a ticking time bomb when it comes to the media.

Eh who cares really. The ending was fluky because it is very rare and unexpected that something of that event could occur, so I could understand a person saying we won was a fluke.

Let the media focus on them Cowboys. We just need to focus on the Eagles and letters that start with a W.

Its funny how the spin has been, "How does this loss effect Dallas?" rather than, "How does this win effect Washington?" I heard Parcell's post game press conference 5 times yesterday and only heard Gibbs once.

Whatever. Let "America's team" have the attention, we got the win.

A win is a win. No fluke. Lucky yes. I believe we will feel the effects of a win if we beat the Eagles then the Bucs. This win was personal for Skins nation. :helmet:

I saw somewhere today that Andre Carter kept getting penitration up the middle on other kicks by Dallas, and when it came down to it, they figured he was the biggest threat of blocking it. They changes their blocking ever so slightly to keep Andre contained, and let Vincent run almost untouched at the kicker.

It was a heads up play by Vincent, plain and simple. More so being it was the first time he ever played on the block squad.

Screw Berman

If ST juked left instead of right.. he would have taken it in for 6. Atleast from what I saw on the TV. He had 2 (3?) blockers to block one lineman and then was off to the races. I would have loved to see another ST 'flying' into the endzone like in Philly but, having Novak redeem himself made it a better story... He said that he was thinking how he is the most hated man in Washington. He seriously thought that every Skins fan worldwide hated him, perhaps that could have been the case. He needed that confidence booster. Making that kick to win the game couldn't have happened to a better kicker.

Just because blocked FGs do not happen as often, media 'experts' claim that when that happens it is a fluke. They say that Dallas should have won and of course they would have--if Vandy made it. However, the SKins would have won regardless if we were able to get points out of the 7 tries at the goaline in the first half. We can play this 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' all damned day. The fact of the matter is, the 7 play stand--happened. The blocked FG--happened. The TO drop--happened. Troy Vincent didn't block the FG by accident. He made a great football play. People will continue to look for faults instead of accepting the actions as they occured.

If Berman wants to play this game... It was a FLUKE that the Skins only won by 3 with all of Dallas' penalty yards. Berman, you are a douche.

chris berman's hair is a fluke.

by the way, ESPN did a nice job of sweeping under the rug that whole Michael Irvin caught with cocaine yet again in the car story last year when Irvin's alibi "I was helping out a friend by keeping it away from him" actually stuck.

let's call a spade a spade here - i think we all know what was going on in that car. ESPN should stop talking about steriods in baseball for 5 seconds and start drug testing its own employees.

Listen is was a "fluky" play but who cares what Berman says...The way i see it the Redskins dont deserve the respect of the media yet. They are 3-5. Great win but not enough to start calling out the media.

YOU KNOW HOW THE REDSKINS CAN SHUTUP THE MEDIA.....KEEP WINNING

I saw somewhere today that Andre Carter kept getting penitration up the middle on other kicks by Dallas, and when it came down to it, they figured he was the biggest threat of blocking it. They changes their blocking ever so slightly to keep Andre contained, and let Vincent run almost untouched at the kicker.

It was a heads up play by Vincent, plain and simple. More so being it was the first time he ever played on the block squad.

Screw Berman

Gibbs said this himself I believe in his presser today and I concur screw berman

You know we have never been the media darlings so who cares what they say. Let them continue the lovefest with Dallas and let's see where it gets them. This game could affect both teams whatever why they allow this game to for the Skins it could build confidence for them they can go on a nice little streak or for the Cowboys it could have a downward spiral effect but it's strickly on the teams.

I'm trying to remember... that bull**** lob to Patrick Crayton to end the 2nd game in 2004... was that deemed equally 'flukey'?

Or what about that bull**** SD fumble on Monday night to hand them the game during the Schotty years...

All of the crap calls, the phantom pass interference, etc.

WEre they flukes also?

What I find most interesting is that everyone saying this game was luck conveniently leaves out the fact that we were, just 30 seconds earlier, in a position to win the game on a 47 yard field goal. Which for most NFL kickers, is a kick they hit 4/5 comfortably.

Funny, the ending to this game would be less amazing, if Taylor had returned it all the way for a TD.....which he almost did. The penalty, which added a play, and barely put us in field goal range....makes the game 'seem' flukey.

If Taylor scored a TD....or if we just recovered the kick with no return, and then won in overtime.....the win would 'seem' more legit.

So, in other words, screw the haters.

Listen is was a "fluky" play but who cares what Berman says...The way i see it the Redskins dont deserve the respect of the media yet. They are 3-5. Great win but not enough to start calling out the media.

YOU KNOW HOW THE REDSKINS CAN SHUTUP THE MEDIA.....KEEP WINNING

I don't agree that it was fluky.

Dallas doubled up on Carter because he was getting penetration. When you take a guy to help block, you allow one guy to be open and/or unblocked. Troy Vincent, along with Carlos Rogers, saw the lane and ran through it, blocked the kick and ST used his great football sense and scooped up the ball. Had ST not have scooped up the ball against Philly for a score or even when he scooped up the ball against Tampa in the playoffs for a score--that could be considered a fluke. ST has a nose for the ball and as always is in the right place at the right time. Good football players seem to do that.

I don't agree that it was fluky.

Dallas doubled up on Carter because he was getting penetration. When you take a guy to help block, you allow one guy to be open and/or unblocked. Troy Vincent, along with Carlos Rogers, saw the lane and ran through it, blocked the kick and ST used his great football sense and scooped up the ball. Had ST not have scooped up the ball against Philly for a score or even when he scooped up the ball against Tampa in the playoffs for a score--that could be considered a fluke. ST has a nose for the ball and as always is in the right place at the right time. Good football players seem to do that.

Yea that type of play happens every sunday..please there some luck/fluke involved in it...

Of course its a fluky ending. One team kicking a game winning field goal with no time left on the clock, to the other team kicking a game winning field goal on an extra play at the end of the game? That's the goddam flukiest ending to a football game I've ever seen in my life. And that's not taking anything away from the excellent effort from Troy Vincent and Sean Taylor. Let's find something else to be outraged about than Chris Berman's choice of adjectives to describe this game.

Archived