Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the 12th amendment be repealed?

mhd24

I've always thought that the initial idea of the runnet up to the presidency was a way to bring some semblence of balance to the executive office. However, the 12th amendment brought up the running mate. It would interesting how a Bush/Gore, Clinton/Bush, and Carter/Ford executive offices would have functioned.

I understand what your thinking is here. But no.

There has to be a system of checks and balances between the three branches. But IMO, checking and balancing within the executive branch would only make the federal government less effective than it already is.

I understand what your thinking is here. But no.

There has to be a system of checks and balances between the three branches. But IMO, checking and balancing within the executive branch would only make the federal government less effective than it already is.

Plus, it's probably not a good think to have a VP who wants the President knocked off. That's probably in part what they were thinking about when they established the rule.

I've always thought that the initial idea of the runnet up to the presidency was a way to bring some semblence of balance to the executive office. However, the 12th amendment brought up the running mate. It would interesting how a Bush/Gore, Clinton/Bush, and Carter/Ford executive offices would have functioned.

Let me just ask this, would you be more or less inclinded to assassinate a President you disagreed with if you knew that the Vice President was someone you voted for?

Also, in this era of politics (hardly an apt description I know) do you really think that it would be a good idea for a sitting V.P. to be of the opposition party?

BTW, who wants to bet that my post just popped up on the NSA computer at Ft. Meade?

• 5 weeks later...
Let me just ask this, would you be more or less inclinded to assassinate a President you disagreed with if you knew that the Vice President was someone you voted for?

Also, in this era of politics (hardly an apt description I know) do you really think that it would be a good idea for a sitting V.P. to be of the opposition party?

BTW, who wants to bet that my post just popped up on the NSA computer at Ft. Meade?

I'll go ahead and take that a step further and bet that some MIBs will be by to visit you any moment now :paranoid:

I'll go ahead and take that a step further and bet that some MIBs will be by to visit you any moment now :paranoid:
I'll take it even further and wager that we don't hear from Asbury for the next couple of days........ :paranoid:

I'll take it even further, and point out that asbury posted that a month ago and has been posting ever since...... or has he...... :paranoid:

Sorry. If, say, our current "ticket" was Bush/Kerry, then all that would mean is that Kerry would be forbidden to set foot in the White House. He'd have no access to classified information (by Presidential order), no access to the cabinet in any form, and, well, excatly as much authority as the Vice President has now. (Although I suppose if he really wanted to he could go bang the gavel in the Senate.)

I think its a super idea. The way it was originally intended gave "We the People" much wider representation within the Executive Branch (the ultimate in non-disenfranchisment). It should (in theory) give us the most balanced government possible, instead of the wobbling merry go round of partisan wackiness we now allow.

/hail:helmet:

Archived