Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Mark Brunell a Hall of Fame worthy?

Phixius

Zero chance Brunell gets into the HoF.
100% agreed.

The end of last season and this year should prove to the voters that he is not a dominant QB.

HOF? It remains for the players that have dominated their position.

How anyone can argue that Brunell has done this is crazy.

The only chance he would have had would have been if he could have somehow gotten a career rebirth (ala Rich Gannon) and put up some huge numbers while leading the Skins to the playoffs year after year and maybe getting to a Super Bowl...

If he wins a superbowl...
...If he could just win a Super Bowl . . .
Unfortunately, it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of SuperSmart, Courageous, Fight Your Guts Out.

If Mark Brunell wins a Super Bowl, I will sing 'Hail to the Redskins' to his bust in Canton.

(Yes, I detect the sarcasm)

... But if by some chance, psh, he were to win an SB then I don't see why not, the numbers are there, just, not ring. It'd be cool though, I guess.
If for some strange reason the skins were to win a SB with Brunell then he would definitely go in. Winning the big one with 2 different teams hasn't happened so that would put him in. That being said though. This is most likely his last year as the starter and the Skins aren't going to win the SB this year so the chances of MB going into the HOF are about aero. ...

We have a winner. I can't believe how many people are saying that with a Super Bowl win he would get in. Even if it could, when's that going to happen? This year? If Gibbs starts Brunell again next year, I'm not real excited about renewing my [worst seat in the house, so no big loss] season tickets.

Here's the current list of 23 "modern era" QBS in the HOF ( http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html ):

Troy Aikman 1989-2000

George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983

Len Dawson 1957-1975

John Elway 1983-1998

Dan Fouts 1973-1987

Otto Graham 1946-1955

Bob Griese 1967-1980

Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974

Jim Kelly 1986-1996

Bobby Layne 1948-1962

Dan Marino 1983-1999

Joe Montana 1979-1994

Warren Moon 1984-2000

Joe Namath 1965-1977

Bart Starr 1956-1971

Roger Staubach 1969-1979

Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978

Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964

Johnny Unitas 1956-1973

Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960

Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

Steve Young 1985-1999

Bledsoe, Green, Brunell, Warner aren't even close. We've got three and potentially, what, a max of seven? HOFers in the league at QB now that I can count. Favre, Peyton, Brady, and, with lots of luck, Palmer, Vick & Other Manning (and I'm saying that based solely on name, which is horribly irrational). Maybe McNabb if he can pull one out, or even get back to the SB another time or two. Right now he's nearly the Jim Kelly of our time, which, of course, if it keeps up, puts him in.

Those four from Xbox, though Bledsoe and Green are getting close, can't hang their jersey in the same room with those first three guys (Favre et al), much less the HOF list (though looking back, I do wonder about Namath. What were his stats? That one might be as much personality as winning, and he did fairly well in both of those. Brunell does not).

Brunell was one of the 3-4 best QBs for a few years while he was on the Jags, so it is an intersting debate, but he never won a big one, and he's definitely not helping his numbers now. All the current QBs were successful late in their career, and that is probably what differentiates them from him. As for Trent Green, he will get in just because the reporters want to say "look how much more about football we know, because Trent Green was one of the best QBs of a decade, he was underrated." Don't agree, but that is gonna be what happens.

He's super-smart, super-tough, and he fights his guts out each and every week. But, once you wade past all the Gibbs propaganda - no, there is no way in hell he should ever be in the hall of fame. The only thing that might make him hall of fame worthy is if he benches himself and spares this franchise additional misery.

I have a better chance at winning the lottery. You almost have to as a quarterback win a Superbowl. Not always, like Moon, but almost always. Unfortunately Brunell has been given the chance, and has blown it by his poor play in recent years.

If he takes this team to the Superbowl, then yes he does have a chance. So what do you think? I thought so.

I only looked at the replies on the first page of this thread but I'll weigh in:

I don't think Mark Brunell is HOF worthy, but not because I don't think he's an excellent QB. I was actually the happiest fan in DC when Mark arrived. He was absolutely my favorite NFL quarterback as a Jaguar. He ruled his starting spot there with an iron hand and took the team very far very quickly. he maintained above average stats throughout his career and when the offense here was running smoothly he made the playoffs again.

I think he still has the best QB brain in the game and I wish his body was still in sync with it. He's a tough competitor, an outstanding football ambassador, a stand-up citizen, and a gentleman. If he miraculously wins a Super Bowl, yes- he should go in. I don't see it coming before he's run out of DC. I am one of the sorriest to see his final run go lame. I'm a Mark Brunell fan but as his career stands he falls just short of the NFL Hall of Fame.

Archived